Security Screening and Prohibited Items Policy

MargaritaPlease

We cruise a lot! We have never given our bags to the porter! We always carry our own bags on board. Never been questioned about not checking bags. Many others we know also never turn bags to porter.

This policy must be very new. No one has ever told us that we must check bags.

Once we checked a bag on boarding the QM2. They lost it big time! I had to look for it my self! Received no help from Cunard staff! Did find it it had really been roughed up. must have fallen off of something! It was gowns and a couple Tux so no damage to the contents.

I see no reason to not carry our own bags on! Will continue to do so! Look around as you board, many carry their own bags on and never check bags with porter! A lot less work for the porters if all carry their own bags!

This email new??

carnival_logo_onwhite.gif

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Security Screening and Prohibited Items PolicyDear Guest,

Before you get ready to have the most fun you ever thought possible on your upcoming cruise, we must share some important security information with you.

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits certain items onboard, i.e., weapons, candles, irons, alcohol, or other dangerous goods. According to our policy, Carnival conducts security scanning of all luggage and if prohibited items are found, they will be removed and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case. For additional information, please refer to the terms and conditions of your cruise ticket contract.

IMPORTANT - All luggage must be unlocked before turning over to the porters in order to avoid any inconvenience to you or delay in delivering the luggage to your stateroom.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. We can't wait to see you on board!

Sincerely,

Vicky Rey, CTC

Vice President, Guest Services

dot.gifdot.gifdot.gif

I see no reason to not carry our own bags on! Will continue to do so! Look around as you board, many carry their own bags on and never check bags with porter! A lot less work for the porters if all carry their own bags!

I can tell you if you cruise out of Mobile and New Orleans, you will have to turn your bags into the porter if they do not fit in the x-ray machine. I have seen several folks turned away to go turn in their bags.

Dave

We travel with very compact bags! Always train to the dock! So you know we have very small compact bags!

The xray machine is made to xray the bags! I have bags that do fit through the machine with room to spare!

I can tell you if you cruise out of Mobile and New Orleans, you will have to turn your bags into the porter if they do not fit in the x-ray machine. I have seen several folks turned away to go turn in their bags.

Dave

He was caught because they saw him;)

Somebodies eyes were open :D. I haven't put anything in the overhead for over ten years. Too many people, too many hands and it's not always near you. I like my carry-on under the seat in front of me. Can't really put my hands on it, but can put my feet on it.

First of all, I have not gone thru and read everyone's responses, so I apologize if some of this is repetitive. But there are a few points that have come to my mind in reading thru some of this:

1. Locks on luggage won't necessarily prevent somebody from going in and putting something in/taking something out of your bag. A skilled theif will be able to get into just about anything, with little time or opportunity. However, that being said, I am not going to make it any easier for them by not locking my bag. If a thief wants to break into my house, they will find a way. But that doesn't mean, I am going to leave my front door unlocked to help them out.

2. Thiefs are oppotunistic. They don't have to be in a private, secluded area to go thru your luggage. I used to work for an airline and have been made aware of many instances where people have had stuff stolen out of their carry on baggage. A friend of mine was flying on one of my buddy passes and had a gift card that she had bought for her dad for father's day stolen out of her carry on. She was on a regional plane and her roller bag did not fit in the overhead bin, so she had to plane side check it. It was taken from her and put in the cargo bin and returned to her plane side when she arrived at her destination. The gift card was in a greeting card envelop. In the time that she left the bag with the ramp agent and the time the put it in the cargo bin, he went thru the bag and stole the gift card, but left the greeting card. The store the card was from was able to tracking the number on the gift card receipt and find out what store he spent it at and was able to get him on the suvellience video. Needless to say he was fired. But it only took a couple minutes. I try to keep my carry on luggage in my sight at all times. I will not use a luggage bin that is behind my seat or very far in front of it and if I am alone, I take my purse with me when I use a restroom on a plane.

3. I can with a fair amount of certainty that there is no way that the cruise lines are going to have time to thouroughly hand search all luggage. You figure 1-2 bags per cruise passenger with 2000-4000 passengers per sailing. It's just not feasible. Right after 9/11, airline employees had to hand search a certain percentage of luggage. It can take anywhere from 5-20 minutes to open and hand search a single piece of luggage...if they are truly looking for hidden prohibited items and not just an obvious bottle of vodka. Even airlines these days do not search all luggage or even X-ray all luggage. Most checked baggage are merely swabbed for explosive trace materials. This check is routinely about 30 seconds providing theres not a positve reading.

