Passenger Dies On Atlantis Cruise

meddy

It will be interesting to see how Atlantis uses the Allure. I was just looking at a friend's pictures of Oasis (he got off yesterday) and they're just frigging unbelievable. I imagine that if they could get people to buy into there being several themed parties at once instead of a masssive deck party, it would work perfectly. It really is an amazing-looking ship.

I'm surprised they chose to book Summit over Solstice. The Solstice class just has such a cool vibe. I think they've ordered 5 overall so there will be plenty of time and opportunity to re-visit the class.

I'm surprised they chose to book Summit over Solstice. The Solstice class just has such a cool vibe. I think they've ordered 5 overall so there will be plenty of time and opportunity to re-visit the class.

The Summit has a smaller passenger capacity then the Solstice so where he's getting rid of capacity in one area he's increasing it substantially on the other cruise (Allure). Smart business move IMHO. I'm surprised he even did a March cruise with the Allure being not too much before it. Hopefully the Summit gets some Solstice rehab in dry dock. Good question to go ask on the Celebrity forum. :)

Just curious where they will hold the parties. If they do it downstairs around the theatre pool I can't imagine it must be fun having a boardwalk balcony cabin. I suppose the Central Park shrubbery will be very well utilized :D

I was waiting for someone to comment on this!!! LOL :D:p:D

The Summit has a smaller passenger capacity then the Solstice so where he's getting rid of capacity in one area he's increasing it substantially on the other cruise (Allure). Smart business move IMHO. I'm surprised he even did a March cruise with the Allure being not too much before it. Hopefully the Summit gets some Solstice rehab in dry dock. Good question to go ask on the Celebrity forum. :)

In the Ask Atlantis Forum someone suggested a combined winter cruise on Allure. Rich said that he wouldn't think of combining the January and March cruises. The March passengers prefer a port intensive trip, us January cruisers really like the balance of port and sea days. They moved to San Juan as the point of departure because it gave them more port opportunities. Leaving out of San Juan cuts down the distance to the more interesting ports.

Does Atlantis take any precautions to have medical staff on the ship who are familiar with drug overdose scenarios? I doubt the average cruise doctor has much experience in those matters.

I haven't dabbled in the circuit scene in a few years, but last I noticed "Tina" was still the drug of choice (clever name for crystal meth). It's hard stuff compared to X and coke.

I wonder how much that would cost and why should the non-drug using cruisers have to pay extra to subsidize safety precautions for for people that risk their lives and engage in an illegal activity? Plus, such a "safety net" would only encourage more self-destructive behavior from the circuit queens.

Glad to hear that the Caymans have gotten even more friendlier! I would love to go back and stay at the Sunshine Suites again. It was a nice trip and the hotel has since changed it's name but it was a great way to get to the Caribbean and to see cruise ships for the first time. A month later I took my first cruise (another graduation present) and now I'm just hooked on cruising! :D Sandra at the Front Desk was just fantastic at the hotel though. I'd get up early each morning and swing by and say hello and walk 7 mile beach. Oh the memories!!

Are you just off the Liberty today?

No, we opted for RSVP this year. Got tired of going to the same ports and having the same entertainment year after year with Atlantis. The Eurodam cruise should be fun since it's going to Curacao for Mardi Gras.

I wonder how much that would cost and why should the non-drug using cruisers have to pay extra to subsidize safety precautions for for people that risk their lives and engage in an illegal activity? Plus, such a "safety net" would only encourage more self-destructive behavior from the circuit queens.

Given their pricing I wouldn't think cost would be a consideration for some extra precautions. It's about public relations. Having deaths reported in the media isn't good for business -- for Atlantis and their charter cruise lines.

Does Atlantis take any precautions to have medical staff on the ship who are familiar with drug overdose scenarios? I doubt the average cruise doctor has much experience in those matters.

I think the average cruise doctor deals with a lot of alcohol-related issues, but not sure about drugs. Sometimes they have other things to deal with...on an Atlantis cruise a couple years ago, they made an emergency announcment on the ship intercom to see if a urologist was onboard...not sure what that was about, but we had a few ideas :eek:

I don't think Atlantis needs to supplement the care available on board. The doctors are well trained for most emergency situations and they have a state-of-the-art ICUand ER on the Freedom class ships. I happend to be there saturday night because a close friend was injured. The doctor I met said that the medical care available on board is more advanced than that in her hometown, she is from the USA.

It was a pretty slow night in the infirmary when I was there. I spent time talking to the night nurse. I asked him if there was a big difference in the Atlantis cruise from a straight one, jokingly he said that our comedians are funnier. I followed up asking if there were a lot of drug problems, he said "crazy kids do stupid things whether they are gay or straight."

