Remo of Driver In Rome.com

JZ4621

Yes! We used Driver in Rome three times this past November. We were treated to a wonderful tour of Rome at Night with Remo. The best part was parking outside The Vatican and St. Peters with no one there. Remo is a lot of fun, a good driver, and speaks excellent English. He and his son Daniele own the company.

We also had a tour to Hadrian's Villa, Villa D'Este and Tivoli with Driver in Rome. Our driver was Roberto and he was also excellent. We had extra time and he did two special things for us. He took us to a small medieval village near his home (I did not get the name.) He also took us to a supermarket and helped us choose some good, decently priced wine to take onto the ship. His choices were excellent. He also found a great, inexpensive little restaurant in Tivoli for lunch.

We were picked up at the airport by Driver in Rome. I forget the name of the driver, but he pointed out many things to us on the way.

Some of our friends took a tour with DIR from Sorrento to Pompei and the Amalfi coast. They were very happy with their tour.

Remo is absolutely delightful! He and Daniele own the company along with their lovely wives, and their warm personalities and professionalism extend to every driver they have. I've been fortunate to use them personally, and cannot recommend them highly enough. They make a wonderful city far more personal and special.

• 2 weeks later...

We used Driverinrome.com this summer while we were on a cruise. We were VERY HAPPY with the 2 tours we took with Driverinrome.

In Florence, you allowed us to tailor a tour that would allow all 8 people to see the best sights that each person wanted and gave each person an opportunity to go on their own and meet the group at a predetermined meeting spot. I got many great comments on how that made the tour better for each person. I wanted art and the Ufizzi, others who didn't want art went to visit or shop. This turned out really well.

In Naples, we were able to do as many places as time allowed on the Amalfi Coast and still have enough time to do Pompeii. Your drivers were great and allowed us to be flexible to see what we wanted.

The two groups really enjoyed the tours and I would recommend your tour company to anyone who was interested. I found your tour company from a group of many on the internet. After going over with several tour companies what I wanted, you were the only tour company that suggested that we not do Pompeii first and do the Amalfi Coast due to traffic that would build up from others coming back from the Amalfi Coast. You also were willing to work with us on price which helped me work it out with people I just met on the Internet.

All in all, I was very pleased with your tour company and the drivers you provided for us. Thank you very much. I talk to many people and I will definitely recommend your company to other people interested in touring in Italy.

Bob Goldstein

This is a copy of the email that we sent to Driver in Rome after returning from our cruise and it pretty much says it all. I would use them again in a heartbeat and highly recommend them to anyone else. This was our first experience with not using a cruise sponsored shore excursion and used this company in Florence, Rome and Naples and then went on to use similar type companies in Athens and Istanbul.

;)I am so happy that we chose DRIVERINROME!!! Our vacation was perfect and so much of that was because of your company. Our first driver was Walter for Pisa and Florence. You truly gave us the best and Walter was in our opinion "the gold standard" of what a driver should be. Walter provided us with a day that we will never forget and through his friendly conversations was able to determine where our interests were and to provide a customized plan based on that. My husband and I are both wine lovers and Walter took the "long road" to Florence so we could see some vineyards and also called a wonderful restaurant that didn't take reservations but he somehow arranged for them to hold a table for us and it was a fabulous lunch. Walter also had other great tips that made the day memorable. We would like very much to send Walter a gift as a token of our appreciation and would like to have an address that we could send it to. If you could provide us with this - we would greatly appreciate that. Our driver in Rome was Paul or Paulo and was very pleasant and accommodating and gave us a wonderful tour of Rome in spite of the fact that the city closed up early that day due to the conclusion of the bicycle race. In Naples we had Fulvio (?) and he was also wonderful. He arranged our tour so that we were able to get into Positano before all the buses and traffic occurred and took us to a wonderful restaurant high above Positano for a fantastic lunch. All in all at the end of each day - we felt like we had spent the day with a friend rather than a driver. Thank you so very much!

• 2 weeks later...

Our group of 8 loved the tours with Daniele (Sept 2009). My wife and I toured with Daniele in 2005 and that is why we can back. On this trip we enjoyed having one day in the city and one day in the countryside. Helping to harvest the grapes was a real treat for us. We had a bottle of wine last night shipped from that very winery! Daniele provided up with some great photo opps and knew the great places for lunch. We have other friends who will be travelling to Italy in the near future and we will be sure to recommend Driver in Rome. Once again thanks to Daniele for making Italy our home away from home!

