1st PG review since ship became PG Cruises

nancy4elton

We have just returned from the same cruise as Scandun (are you Helen??)

Had an absolutely fabulous time!! Can not say enough about this ship and crew (will post more later).

We were also sad to miss the Taha'a stop. I did hear that the entire beach was washed away, what palm trees that are left standing are simply roots in the ground with no sand to cover them. I heard that the dock was also washed away. The crew had hopeful thoughts that it may be repaired within a month, but said in reality that it would most likely be more than that. No one really knew for sure though.

I will post more review with pics soon!!

Kim

We have just returned from the same cruise as Scandun (are you Helen??)

Had an absolutely fabulous time!! Can not say enough about this ship and crew (will post more later).

We were also sad to miss the Taha'a stop. I did hear that the entire beach was washed away, what palm trees that are left standing are simply roots in the ground with no sand to cover them. I heard that the dock was also washed away. The crew had hopeful thoughts that it may be repaired within a month, but said in reality that it would most likely be more than that. No one really knew for sure though.

I will post more review with pics soon!!

Sorry I am not Helen...

I was really very disappointed about not being able to cruise to the Cook Islands. There was not much to see at Rangiroa and Fakarava. Almost everybody went to the beach lunch at Fakarava where the local people prepared food cooked in the sand hole. It was really once in a lifetime experience, because I will never do it again in my life, the food tasted so bad with that special log flavour, and I had stomach problem for the next few days. OK I tried the breadfruit...and watched the movie the Bounty and listened to the lecture by Mark. Luckily I did not have to see the doctor on board, as this new doctor likes to send sick people back home. He sent a sick guy with his companion away to Bora Bora airport which was in the middle of our cruise, and he also sent other sick people away in the previous cruise. Not sure if that poor guy rejoined our cruise later.

Wendy, I said Bora Bora was below my expectation, because it claims to be the most beautiful island on earth, but I find it hard to be justified. Moorea is more beautiful in my opinion. I drove around both islands, and it was more fun on Moorea where I went up to the view point two times (first time raining) and the 2nd time I drove down to Paopao through the pineapple plantations. What a drive up to the hill, and what a drive through the plantation ! and it cost only half the price comparing to Bora Bora, but much longer time around. Ok I took a free 4x4 safari on Bora Bora offered by the owner from whom we bought some black pearls.

We are flying home today, after 3 days driving around the San Diego area, also in beautiful weather. I will dream going back, and to Cook Islands, invited by the Captain at his farewell speech.

The last thing I like to say is while we have greatly enjoyed this cruise, I very much feel sorry for the crew. As I talked with the stewardess, butler and waiters etc, they mostly have a 6 month contract before taking a 2 month holiday. But they have to work everyday during the 6 month period, except the case there are much fewer passengers on board when they can then work by shift. I did not ask the directors or officers, but I think they are the same. I hope they all have fun in their work.

I will dream going back, and to Cook Islands, invited by the Captain at his farewell speech.

Scandun, just invited to return, or are they comping all or a portion of future cruise due to weather?

The last thing I like to say is while we have greatly enjoyed this cruise, I very much feel sorry for the crew. As I talked with the stewardess, butler and waiters etc, they mostly have a 6 month contract before taking a 2 month holiday. But they have to work everyday during the 6 month period, except the case there are much fewer passengers on board when they can then work by shift.

For most of the service crew (attendants, waiter staff, cleaners), work in their home countries means toiling 7 days a week with NO months off ever, and MUCH lower pay. Most in-depth conversations I've had with them reveal people glad for the work and the pay when compared to what may await them at home, and see it as a good deal. Not easy work for sure, tho. As for the ship officers, that is typical across the board working for both commercial and cargo lines. However, the officers and those in critical positions do always have shifts. Don't want a bleary person at the controls. :)

Scandun, just invited to return, or are they comping all or a portion of future cruise due to weather?

Although Scandun would have to clarify, I would have to believe this was just an invitation to return. I've never hear of a cruiseline comp all or a portion of a future cruise due to missed stops because of bad weather.

Wendy, I said Bora Bora was below my expectation, because it claims to be the most beautiful island on earth, but I find it hard to be justified. Moorea is more beautiful in my opinion. I drove around both islands, and it was more fun on Moorea where I went up to the view point two times (first time raining) and the 2nd time I drove down to Paopao through the pineapple plantations. What a drive up to the hill, and what a drive through the plantation ! and it cost only half the price comparing to Bora Bora, but much longer time around. Ok I took a free 4x4 safari on Bora Bora offered by the owner from whom we bought some black pearls.

