Food Choices for kids in the MDR?

ntengwall

Nicole - Congrats on taking your first family cruise! I hope you and your boys have a terrific time!!

Don't worry - there will be plenty of options for them. If they don't find something on the nightly menu, there are plenty of good 'ole standbys that are served every night- hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken fingers, pasta (plain or with sauce), steak, chicken breast (usually roasted) and they can get any of these with fries (and I think they serve baked potatoes each night as well). They won't starve!

In addition to the appetizers, entrees and various side dishes, the bread basket and family-style salad bowl is present. My kids never like the desserts on the menu and are able to get a bowl of ice cream w/ chocolate sauce each night (heaven for them)!

The Kids menu also has a fruit cup and fresh cut up vegetables with ranch dip. On our last cruise the waiter had both of these sitting waiting for my 4.5 yr old dd every night. She was also able to get Cheese Ravioli with or without sauce. The waiters will go out of their way to make sure there is something for the kids to eat.

Lisa

The kids menu also offers chicken fingers with fries.

On one cruise when our son was pretty young he wanted to try lobster but thought he wouldn't like it, so he ordered chicken fingers with fries and a side of lobster. He didn't like the lobster, but tried it again the next year and loved it.

The kids menu also offers chicken fingers with fries. The wait staff is also great about serving up some chocolate milk to the kids.

There is also pizza, mac and cheese (I ordered some the 2nd night after trying my Grandson's on the first night), hot dogs, a beautiful fruit plate and more. The waiters are always great about coming up with just about anything a child wishes for dinner. If it's in the kitchen (no matter if it might for the Windjammer, room service, or whatever) they can make it happen. And of course kids can order anything off the the adult menu. Our oldest Granddaughter ordered off of the adult menu every night on a Grandeur Bermuda cruise when she was 6 or 7 years old. (She was feeling very grown up cruising with Grandma and Pop Pop that time.)

Juice is a problem if your child drinks it with their meals because they charge for it at night. So be sure to order an extra glass from room service for breakfast when it's no charge or take an apple juice back to your cabin's mini-frig after breakfast in the Windjammer and take to dinner to save paying.

The first couple of cruises my DD (4 and 5 at the time) ordered steak and french fries every night in the MDR and the waiter knew she loved catsup and would bring her I giant bowl of it, LOL. (He also always helped us keep her napkin tucked into her neckline!).

When we started cruising with our kids at ages 7 and 12 we encouraged them to order from the adult menu. Even my very picky 12 year old was able to find something he liked, and never ordered from the kids menu. Now he knows that cruising is the time to try new things because he can always order something else if he doesn't like his first choice. Of course now, as a still growing 6' 2" 18 year old, he usually orders multiple entrees and eats them all.

When we started cruising with our kids at ages 7 and 12 we encouraged them to order from the adult menu. Even my very picky 12 year old was able to find something he liked, and never ordered from the kids menu. Now he knows that cruising is the time to try new things because he can always order something else if he doesn't like his first choice. Of course now, as a still growing 6' 2" 18 year old, he usually orders multiple entrees and eats them all.

I have to agree. It is good to know that there are options available for fussy eaters, but this is a great opportunity to have the kids try out new food experiences. At least you know you have a back up plan in the event they really don't like the adult menu item.

We took our daughters on their first cruise when they were 7 and 9. They tried everything. They love escargots, rack of lamb, you name it. They really enjoy getting dressed up for the MDR and having such great choices.

You know your kids better than any of us, so it is really up to you. If you think they are up for some adventure, encourage them to try the adult menu, but let the waiter know to have a back up selection if needed.

Enjoy your cruise.

Eric

Another Juice suggestion... I pack juice boxes in my suitcase for my daughter when we cruise. This works out great. She is a big juice drinker and having the juice boxes makes it really easy. I felt better giving her the juice boxes since I knew they were 100% juice. The "juice" they serve on the ships are concentrated juice drinks with very little fruit juice in them.

Lisa

Archived