Are formal nights formal in the Caribbean?

Nylsor

Do men wear tuxes on formal nights in the Caribbean? What do the ladies wear? We will be cruising the Caribbean for the first time ( woohoo) next year and I want to know what we should wear on formal nights. We both love to 'dress up' but we don't want to look silly or out of place. We are cruising with Princess.

Ros

Formal means formal.

You won't be overdressed wearing gowns and tuxes on those nights.

Some men will be in dark suits, and some women will be in cocktail dresses or dressy pant outfits. All are acceptable.

I wear long dressy dresses that are gown length - but not "pouffy, because of packing and wrinkling considerations. DH wears either his tuxedo, or if he's put on some pounds, a dark suit and formal tie.

Princess is an upscale line and most people will be beautifully dressed.

Thanks for your replies. I should have explained that we have cruised with Princess previously (Beijing to Bangkok - Diamond Princess) and my DH did wear a tuxedo ( or evening suit as they are called in the UK) and I wore beaded gowns with all the trimmings. I posted because I thought I had read on this board that Caribbean cruises tended to be less formal and a bit laid back and that maybe a tux would be a bit too formal. I certainly won't be wearing beaded dresses in the Caribbean - I'll be looking for gowns in silk or other lightweight luxury fabrics. A good excuse to go shopping!

Just a note - we were amazed at what folk wore on formal nights - on one occasion in the Vivaldi dining room the Maitre'D seated a table of three couples where the ladies were dressed beautifully and the men wore short-sleeved open-necked shirts and casual trousers. We later heard them bragging in the bar at how they had ( expletive) Princess's formal night dress code. They weren't from the US or the UK. There didn't seem to be any problem about the men being so casually dressed. I felt embarrassed for their partners.

Ros

My experience is that it isn't so much the Caribbean that sees less formal wear on formal nights. My experience has shown that the shortest cruises tend to be somehwat less formal, such as three-nighters from Florida to the Bahamas. Even on those cruises, however, you will see most men in tuxes or dark suits and women in lovely gowns and very dressy pants sets and cocktail dresses.

Truth is, I couldn't care less what people wear ilong as they don't stink. Everyone should be comfortable and the important thing is that everyone enjoys themselves, not their attire. Never judge a person by their clothing as long as it's clean - that's my motto. Attitude is everything to me.k

Truth is, I couldn't care less what people wear long as they don't stink. Everyone should be comfortable and the important thing is that everyone enjoys themselves, not their attire. Never judge a person by their clothing as long as it's clean - that's my motto. Attitude is everything to me.

Truth is, I couldn't care less what people wear long as they don't stink. Everyone should be comfortable and the important thing is that everyone enjoys themselves, not their attire. Never judge a person by their clothing as long as it's clean - that's my motto. Attitude is everything to me.

I think you've contradicted yourself a bit here.

I agree that attitude is everything, and when someone shows up at a formal dinner improperly dressed, on purpose, to thumb their nose at the dress code, then they're attitude stinks - whether they've showered or not.

If people don't want to dress formally, that's fine, just select a cruise with no formal evenings, or if aboard a ship that has formal evenings, and they don't want to participate in a formal dinner, then select one of the many other dining options where casual attire is acceptable.

Thanks for your replies. I should have explained that we have cruised with Princess previously (Beijing to Bangkok - Diamond Princess) and my DH did wear a tuxedo ( or evening suit as they are called in the UK) and I wore beaded gowns with all the trimmings. I posted because I thought I had read on this board that Caribbean cruises tended to be less formal and a bit laid back and that maybe a tux would be a bit too formal. I certainly won't be wearing beaded dresses in the Caribbean - I'll be looking for gowns in silk or other lightweight luxury fabrics. A good excuse to go shopping!

How fun! You've got a whole year to find some great things.

Just a note - we were amazed at what folk wore on formal nights - on one occasion in the Vivaldi dining room the Maitre'D seated a table of three couples where the ladies were dressed beautifully and the men wore short-sleeved open-necked shirts and casual trousers. We later heard them bragging in the bar at how they had ( expletive) Princess's formal night dress code. They weren't from the US or the UK. There didn't seem to be any problem about the men being so casually dressed. I felt embarrassed for their partners.

Ros

Boorish behavior can too often be seen on cruise ships.

I agree, I'd also feel embarrassed for their partners.

I agree that attitude is everything, and when someone shows up at a formal dinner improperly dressed, on purpose, to thumb their nose at the dress code, then they're attitude stinks - whether they've showered or not.

If people don't want to dress formally, that's fine, just select a cruise with no formal evenings, or if aboard a ship that has formal evenings, and they don't want to participate in a formal dinner, then select one of the many other dining options where casual attire is acceptable.

Jane, that is very well said. I couldn't agree more. You rock!!

Well said. I agree with all you said.