I did not specifically ask about the death. I assumed that they would not tell me about it. They aren't governed by US health laws but I imagine they would still respect the privacy of the deceased.

Deaths on board cruise ships are actually quite common and most are totally unaware of the incident. Common cause is a heart attack.....passengers of a slow life style that push their limits with food, alcohol and late hours....usually the elderly.

many ships carry coffins onboard, just incase (according to the logistics officers I have spoken with).

Seems to me the last Atlantis death was drug related......

In this case...it could be almost anything...age not a deciding factor.

If drug related, it will not help the Atlantis image within the gay travel community......many think the cruises are riddled with drugs...circuit boys and all night parties...which is not the case.

Regardless...what a shame.

Years ago, I was on a cruise where there was a death the first day out. There was a square dancing group onboard and here were these (mostly) elderly folks wearing polyester and taffeta ( :eek: ) in the blazing hot sun. One of them had a heart attack- I heard the emergency calls over the PA system but just thought someone was hurt. Didn't realize someone had died until the following day at breakfast.

When I was pondering Atlantis vs RSVP for my first gay cruise, one of my friends (who had done both) insisted that RSVP would be a MUCH better fit for me- largely because of the party/drug atmosphere of Atlantis.

GXmanDC - You are right about the medical center staff onboard having a lot of tools at their discretion. They are floating ERs essentially and can stabilize most any patient that doesn't require an in-depth body opening surgery. Those have to go ashore at the next stop unless it's really absolutely necessary. I've toured the ship's facilities onboard the Atlantis Solstice sailing because I was actually doing a paper for college on the Noro-virus and the doctor offered. The medical facility was slow that day but it was the first sea day. :)

I believe the nurse was right that drugs are onboard cruise ships either gay or straight cruise. I think the type of drugs may differ between the cruises though. Marijuana is a common offender in the hallways of the straight cruises whereas I think on gay cruises the offending items are little bit more odorless.

~J

There are usually MedEvent doctors at the parties, many of whom are my friends. They have special experience/knowledge of the scene and they do an amazing job. You'll notice most of these episodes don't take place from people overdoing it at the parties where they are visible--they usually happen in the cabins. And I agree deaths on cruise ships are very common--just because someone is in their 30's doesn't mean it was a drug overdose people!

Not to assume....

Last year in Ft Lauderdale, visiting friends a car came crashing into the front yard and hit the home owners new car.

The guy looked either drunk or on drugs. Doors were locked and the car remained in gear....rear tires spinning.

We yelled at him to open the car door.....or shut the engine off. In a dazed look he just sat there. Being in the gay neighborhood near bars...a neighbor commented that that is what happens when you over drink or drug out.

Well after 911 got the police and parametics there.......and while everyone made comments about the guy being so messed up...what did we learn....diabetic shock. No blood alcohol. Emergency team got him under control real fast.

So perhaps this death was not drug related...reagrdless of cause, regardless of age...it is still a shame.

• 3 months later...
It is a shame.

You're right about the number of deaths on ships. Most people don't know that ships have morgues, just in case. I had to go to medical on Solstice and became aware because of all of the activity that a woman had died. We were just pulling into St. Martin and they were preparing her husband for what happens next (police interviewer, coroner, etc) in these cases. His wife had come to the medical centre the night before with a very bad headache and was dead within the hour. She had an aneurism, they thought. She was realtively young, too.

I do hope the death was not drug-related.

On the QM2 which we sail about 3 persons pass each cruise. I actually asked one of the crew(much to the chagrin of my friends)They get asked about it often. Where the passengers are more elderly, this happens. They actually have a morgue on board.

Here in Europe GHB is more the problem. It's a liquid which has be very carefully dosed and should only taken at certain times. Needless to say very easy to OD. It's actually some sort of paint thinner which you can easily take with you.

Thankfully the Tina epidemic hasn't hit over here as everybody was already aware of it when it hit the US.

During my Atlantis cruise i was a bit surprised that it seem to be completely ignored while you could see it was very present. There was a Dr Bob and Bill W meeting scheduled as always but that was all. (I think that's more for people with alcohol problems, correct me if I am wrong)

Coming from the Netherlands I am used to a more open and pragmatic approach. However something I do not expect in the same way abroad.

This is why we never do Atlantis/RSVP cruises. We stayed in PTown some years back..My God you should have seen the medivacs treating the messed up cruisers from a 4 hour cruise youring the bay. Circt boys from NY are really messing things up in PTown. It's one of the reasons we only go there off season.

On two of the four Atlantis cruises we've been on, at least one person died. So no surprises there.

The partyboat atmoshere isn't for us.(even when in my 20's) The other thing I dislike is the much higher price, though I feel that partially comes from "chartering" the ship.

Archived