4. I do agree with other posters that if Carnival is going to stipulate leaving luggage unlocked, there needs to be better protections against theft. With TSA searching the luggage, they are required to leave you a notice that your bag was opened and searched. If anything is missing or damaged you have channels to go thru for compensation. While I would never put anything of value in my suitcase (digital camera, computer, expensive jewerly - providing I had any :) ), that doesn't mean that my stuff should be considered worthless or disposable. Carnival should be prepared to ensure that its customers are protected against theft or damage.

We'll see how all this plays out.

The new rules have nothing to do with Alcohol and I am getting tired of seeing all of these posts. Check out the latest Homeland Security reports, unless that will scare you. Maybe no one wants to put on here the real reasons for more security, but they are not looking for your bottle of wine. They want us, their crew and their ship to be safe...that is the bottom line.

The new rules have nothing to do with Alcohol and I am getting tired of seeing all of these posts. Check out the latest Homeland Security reports, unless that will scare you. Maybe no one wants to put on here the real reasons for more security, but they are not looking for your bottle of wine. They want us, their crew and their ship to be safe...that is the bottom line.

If that was the case, then all the cruiselines to include Carnival's sister lines would have implemented this rule. When you change the liquor rule at the same time as the luggage rule, then it is obvious what they are looking for.

Dave

6 soldiers died within the last week, 3,500 in the trade center,approx 200,000,00 in Haiti, and all you have to worry about is how many bottles of liquor you can smuggle on board and if you have to leave your luggage unlocked, than you get upset with a company trying to turn a profit in this day and age. You all need to get a life and grow up!

Well I guess this settles what Carnival's real intentions are.

Dave

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=23009091&postcount=94

We are just off the Imagination today and had our bags searched. We had them unlocked and had 1 water bottle and 1 coke bottle in our checked bags. The coke bottle was filled with captain morgan and was taken and a note was in the bag saying it had been confiscated. Also, another couple we were traveling with had their 2 bottles of wine in the checked bags and it was also taken. They gave the wine back last night but we were very disappointed that it was taken.

6 soldiers died within the last week, 3,500 in the trade center,approx 200,000,00 in Haiti, and all you have to worry about is how many bottles of liquor you can smuggle on board and if you have to leave your luggage unlocked, than you get upset with a company trying to turn a profit in this day and age. You all need to get a life and grow up!

Not to mention Toyota's problems...

http://www.remain.calm

You might want to check your sources, they have already determined that this post was a hoax.

It doesnt really matter as my source at the Port of New Orleans is for real. I have known them for several years and they have been accurate on everything so far.

Dave

You might want to check your sources, they have already determined that this post was a hoax.

Bear with me here: :o

Are you saying that the hoax post is the one that Carnival is NOT throwing away sealed bottles of water or they are not going through luggage?

I have read so many posts on this that I don't know what to believe:confused:

Darlene

LIGHTEN UP!!! This is about smugglin booze, none of the above.

Maybe ya need a DOD to calm down.

Okay...why don't we just all stay home. With all this death and tragedy why in the world would we climb onto a ship and have a good time. And why would we bother with looking at a menu of gormet food and waste time and energy at what entree to order. This is the most empty headed argument I have ever heard. Granted some of the posts on this forum are concerned with breaking rules about bringing on alcohol. And leaving their personal baggage unlocked...it is a concern. Is it life and death? No, but it is a concern and it is only natural to be concerned about the procedures and policy, that for many, are the only vacation they taken in a lifetime or possibly for years. So stop with the extreme contrasts and speak from a logical point of view. Otherwise, if we are measuring the concerns of vacation to the extreme consequences of military service and natural disasters none of us would sail on the oceans of the world for fun!

board buzz kill alert

This email new??

carnival_logo_onwhite.gif

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Security Screening and Prohibited Items PolicyDear Guest,

Before you get ready to have the most fun you ever thought possible on your upcoming cruise, we must share some important security information with you.

In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits certain items onboard, i.e., weapons, candles, irons, alcohol, or other dangerous goods. According to our policy, Carnival conducts security scanning of all luggage and if prohibited items are found, they will be removed and stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed liquids that are prohibited will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case. For additional information, please refer to the terms and conditions of your cruise ticket contract.

IMPORTANT - All luggage must be unlocked before turning over to the porters in order to avoid any inconvenience to you or delay in delivering the luggage to your stateroom.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation. We can't wait to see you on board!

Sincerely,

Vicky Rey, CTC

Vice President, Guest Services

dot.gifdot.gifdot.gif

This is old news!

You can still lock your luggage.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Archived