• 1 month later...

This was the review of driverinrome I submitted back to Monica after our excursion in Rome during our cruise on the Disney Magic

Hi Monica,Thanks for following up. We had a great trip overall and a wonderful day in Rome with Ottavio. He was extremely well organized and a true gentleman. We saw so much in one day that it was a bit overwhelming, but he did a great job explaining all the highlights and getting us to all of the key locations. The private tour of the Vatican with Georgianna was also a highlight. She has so much energy and an obvious deep knowledge of the Vatican combined with a great sense of humor, we really enjoyed her. We look forward to coming back to Rome in the future when we can spend more time really getting to know your beautiful city. We will certainly recommend your company to any friends who are planning a trip to Rome or any of the other major cities in Italy. Ciao, Skip"

• 2 months later...

driverinrome

I recently returned from Rome. I stayed on after a cruise on the Celebrity Equinox. I used driverinrome and was extremely well pleased. As it turned out, I had picked up a horrible cold during the cruise, so I really did not feel up to sightseeing. But as it was already reserved, I went anyway. I told each of the three drivers, on three days, that I was ill. I am also mobility impaired. On each of these days, the drivers took me all over Rome, Tivoli, and the Pope's residence at Gondolfo. Because we were able to use an automobile, they had permits that allowed them to go places regular drivers could not. They were able to drive me close to places I wanted to see. Walking was cut to a minimum. I was able to enjoy the city with minimum expenditure of my very limited energy. I hope to return to Italy, and I will definitely use driverinrome.

• 9 months later...

Hi Everyone

I saw this and thought I should chime in as all you lucky people are feverishly planning your upcoming spring & summer cruise plans :)

I have used driverinrome since 2004 on my first cruise to europe. I am so thankful to these boards for introducing me to such opportunities and such great companies with your reviews and suggestions.

I just came back from a two week land trip in Florence and Rome in which we used the services of driverinrome for all our car/driver/tour needs. Since 2004 we have now been on so many cruises that go to Italian ports I needed a land trip to continue my love affair with italy.

Some ideas...obviously they do the transfers which we always use their services mainly because they offer big vans to carry our cruise-ship luggage and just as the OP 'maryannns' said we always ask them to take us to a grocery store to get all our cases of water to bring on board. Aside from transfers they have all the tours that offer everything required to see in those areas (Rome/Florence/Pisa). They will do what they can to make sure you see it all. BUT last year on May 1 our port day in Livorno was complicated due to May 1 being a huge holiday and it is busy and things are closed(museums etc) so this put a real cramp into our plan. I emailed driverinrome and asked Daniele what he would suggest. we came up with a great day of travelling around tuscany and avoiding the disappointment of going to florence and finding our many museums are closed (we finally hit the accademia and uffizi last week :)) fantastic. On that may 1st we visited Siena instead and there was a labour day parade and it was pretty crazy with people but Luca stayed with the car and was there to whisk us off to another hilltown when we were finished in Siena.

They have great ideas and I like that Most of all they understand the cruise ship timing and scheduling because they have done this for so long. So that takes the pressure off me.

during our May 1st hilltown extraviganza, our driver Luca (who btw drove George Clooney) mentioned I should consider doing a wine tour with lunch in the Chianti region. But it would have to be next time because they need to know ahead to make the reservation. This stuck in my brain as it is something I was very interested in doing, so I made arrangements with them and we went and it was so fantastic. the winery was just outside of San Gimignano, it was one of those days in your life that will be in the top memories. It was so perfect, I so recommend doing this. We also ordered some wine while we at the tasting and it arrived just after we returned home and we are still reliving that day!!

Enjoy your cruises!

• 1 month later...
I have read heaps of favourable reviews for http://www.driverinrome.com/ and wondered if anyone had used them and had Remo as their driver.

To answer your question, we've used Driver in Rome on 4 separate trips to Italy. We just returned this past week so it has taken a while to post comments and see what people might be asking. Remo has been our driver on many of the 11 occasions we have used DIR. His son, Daniele, is a wonderful tour guide as well as some of the others who lead tour groups both large and small. Here is a link from a message I posted yesterday:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1399661

I'm in the process of processing photos as I'm a photographer so will try to get one up of Remo. You HONESTLY can't go wrong with this wonderful, ethical, well organized company whose goal is to make sure you get everything you want out of a trip with them. Many, many people use DIR so you will be very fortunate if you are one of them and they will not disappoint.:);)

Here is a link to a couple photos from our recent trip this month in Rome. Check back for more photos to come: http://www.pixofwild.com/Europe/Rome...440412_Gzq8Ws9

Happy travels.

