Newer Wine Package (Over) Analysis--aka Version 3

woof22

I'd forgotten about this thread. On the Radiance in Sept, I checked first with 2 different people to make sure they had a decent supply of the wines I wanted to drink and after assurances (which I know are probably not worth much), went ahead and ordered the Platinum 10 for the 2 week cruise.

I don't have the figures anymore but there were about 8 different wines in the package which I drank and cost less in the package. I know this because I actually compared the wine package cost of about $30 per bottle with the dining room menu prices (I boarded early and it was a slow 1st day). In particular, the Kendall Jackson Chard and Cab were both very good and less in the package.

• 4 months later...
The one thing I noted for our Radiance cruise last month was the new pricing per bottle was dependant on number of bottles order in a package. The 12 bottles gold pkg gave a price close to the old package price per bottle which was the same (within pennies) no matter what number of bottles package was order. It is now advantageous to share larger # of bottles package with another couple/person rather than order two lesser bottles packages.

Cost on my reservation is as follows. Yes, these are Canadian funds but it still seems to be quite a difference. Maybe I should order ahead.

Gold

5 bottles $133CD

Platinum

5 bottles $143 CD

Diamond

5 bottles $178 CD

Also, add $20 gratuties:confused:

Thanks to Critterchick posting the newest wine lists (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1128829) I was able to update my over analysis of the Wine and Dine packages.

Just like before I went overboard.

None of the prices include the 15% gratuity.

If you would like a copy of the spreadsheet just shoot me an e-mail at kappel 202 at yahoo dot com (no space between kappel and 202). I'll send it to you. It's an Excel 2007 file, so if you need the file saved as an older version of Excel just let me know and I'll save it that way before I send it to you.

For reference here are the original messages (I'm feeling lazy and don't really want to copy down the notes from there.):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=789821

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=805524

Thanks for putting this togeather. It will help us on our up coming cruises!

Is there any way to see the wine list prices (by the bottle) on line? Or did anybody by chance take a photo of this list that they can send me?

You can see only a portion of the wine list on line. Look in the Gifts & Gear section of the website.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi - the wine package costs seem to have gone up as well, with the introduction of the new wines .

This is what my booking shows:

Gold 5 $155

Gold 7 $205

Gold 10 $281

Gold 12 $315

Plat 5 $165

plat 7 $225

Plat 10 $305

Plat 12 $345

Diamond 5 $205

Diamond 7 $275

Diaomond 10 $380

Diamond 12 $455

With these new prices, I don't see the value in the plan at all unless you are going to only order the few that above the threshold. Or did the prices per bottle go up too???

"Hi - the wine package costs seem to have gone up as well, with the introduction of the new wines .

This is what my booking shows:

Gold 5 $155

Gold 7 $205

Gold 10 $281

Gold 12 $315

Plat 5 $165

plat 7 $225

Plat 10 $305

Plat 12 $345

Diamond 5 $205

Diamond 7 $275

Diaomond 10 $380

Diamond 12 $455"

Anyone have a link to where this information came from?

mpbmark: if you log into Royal Caribbean and look at the precruise buying options, wine package is one of them. Those are the prices that are listed.

Thanks. That's what I would have thought and tried about 1/2 hour ago. It took me to a reservation page, so I entered my cruise info and was told the packages were not available this far out. :rolleyes: Well, yeah that kind of makes sense since I'm not cruising for a year.

Maybe I'll clear my "cookies" and try again so the page doesn't recognize me, but what an inconvenience. :mad:

Edit: Big surprise. That didn't work. :( Maybe I'm still going to the wrong place. :o Can you post an actual web page link? Many thanks. :)

Thanks. That's what I would have thought and tried about 1/2 hour ago. It took me to a reservation page, so I entered my cruise info and was told the packages were not available this far out. :rolleyes: Well, yeah that kind of makes sense since I'm not cruising for a year.

Maybe I'll clear my "cookies" and try again so the page doesn't recognize me, but what an inconvenience. :mad:

Edit: Big surprise. That didn't work. :( Maybe I'm still going to the wrong place. :o Can you post an actual web page link? Many thanks. :)

I couldn't get the prices until I got closer to my cruise either. Probably don't want you to buy too far in advance in case they raise their prices yet again :) the prices that were on mine for a Mediterranean cruise in June 2011 were 155/165 and 205 (I think on this one...was only looking at the first two). Here's the link so you should at least get to the selections: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experience/html.do?exCode=950.

