Taking cruise from Southampton - Questions!

We have the same questions on the best way to get from London to the Southampton pier for the start of the cruise on Tuesday Aug 10 and then to Heathrow airport in time for a 12:15 flight on Sunday August 22. In reading other postings several options have been suggested, National Express, Grayhound, Priness transfers and private transfers.

Me too, and probably dozens of others, at least for the pier to airport leg when we dock on Sunday. I see some are planning to fly into London that morning and go immediately to the pier without a hotel, but I need a few days to adjust to the time zone, and of course to see some of the London sights.

My first priority on this RC is to glean ideas on airlines, transportation, and hotels. Later it will be on what to see in London, and lastly tours on the various ports. But we just booked this cruise so we are probably behind everyone else!:cool:

I received an excellent recommendation from Judy and Jim (here at our RC) about the Hilton Tower Bridge hotel. I believe I will be booking that today. We four had thought about renting private transportation between our hotel(s) and the Southampton Princess pier on the morning of 10 August. I suspect 2-3 couples going together and renting private transportation will be the most convenient and probably also the least expensive way to get from our hotel that morning. Of course, the same thing will apply on the 22nd if one is flying back that day, which my wife and I will be. But we do not yet know which airport.

So, Papa Bill, keep us in mind on that transport on the 22nd. I do not have our return tickets booked yet, but I'll be trying for something at 1200 noon or after that day. I'm guessing we will fly into/out of Heathrow, but I am not sure.

Simon,

Thankyou for the great information about the inexpensive prices.Are they always available as long as you get them in the time frame of several weeks ahead?

Thanks again,

June

The only usual problems are weekends. Megatrain hardly ever have the cheap fares on weekends and Southern Railways don't always have them. However, if you are lucky you can still get the National Express funfares and I think Greyhound fares are pretty constant.

Simon

I suggest you recheck your schedule. We will be on the same cruise and our itenary shows the Crown Priness docking in Southampton on Sunday August 22 at 5:00 am.

We have the same questions on the best way to get from London to Southampton for the start of the cruise on Tuesday Aug 10 and then to Heathrow airport in time for a 12:15 flight on Sunday August 22. In reading other postings several options have been suggested, National Express, Grayhound, Priness transfers and private transfers.

I will keep following the postings on the best transfers.

Me too, and probably dozens of others, at least for the pier to airport leg when we dock on Sunday. I see some are planning to fly into London that morning and go immediately to the pier without a hotel, but I need a few days to adjust to the time zone, and of course to see some of the London sights.

My first priority on this RC is to glean ideas on airlines, transportation, and hotels. Later it will be on what to see in London, and lastly tours on the various ports. But we just booked this cruise so we are probably behind everyone else!:cool:

I received an excellent recommendation from Judy and Jim (here at our RC) about the Hilton Tower Bridge hotel. I believe I will be booking that today. We four had thought about renting private transportation between our hotel(s) and the Southampton Princess pier on the morning of 10 August. I suspect 2-3 couples going together and renting private transportation will be the most convenient and probably also the least expensive way to get from our hotel that morning. Of course, the same thing will apply on the 22nd if one is flying back that day, which my wife and I will be. But we do not yet know which airport.

So, Papa Bill, keep us in mind on that transport on the 22nd. I do not have our return tickets booked yet, but I'll be trying for something at 1200 noon or after that day. I'm guessing we will fly into/out of Heathrow, but I am not sure.

Sundays can be a bit of a pain on the trains. Only on Sunday there is no direct train from Soton to LGW. On most weekends there hardly any cheap train fares, so you would have to pay full whack. Also there are quite often engineering works on weekends which close bits of the line and means transferring on to buses. In these cases I would use the National Express coach. The coach goes directly to LHR so you have no changes to do. If you want to go to LGW, you can change at Heathrow and get a NE coach direct to the airport.

Simon

No, I wouldn't

Train Paddington to Reading;

Train Reading to Southampton

It's about the same speed at the regular Waterloo-Southampton run at 1h26m

dep 11:15 London Paddington [PAD] Plat.8

arr 11:39 Reading [RDG] Plat.4

dep 11:46 Reading [RDG] Plat.8

arr 12:41 Southampton Central [sOU] Plat.4

Well, you've highlighted the first big problem: a change of trains (very possibly with a change of platform) in only 7 minutes. That's likely to cause some stress to anyone handling cruise luggage.

There are two other problems:-

1. Reading -> Southampton runs only once an hour.
  2. It's run by Cross-Country - 'nuff said.

Thanks to all the help here.

I have booked a hotel, the Hilton Tower Bridge hotel.

We found decent airline connections and booked into LHR.

I am still working on the transportation issues, but other on the Roll Call for this cruise are doing the same thing so I expect that will be solved soon also.

