Jewel....best cabin choice for G cat. mid ship.

Hello all my C.C. friends. You have all been so helpful to me in planning my cruises. (Only 2 so far, but hopefully many more to come!!) So I come to you for more advice....

We are at the last stages before booking our next cruise...the Jewel out of New York in May. We are booking 2 cabins... either inside or most likely a G obstructed ocean view. I am trying to see from the deck plans which G cabins might be best. I'm sure the size/lay out is the same...but does anyone have advise on the view?? Anyone have experience as to which cabins might have a picture window vs portholes?? Which cabins might have a less obstructed view??

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!!:)

I would pick one that is running the long way rather than across ship direction because the beds will be heading front to back instead of side to side. and so when the ship rocks you rock like a cradle instead of head to toe. There is not much view from any of them, some have a glimpse of water, others mostly of boat, but you do get the light.

We have booked these cabins twice on the Dawn and the Jewel. Can't see much, the view is about 80% obstructed. You can see a little piece of sky is all. Be aware that this area is brightly lit at night and the light does come into the cabin. Also, Crew members often work outside your window so you need to be careful when you are undressing etc and close the curtains.

We have booked these cabins twice on the Dawn and the Jewel. Can't see much, the view is about 80% obstructed. You can see a little piece of sky is all. Be aware that this area is brightly lit at night and the light does come into the cabin. Also, Crew members often work outside your window so you need to be careful when you are undressing etc and close the curtains.

That's great advice! I was going to book an obstructed view on the Gem but decided against it. Thank god!

hmmm...well I hadn't thought about either of those issues. Daylight is great during the day, but light pouring in at night I'm not sure about. How well do the drapes keep out the lights??

I guess I'll have to think about workers outside our window.

I do like the thought of the room being a little bigger than the insides, but I'll need to see if it's worth the extra $160.. to go to a G from a JJ.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Anyone else with specific cabin numbers that you either had a good or bad experience with??

Thanks.

We were in 8100 and our friends in 8102 on the Jewel. The view was great from both rooms and we were able to sleep with the curtains open. Not too much night time light and we never saw a crew member. We booked oceanview guarantees and were assigned to these handicapped obstructed view cabins. We were very happy with the rooms and loved being on deck 8.

We were in 8100 and our friends in 8102 on the Jewel. The view was great from both rooms and we were able to sleep with the curtains open. Not too much night time light and we never saw a crew member. We booked oceanview guarantees and were assigned to these handicapped obstructed view cabins. We were very happy with the rooms and loved being on deck 8.

The curtains did pretty good but couldnt stop all the light due to gaps. It must be a differance of cruises because we had crew members outside our window every single day on the Dawn. On the Jewel we saw less crew but still saw some. Not that this bothered us. The crew are working and not interested in looking in cabin windows. I also loved being on deck 8. Very central.

We booked these cabins because we had no choice. My mom is handicapped and can't cruise without a handicapped cabin and these were the only ones left. I'm sure you were placed in them at the last minute because you were a guarantee and no one handicapped needed these cabins. That is fine but I doubt NCL will let abled bodied pax book these handicapped cabins in advance.

We had an obstructed view cabin once but the window was between 2 boats. Had a pretty good view. At night the drapes did a good job of keeping any light out.

Umbarger...do you need to be very careful changing your cloths "for the workers outside"or "because of them"?

We were on the Jewel last July in the cat. G cabin. You had a slight view, but we did have a worker in the life boat one day. We were in 8600 and we had a terrible problem with the noise from the bar directly below our cabin. The music was so loud we had a hard time sleeping late at night. My parents were in the next room, 8598 and heard nothing. The hotel manager was quite aware of our room and the other side 8602 and offered us an upgrade. Unfortunately, we didn't complain until late into the cruise so we didn't take it since we were traveling with other people. Just beware of those 2 cabins unless you don't go to sleep until after 1 am. We've learned to check to see what is above and below our cabin from now on. Other than that, the cabin was fine.

• 1 month later...

we are in 8602 for the upcoming may 1st sailing.. ive been told by my trusted CC family that that cabin has the least obstructed view.. cant wait!!! when are you sailing in may??

We were in 8054 and a perfect view. You can take 8052-8056 and be fine. Then on the other side take 8552 -8556 and you will be fine. Wide open view, no life boats just a small Maint. boat and it is not in the way. These cabins are forward but it rides fine.

We were in 8574....

80% obstructed with 2 oblong windows...you get light in but very little view unless the ship is tendered and the lifeboats are down!

Click on pix to view a few more...............

2680037790044007101GdHiEa_th.jpg

• 3 months later...
We were in 8054 and a perfect view. You can take 8052-8056 a
[code][html][/html]
[/code]nd be fine. Then on the other side take 8552 -8556 and you will be fine. Wide open view, no life boats just a small Maint. boat and it is not in the way. These cabins are forward but it rides fine.