This is before tip, so it is $31 and $33 per bottle before tip. If the prices that started this thread are correct, many of the bottles are cheaper than that. My husband also thought he saw a service charge, but I don't know. We tend to analyze things, and our calculations show we think we can do better going it alone and have more flexibility. I see a year or so ago these prices that started this at $113 and I'm jealous, that would certainly have made it worth while.

I couldn't get the prices until I got closer to my cruise either. Probably don't want you to buy too far in advance in case they raise their prices yet again :) the prices that were on mine for a Mediterranean cruise in June 2011 were 155/165 and 205 (I think on this one...was only looking at the first two). Here's the link so you should at least get to the selections: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experience/html.do?exCode=950.

This is before tip, so it is $31 and $33 per bottle before tip. If the prices that started this thread are correct, many of the bottles are cheaper than that. My husband also thought he saw a service charge, but I don't know. We tend to analyze things, and our calculations show we think we can do better going it alone and have more flexibility. I see a year or so ago these prices that started this at $113 and I'm jealous, that would certainly have made it worth while.

Thanks. I went to the link and I've been there before. Clicking on wine packages sends you to the reservation form whcih is a dead end this far out. The sample wine menu is about 18 months old and a good portion of the choices are no longer available.

Last year I had the pleasure of sitting at the Captain's Table (don't ask as I have no idea how or why I was slelected) and we talked a little about the house wines. The Captain indicated RCCL was going to be changing wine suppliers and he thought it would be a definite upgrade. He also indicated the entire wine menu was undergoing review so maybe what you or your source saw reflects that activity. Hopefully, more info will be available in the coming months.

Thanks. I went to the link and I've been there before. Clicking on wine packages sends you to the reservation form whcih is a dead end this far out. The sample wine menu is about 18 months old and a good portion of the choices are no longer available.

Last year I had the pleasure of sitting at the Captain's Table (don't ask as I have no idea how or why I was slelected) and we talked a little about the house wines. The Captain indicated RCCL was going to be changing wine suppliers and he thought it would be a definite upgrade. He also indicated the entire wine menu was undergoing review so maybe what you or your source saw reflects that activity. Hopefully, more info will be available in the coming months.

Hmmmm...good to know. I wonder if there is a way to get Royal Caribbean to give us an updated list of what is included. The list that is on the price sheet for our cruise does not seem to reflect any change. That would make sense as to why the price is so much higher all of a sudden. But why don't they post the real choices if it has changed. What they have listed doesn't make sense at all for the price. hope they figure it out soon, we leave in 2 months.

I just checked the pricing for my July sailing on Serenade and the prices are the old prices - will they be higher if I wait?

I am wondering if we shoul pre-book to guarantee lower cost.

Wait - just realized the prices on the spreadsheet include gratuity - sorry.

I just checked the pricing for my July sailing on Serenade and the prices are the old prices - will they be higher if I wait?

I am wondering if we shoul pre-book to guarantee lower cost.

Wait - just realized the prices on the spreadsheet include gratuity - sorry.

Strange...I wonder if the price varies depending on where you are cruising? Where are you going? We are crusing the mediterranean out of Rome in late June and they show higher prices. That would not be very nice of them now would it if they discriminate.

Someone put a lot of time and effort organizing this info.

Problem is, these are ALL very ordinary everyday wines. Absolutely nothing exciting. They are fine for drinking, don"t get me wrong, but I looked at the list, and my first reaction was " YAWN "

And yes, I was a wine professional, earning a living as the Senior Wine Consultant for a very major wine company. I taught introductory, intermediate and advanced level courses.

The prices are highly inflated, as are ALL drink prices on RC.

Myself, I prefer to select individual bottles for specific meals or situations.

Irregardless, it's never a bad thing to be on a cruise ship with a glass in hand.

Cheers

When are wine packages released for sale? We are at 4 weeks from departure and the web site still says check back later.

Same thing with the wine packages for our up-coming cruise. I finally called RC and asked about when the packages would become available for online purchase. She seemed surprised that they were not available and said she would look into it. The next night, the packages were available! :)

Someone put a lot of time and effort organizing this info.

Problem is, these are ALL very ordinary everyday wines. Absolutely nothing exciting. They are fine for drinking, don"t get me wrong, but I looked at the list, and my first reaction was " YAWN "

And yes, I was a wine professional, earning a living as the Senior Wine Consultant for a very major wine company. I taught introductory, intermediate and advanced level courses.

The prices are highly inflated, as are ALL drink prices on RC.

Myself, I prefer to select individual bottles for specific meals or situations.

Irregardless, it's never a bad thing to be on a cruise ship with a glass in hand.