Thanks for your generous help!

I am quite certain that the $98 transfer Princess provides is roundtrip. From what I've gathered here, that's not bad at all, esp considering luggage handling and door to door service. Since you are visiting London first, the transfer will go from Victoria Station to Southampton, and then from Southampton to LHR.

Thanks to all the help here.

I have booked a hotel, the Hilton Tower Bridge hotel.

We found decent airline connections and booked into LHR.

I am still working on the transportation issues, but other on the Roll Call for this cruise are doing the same thing so I expect that will be solved soon also.

Thanks for your generous help!

Just so you know, the cheapest way to the hotel is the tube. Trip will cost £4.30. If you are OK with stairs and escalators get the Piccadilly line from LHR to Green Park, change on to Jubilee line to London Bridge. When you come out of the station its about 300 yds to your hotel. If stairs/escalators are an issue, use the 'disabled friendly' route and do LHR on Piccadilly to Earls Court, change on to the District line to Westminster and change on to the Jubilee line there for London Bridge. The trip should take about an hour.

Simon

I am quite certain that the $98 transfer Princess provides is roundtrip. From what I've gathered here, that's not bad at all, esp considering luggage handling and door to door service. Since you are visiting London first, the transfer will go from Victoria Station to Southampton, and then from Southampton to LHR.

Given I've seen cruise lines charge $40 for a one-way trip that's 2 miles (San Diego), I would say $98 RETURN is an excellent deal. Typically cruise transfers here in Vancouver are in the $30 ea way price range, and it's only 10 miles. Southampton -> Heathrow is 75 miles, and nearly 2 hours by coach

If you are OK with stairs and escalators get the Piccadilly line from LHR to Green Park, change on to Jubilee line to London Bridge. When you come out of the station its about 300 yds to your hotel.
Actually, there is a step-free interchange at Green Park. There's a lift (elevator) up from the Piccadilly Line platforms, and then another lift down to the Jubilee Line platforms. Just occasionally, one of the lifts will be out of order - but it doesn't happen frequently.

I think that there is also step-free access from the Jubilee Line platforms to street level at London Bridge.

Actually, there is a step-free interchange at Green Park. There's a lift (elevator) up from the Piccadilly Line platforms, and then another lift down to the Jubilee Line platforms. Just occasionally, one of the lifts will be out of order - but it doesn't happen frequently.

I think that there is also step-free access from the Jubilee Line platforms to street level at London Bridge.

Didn't know about Green Pk G...according to TFL's site its not 'disabled friendly', so thought there were escalators etc.

Simon

It's a very user-unfriendly package of information, but after some mental work you can decipher it from this pair of documents:-

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/step-free-tube-guide-map.pdf

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/step-free-tube-guide-index.pdf

I only know because that's my route home from Heathrow, if I go straight there on the Tube.

There is an alternative step-free route, which avoids the long walk at Green Park: Change from Piccadilly Line to District Line at Barons Court or Hammersmith (cross-platform change), and then change from District Line to Jubilee Line at Westminster (lifts between platforms - I think you have to go up to the station concourse and then down to the Jubilee Line in separate lifts).

For those without luggage, some think that changing from Piccadilly Line to Jubilee Line at Green Park is easier if you just take the up escalator all the way up to the station concourse level, and then the down escalator back to the Jubilee Line.

There are too many good, easy transportation options from London for the Princess transfer from Victoria to Southampton to be anywhere near a good deal. You're essentially paying $80 bucks to save a taxi ride.

But there are other factors involved besides the cost. Not having to drag around 2-4 pieces of luggage on/off cabs and buses or trains is a big issue for some passengers. That's why I am hoping to find another couple or two to share the cost of a private van to run us directly between LHR to our hotel, and from the hotel to the pier, and from the pier to LHR. It will probably cost more than the cab-bus/train-cab option, but less hassle of dragging the luggage on/off would be worth it to some of us!

Globaliser,

Since you are an expert, I need some help. What is the best route from Heathrow to the Hilton Hyde Park on a Sunday? I read that it is near both the Queensway and Bayswater stations. Which would be best with one rolling suitcase and one carry bag each?

Also, which is the best route to go to Southampton using the train and/or bus on a Tuesday?

Thanks so much,

June

There are too many good, easy transportation options from London for the Princess transfer from Victoria to Southampton to be anywhere near a good deal. You're essentially paying $80 bucks to save a taxi ride.

But there are other factors involved besides the cost. Not having to drag around 2-4 pieces of luggage on/off cabs and buses or trains is a big issue for some passengers. That's why I am hoping to find another couple or two to share the cost of a private van to run us directly between LHR to our hotel, and from the hotel to the pier, and from the pier to LHR. It will probably cost more than the cab-bus/train-cab option, but less hassle of dragging the luggage on/off would be worth it to some of us!