I am not sure if Tls630 will see this qt on the abobe comment on best G rooms - if anyone can answer, I'd be most appreciative!

I want to book one of these rooms upon this recommendation.... looking at the deck plan it appears there is a wall outside the 2 most forward -- so is

that really just blank space ?? and therefore full view as in a regular ocean view? If so I am curious why the G category??

I am choosing this cat over an inside for the added sq ft -- but would enjoy seeing a bit of something as well..... :p

Thanks to those of you trying to answer our detailed qts!

Anyone know when the Jewel was last refurbished.... those interior pics look very bright - red and purple carpet?????

I am not sure if Tls630 will see this qt on the abobe comment on best G rooms - if anyone can answer, I'd be most appreciative!

I want to book one of these rooms upon this recommendation.... looking at the deck plan it appears there is a wall outside the 2 most forward -- so is

that really just blank space ?? and therefore full view as in a regular ocean view? If so I am curious why the G category??

I am choosing this cat over an inside for the added sq ft -- but would enjoy seeing a bit of something as well..... :p

Thanks to those of you trying to answer our detailed qts!

Anyone know when the Jewel was last refurbished.... those interior pics look very bright - red and purple carpet?????

We are in room 8580 and 8578 and we were told(ncl) that they are 100% completly obstructed views.The cabins were the only 2 OV left that we could get cabins next to each other which is the more important than the view for my family.

We were also told(ncl)that the sq ft is the same for inside cabins vs OV cabins.

Also the ship has not been refurbished since it set sail in 2005 according to my UG to cruises book.

HTH

Nice pics cdncruzer! We tried to get that room but you beat us to it :).

We were down the hall in 8568 and we were very happy with our room. Although we didn't get much of a view b/c of the lifeboats, it suit us perfectly. It provided the natural daylight that we wanted (we stayed in inside cabins b/4) and was more spacious for the 4 of us. Worth the extra money. Bigger bathroom where there were privacy doors for the WC and the shower. There is only a shower door in the inside cabin bathroom. We had crew members outside our window once. Our cabin was in a good location. The drapes did an excellent job of keeping the sunlight out in the mornings.

• 3 months later...
I'm sure you were placed in them at the last minute because you were a guarantee and no one handicapped needed these cabins. That is fine but I doubt NCL will let abled bodied pax book these handicapped cabins in advance.

Not true - I'm looking at this cabin right now for May '11 (8 months away) - and NCL is offering it to me as a OK category room... I'm not in the need of a HC'ed room but need the quad space.

Not true - I'm looking at this cabin right now for May '11 (8 months away) - and NCL is offering it to me as a OK category room... I'm not in the need of a HC'ed room but need the quad space.

I am confined to a wheelchair. I do not think this cabin should be accepted since it is handicapped. Especially 8 months before a cruise. How are handicapped cruisers supposed to be able to cruise if all the handicapped cabins are taken by able bodied?

Shame on NCL. These cabins should be held in restricted inventory until closers to departure. If at around 6 weeks before the cabin is still available then it can be booked by able bodied.

Hopefully NCL is telling people the cabin is disabled so potential able bodied cruisers can refuse it.

I am confined to a wheelchair. I do not think this cabin should be accepted since it is handicapped. Especially 8 months before a cruise. How are handicapped cruisers supposed to be able to cruise if all the handicapped cabins are taken by able bodied?

Shame on NCL. These cabins should be held in restricted inventory until closers to departure. If at around 6 weeks before the cabin is still available then it can be booked by able bodied.

Hopefully NCL is telling people the cabin is disabled so potential able bodied cruisers can refuse it.

I TOTALLY AGREE with you. This is one of my concerns... Yes, I'm in the need of a quad for a family of 4 - the square footage is nice in those areas, BUT someone might need it being 8 months out. I can agree that if it was a month prior or so, then sure, book it up! But at this stage of the game, I haven't taken it, just because I'm afraid that someone like yourself might need to book their vacations and then I'll get that phone call or my TA would and asked to be moved. Which I wouldn't mind, but then that limits me to maybe an iffy room or a place on the ship where I DONT WANT to be. So then I'm the one that has to be sort of inconvenienced.

NCL is not telling me that it's a HC room - they are telling me what category cabins are avail and I saw it and looked it up.

I've noticed that 5 of the 8 cabins are gone too - wonder if they are really taken by people that need them

• 2 years later...
We were in 8052 on the Jewel in December. It's a category G so it is "technically" obstructed. We had a perfectly lovely view.

hi Meiying. we have 8052 booked for alaska on the pearl , which i have been told has the same layout as the jewel. can you tell us more about any noise from deck 7 below it or if the crew were a problem for you. thanks so much for any extra info.

Archived