I absolutely agree with you about Moorea, I tell people this as often as I can, although perhaps it would be better to keep the secret.

Sorry you didn't have a perfect cruise, really sorry to hear about Taha'a, that's a real shame, many happy memories there.

Hello everyone..............I am sitting here feeling very nostalgic remembering our wonderful PG cruises. We are in the middle of a winter "Snowacane" here in the North East USA. This is our third winter blast and warm, sunny thoughts of French Polynesia have come to mind many a day. Wendy, I remember you from posts here years ago.........!!!!!!!!!!!! We loved our first Paul Gauguin cruise in 2000 with Radisson but were a bit disappointed with our FP Marquesas cruise with Regent several years later..........some things slipped and the zing and ambiance seemed to have faded. I sure hope the Gauguines are still an integral part of the cruise experience!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess I stopped by to get a "Fix". Now that the PG is under new ownership we look forward to booking again in the near future. We just returned from a cruise with over 3000 pax........unbelievable to imagine after being on the PG, Diamond and Navigator. Home ports have been the alluring attraction for us these last few years as flying has become such a hassle etc. but perhaps with the direct flights to Papeete helping to make the journey more comfortable we just may return to Paradise. Geez just heard on the news/weather the storm is now blasting with gusting winds and a snowfall expected of 12-16 inches...............!!!!!!!!!!!! Amen.....glad I stopped by.......just being here warmed my heart :>)!

Tika, we're finally getting blasted by winter here in Toronto, if it's any consolation (we've been almost completely snow-free until now.)

What year did you do your Marquesas trip? If it was 2005, that was when the ship did a definite dip in service, etc., amid rumours of sales and Radisson withdrawal. But they recovered from that--our 2008 Marquesas trip was top-notch and unforgettable.

Sorry for the mis-quote--must used the software, but the quoting mechanism mis-fired.

I also love Raiatea, often wanted to spend some time there, particularly since it's less touristy.

Not a big deal Wendy!!

Raiatea was a surprise for our itinerary. When I stopped by the shop on the ship we asked the lady there what was in town, and she said that the town could be done in about 1/2 hour, that there was not much. She recommended going inside the island, so we signed up for an island tour, just about all that was left. We absolutely loved it! The guide, Summer, was from San Diego, had married a local man and had lived on the island for 10 years. I'm not normally a bus tour type of girl, but I have to say this was one of the best tours I've ever done! She was a joy to listen to and had so much information about the island and culture. She stopped for numerous photo stops for me too!

The clerk was right, the island is absolutely beautiful!! There was quite a bit of cyclone damage though. Most of the fresh vegetables had been wiped out, many damaged trees and homes as well.

If it was 2005, that was when the ship did a definite dip in service, etc., amid rumours of sales and Radisson withdrawal.

It must have been truly amazing then prior to 2005, because my first PG experience was summer of 2006 and aside from a lack of fresh fruit and an abundance of canned (which may have been a function of it being their wintertime) I cannot fathom any better service. This all makes me excited about my cruise next week. I can't imagine improving on what I experienced, and I sure look forward to seeing the changes, if any.

Drmn, you've got me excited about Raiatea now! That's the day we're supposed to do our SCUBA refresher. Hmmm. Maybe it can be done another day! Was the gorgeous pic in your signature taken on your trip?

Raiatea was the only island where the PG docked at the pierside throughout our cruise ( except for Papeete ). There is an information centre at the pier with booths for different tour operators. Our stop at Raiatea was unexpected for the locals as well, that many tour operators were on holiday. I found one guide but his first tour was too early for us, and he did not show up for the 2nd tour, probably due to not enough participators. So we missed the chance to explore the inland beauty.

Most of the ship's tour begin from 8:15 - 8:45 am, that was too early for us.

The dip in service/food was brief I think in 2005, over that spring and summer the owners were fighting with Radisson about things like wages, and money spent on food. I'm sure they resolved it by 2006.

Too bad about the damage in Raiatea, I feel badly for all those people in FP who had their homes damaged or destroyed. Yes, the interior of the island, and the far coasts are gorgeous. We've done the 4x4/river boat combo trip twice, plus I did a circumnavigation by boat with drift snorkel, and my husband road (and crewed) on a nice yacht once as well, for the day.

Archived