The cruise lines have guidelines for what to wear. If people don't want to follow those that are set out for formal nights, then they have the option to dine elsewhere onb the ship. I have been on cruises where I have dressed up for formal nights an others where I didn't care to, so we had dinner elsewhere where we could be more casual. The guidelines to me don't seem to be that hard to follow and it's not that difficult to look nice.

I have seen women in long dresses as well as cocktail dresses and pants with dressy tops on formal nights. On my next cruise I'm considering taking a long dress to wear on one of the formal nights. I've seen men in a tux, dress military uniforms and nice pants and nice shirts for formal nights. ANy of these outfits look fine. You don't have to go "all out". It's the jeans, shorts, tank tops and ball caps that I hate to see.

Jane, that is very well said. I couldn't agree more. You rock!!

Thanks!

Sorry for the typo, I meant their attitude, not they're attitude. :o

I do actually speak english good.:D:D

Saw it after it was too late to edit.

Do men wear tuxes on formal nights in the Caribbean? What do the ladies wear? We will be cruising the Caribbean for the first time ( woohoo) next year and I want to know what we should wear on formal nights. We both love to 'dress up' but we don't want to look silly or out of place. We are cruising with Princess.

Ros

You will see a few men in tuxs the majority wear a jacket paired with a dress shirt and some wear ties.

Truth is and there is so many people telling ONLY their version, there are some on here that tell you how they want to see you dressed because they are closed minded.

Just don't wear jeans on formal night and you will be fine.

You will see a few men in tuxs the majority wear a jacket paired with a dress shirt and some wear ties.

Truth is and there is so many people telling ONLY their version, there are some on here that tell you how they want to see you dressed because they are closed minded.

Just don't wear jeans on formal night and you will be fine.

Thanks for starting my day with a smile! I only wear jeans to dog walk with my friend or to tend to the garden. They really don't compliment my sixty-two year old rear end! Thanks for all the replies.

Ros

Thanks for starting my day with a smile! I only wear jeans to dog walk with my friend or to tend to the garden. They really don't compliment my sixty-two year old rear end! Thanks for all the replies.

Ros

You never know about people...:p but just wanted to answer the question from my own experience.

Over the years we've backed off from dressing formal to what I consider semi-formal. Husband wears a suit and I wear a cocktail dress and we fit right in, sometimes we're among the most dressed up :rolleyes:

I personally would love it if the cruise lines went back to "formal" as it should be, men in tuxedos, women in long dresses. Alas, as our packing limits are reducing, along with people lowering their standards (such as we have) it seems as if formal just isn't there any longer.

I love to see people dressed formally and raising that standard. I don't think a couple should feel out of place at all by raising the bar. So go for formal, I think it's a great thing to do. If I could get my husband into a tux again, you bet I would.

The biggest issue I have with a tux( we don't even own one) is packing it, or for that matter any man's suit. For this upcoming So. Carribean cruise, I am taking 2 simple, one black and one red short cocktail dresses and DH is taking dressy/tropical shirts that compliment, with a nice pair of dress pants. Like someone said, anything goes as long as it is not jeans and tank tops.We strive to be comfortable. :)

We cruised the Southern Caribbean with Princess last year and found a good mix of what people chose to wear for formal nights. There were many people with full tux and red carpet gowns to cocktail dresses and dress slacks with sport coats.

There were very few people who did not take a little extra care with their outfits. I hate to judge or complain about someone else's choice of what to them is acceptable formal wear as I don't know their reasons behind their choices.

My DH and I wore our outfits we wore to our daughter's wedding (black 3 piece suit and beaded long gown) and 2 of our son's weddings (again long gowns and 3 piece suit), but others at our table chose various outfits according to their budget and lifestyle.

We sat with a couple from Scotland who went all out with his dress kilt and a tux and she with exquisite gowns fit for the red carpet. Their lifestyle includes many formal events with successful business associates from around the world and their outfits reflected their wardrobe contents at home.

Another set of table mates were a couple from England who were celebrating their anniversary. She wore a simple but very pretty cocktail dress and he dress slacks and a sports jacket on 2 formal nights, the others she wore dress pants and a pretty black top and he dress slacks and a long sleeve shirt with tie. They are retired on a small fixed income and this trip was quite a splurge for them. They were from a very small farming community and it made no sense to them to spend a large sum of money to purchase outfits they would have no opportunity to wear again. They had thought of rental, but could not justify the monetary outlay for something they would only wear the once when they could spend the same amount for a couple of acceptable pieces they could keep in their closet at home for future use.

The 3rd couple had over 150 cruise days and their wardrobe reflected that they have the opportunity to wear beautiful outfits regularly. She wore a different gown each formal night (we had 4 of them), and he had 2 different tuxes and a 3 piece suit that he wore.

We all were comfortable, happy with our personal choices, and all appreciated each others outfits. We were there to enjoy ourselves, not to judge others, and our table mates had the same attitudes. We laughed ourselves silly, enjoyed our meals, and had the time of our lives. Just choose what works for you, is within your budget, and makes you happy. It is all good, and your cruise will be what YOU make it. Enjoy!

Archived