To be fair, when I posted this, I thought the price was one-way from Victoria to Southampton. Being that it is round-trip makes it, of course, a much better deal.

Convenience is an important factor, and there are surely times when private car/cab transfers are best (and I have used them myself). However, I was attempting to give an idea of the transportation options in London to posters from NA who aren't used to having an array of easy, relatively inexpensive public transportation options, which is so much more developed in the UK/Europe than in Canada or the US.

Of course, using those Public Transportation options has disciplined me to never bring more luggage than I can carry/roll myself. I shall spare you my full no-you-don't-need-14-suitcases-for-a-cruise rant;), but suffice it to say that once you learn to pack light, it's truly liberating.

What is the best route from Heathrow to the Hilton Hyde Park on a Sunday?
If none of the relevant Tube lines are suspended for engineering works that day: Piccadilly Line to Barons Court (or Hammersmith if the weather's bad), then District Line to Earl's Court, then District Line to Bayswater. I don't think that you can get a direct District Line train from Barons Court/Hammersmith to Bayswater, hence the need for two changes. But both changes are cross-platform changes; at Earl's Court the next train towards Bayswater may actually be on either side of the platform.

If one of the relevant Tube lines is not running that day, then I think that there may be a case for getting the Heathrow Connect to Paddington and getting a cab there - it's quite a short trip from Paddington. Alternatively, get a cab from Earl's Court if you can get as far as that.

Also, which is the best route to go to Southampton using the train and/or bus on a Tuesday?
Personally, I would get a cab to Waterloo and get a fast train to Southampton.

To do it by public transport, probably Circle Line from Bayswater to Westminster, changing (step-free) to the Jubilee Line to Waterloo, from which there should be step-free access to the mainline station.

I should emphasise that when I say "step free", it means that it's fine for wheelie luggage. I don't think that all of the "step-free access" is always suitable for wheelchairs. But then, wheelchair users will find the Tube extremely difficult at the best of times.

If one of the relevant Tube lines is not running that day, then I think that there may be a case for getting the Heathrow Connect to Paddington and getting a cab there - it's quite a short trip from Paddington.

Actually, if you're taking the Heathrow Connect, you could just get off at Ealing Broadway and take the Central Line to Queensway.

.....Of course, using those Public Transportation options has disciplined me to never bring more luggage than I can carry/roll myself. I shall spare you my full no-you-don't-need-14-suitcases-for-a-cruise rant;), but suffice it to say that once you learn to pack light, it's truly liberating.

Ha! After 40+ years of cruising, and perhaps 25 cruises, that "lesson" has yet to be learned, especially by my wife!:D Our plan is to take two checked bags and two carry-on bags....trust me, we will be lucky to have that few!:eek:

As far as transportation, I will admit to being spoiled....many of our cruises have sailed from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, where the airport to pier transportation is a 10 minute taxi for 8-10 USD. While public transportation in London is certainly very good, and much better than in many US cities, I am frankly surprised that there is no good, reasonably inexpensive, one segment transportation from the pier to the airport and vice versa. Boarding a taxi to catch a train to get on the tube to get a taxi to get to the airport while wrestling with luggage is NOT my idea of a pleasant end (or start) for a journey! Well, it can certainly be an adventure though...........................:cool:

While public transportation in London is certainly very good, and much better than in many US cities, I am frankly surprised that there is no good, reasonably inexpensive, one segment transportation from the pier to the airport and vice versa.
Except in a small minority of cases, this is because the cruise does not depart from London.

The three main UK cruise ports for big cruise ships are Dover, Harwich and Southampton. These are, respectively, 104 miles (1¾ hours), 112 miles (2 hours) and 74 miles (1¾ hours) by road from Heathrow airport.

The true London comparison to your Fort Lauderdale experience would be to fly in to London City airport and embark on a cruise from Tower Pier. That would be about 6½ miles, 20 minutes and £20 in a taxi.

We have a wheelchair, and for our July cruise with Princess we intend to:

• From LHR, take Express train to Paddington, then cab to Comfort Inn near Victoria
  • HoHo bus for a day
  • Princess transfer from Victoria to Soton
  • Princess transfer from Soton to LHR.

Sound good?

Thanks in advance for your recommendation.

I would fly into Gatwick, where the Gatwick Express takes you to Victoria Station. A good hotel (4 stars) nearby is the Grosvenor, which has been mentioned before. Victoria is the departure point for lots of tours, and of course, the Princess transfers. It is not the cheapest option, but it is the most convenient. I am not fond of hauling suitcases on the train myself.

Archived