Cheers

I am not a wine professional but I agree that the wine choices in the packages are not remarkable. However, for us it becomes a budget issue...we now have 4 wine drinkers in our family. We purchase the package and enjoy that with dinner. We then take our "BOGO" coupons to vintages or the champagne bar and enjoy the better wines.

• 3 months later...
Thanks to Critterchick posting the newest wine lists (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1128829) I was able to update my over analysis of the Wine and Dine packages.

Just like before I went overboard.

None of the prices include the 15% gratuity.

If you would like a copy of the spreadsheet just shoot me an e-mail at kappel 202 at yahoo dot com (no space between kappel and 202). I'll send it to you. It's an Excel 2007 file, so if you need the file saved as an older version of Excel just let me know and I'll save it that way before I send it to you.

For reference here are the original messages (I'm feeling lazy and don't really want to copy down the notes from there.):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=789821

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=805524

Even after a year this post keeps on giving. Thanks for all the hard work.

anthony

• 2 months later...

This analysis is FANTASTIC!!!! My husband and I are huge wine fans and love to try new wine. We are taking a Christmas cruise on Voyager of the Seas with my sister and her family. We have been debating what to do with respect to the wine package. You have given us a wealth of information to help us make an informed decision. For us, the Platinum packaage looks like the way to go. The 12 bottles will be perfect since we have many wine drinkers traveling with us.

Thank you again for the terrific information!!

Hi,

We have gone the wine package route on our last two cruises and both times opted for the 10 bottle platinum package. In 2010 it cost 350 dollars and this year it cost 300 both inclusive of tips.. I keep all my RCI stuff and checked last years receipt as I thought there was an error somehwere in that maybe charged us for the top package, or else by mistake we bought 12 and left 2 bottles behind. But no it showed 10 bottles platinum 305 and sevice brought it to 350.

I just can't figure this out.... Any ideas on why the difference...

• 1 month later...

You are correct, the prices have dropped according to what I see on the RCI site for my cruise next week in the Caribbean. We did a Mediterrean cruise last year (2010) and the platinum package was $305 for 10 bottles and 345 for 12 bottles (Before 15% Gratuity). The RCI site RIGHT NOW says the platinum package is $265 for 10 bottles and $300 for 12 bottles (before 15% gratuity).

I'm REALLY SURPRISED RCI dropped their prices and don't want to be unpleasantly surprised that the online prices are incorrect. I'm only buying the wine on ship because of OBC I want to use, plus want to make sure they have the Kendall-Jackson Vintner's reserve Cab and the Estancia Pinot which are good wines, and of course the best savings of the package according to the terrific analysis at the beginning of this thread.

Can anyone confirm from a recent actual sighting what the platinum package costs on ship?

You are correct, the prices have dropped according to what I see on the RCI site for my cruise next week in the Caribbean. We did a Mediterrean cruise last year (2010) and the platinum package was $305 for 10 bottles and 345 for 12 bottles (Before 15% Gratuity). The RCI site RIGHT NOW says the platinum package is $265 for 10 bottles and $300 for 12 bottles (before 15% gratuity).

I'm REALLY SURPRISED RCI dropped their prices and don't want to be unpleasantly surprised that the online prices are incorrect. I'm only buying the wine on ship because of OBC I want to use, plus want to make sure they have the Kendall-Jackson Vintner's reserve Cab and the Estancia Pinot which are good wines, and of course the best savings of the package according to the terrific analysis at the beginning of this thread.

Can anyone confirm from a recent actual sighting what the platinum package costs on ship?

We just got off the Voyager TA, and were told by one of the bar staff that drink prices are higher for European cruises. In fact, the bar server was going around verifying that higher priced drink menus had been replaced by the the lower priced ones. He thought it had something to do with VAT tax, but I thought that was an odd explanation because their billing system can already handle various US taxes applied to drinks while still in port. For whatever it's worth, that's what we were told.

You should be able to verify pricing by bringing up your cruise on Royal's website and checking out the wine package there.

Thanks Navigator, you have put my mind at rest. I didn't like to think that I had been diddled last year and didn't realise it LOL ....:)

This year, I booked ahead on the RCI website and paid the price that you are seeing, it was the same price in dollars on board. We travelled the end of August. The exchange rate had moved after I booked the package, and I figure I would have saved about 10 euro if I waited till we boarded, but thems the breaks..

It is funny that there hasn't been any mention of wine package reductions in Europe from 2010-2011. CC'rs are always on top of everything, or maybe I just missed those posts....

Archived