Remo is an absolute delight! I have used Driver in Rome several times, along with recommending them. Remo is a true old world Gentleman (capitalization intended), but the family also lived in the US, so he has a wonderful perspective and provides a wonderful, tailored experience. Fantastic humor, too!

If you really want to get on his good side, bring a bag (preferably two) of Chips Ahoy Chocolate Chip Cookies - the hard ones. They developed a taste for them when they lived in the US, and Remo (and his wife and son) go absolutely bonkers for them.

• 1 month later...

Our visit to Rome while on a Mediterranean cruise was one of our best excursions. Booking a private tour with Driverinrome was the best decision we made for our family group of 7. The office staff was very pleasant and helpful and Roberto was an outstanding guide in every way. It was great to get off the ship and have him waiting there for us with a spacious mini bus. He spoke excellent English, was accommodating to some special needs of our group and an unexpected request for changes in our planned itinerary, polite and humorous, and very knowledgeable of Rome’s extensive sites and history. We did the Best of Rome tour so we visited several major sites before lunch (Trevi Fountain, Coliseum, Roman forum, Spanish steps etc), then we had lunch at a delightful local restaurant where we met our guide for a tour of Vatican City. Valeria was also an excellent guide and gave us a great overview of the treasures and history of the Vatican and St. Peter’s. Roberto made sure that we were able to see all the major sites and were returned to the ship on time. We will be sure to book another tour with Driverinrome and hopefully meet Roberto again when we return to Italy.

• 2 weeks later...

I used Driverinrome on my crusie this month for a Rome tour. I was alone and Stephano was my driver and was absolutely wonderful. Since I was alone I moved rather fast and got to see things not normally seen in one day. I will use them again when I return to Rome.

• 2 months later...

DriverInRome definitely made our holiday a great success! We did 3 private tours with them off our Celebrity Solstice cruise. Pisa and Florence, Rome, and Amalfi Coast. We were 5 couples traveling together and we booked two vans. Quite comfortable. Our drivers were terrific! We had Daniele in Rome (we only had 4 couples there so one van). He was so marvelous! In Florence we had John and Alberto and in Pompeii we had our fabulous guide Santiago as well as two wonderful drivers. All were so helpful and nice.

We had an additional challenge since one of the men was recovering from surgery and had a cane and wheelchair. This didn't seem to bother our DriverInRome staff, as they really took it upon themselves to help him. We covered lots of sights at each place with commentary along the way. They are all very knowledgable and we marveled at their expert driving skills! We wonder how they can do that on those roads all the time?!

On all 3 tours, Daniele or his staff led us right up to the head of the lines to get in. We saw those long lines and without them we would have spent the day standing in line. We had wonderful lunches at places they took us. That restaurant by the coast in Positano is something we will always remember! Lots of history and explanations about what we were seeing throughout the tours. They even took us for great gelato at the end of our tours before returning to the ship. We never had a problem...they were there to get us in the morning, and we returned in plenty of time to relax before the ship left. We all agreed that they made our vacation very special! I would definitely use them again and if and when my daughter and son-in-law visit the area, will have them book with DriverInRome. Such nice people to spend our days with...thank you DriverInRome.

Sincerely, Pamela Hayes

• 1 year later...

We used Driver In Rome for a private tour for our port of call when our ship, Navigator of the Seas docked in Livorno Italy on April 20th 2013.

I first contacted Driver In Rome through their webbsite, www.driverinrome.com They replied back to me on my tour request that same day. Through out the booking process I had many questions and they always replied back promptly and never grew weary of my questions or requests. Daniele, Oana and Emily were always a joy to hear from.

We had chosen to do the tour LIV-02 which was Exclusive Florence and Pisa. We had 32 CC members and we wanted to keep our number of people in small groups, so Driver In Rome accomodated us with 4 vehicles so we could have 8 in each. The vehicles were oversized mini vans which were very roomy and comfortable, clean and new. The oversized windows were great for viewing the landscape as we traveled from one site to the other. Our mini van was equipped with a headset for the driver so when he spoke everyone could hear him.

When we disembarked the ship, all our drivers were waiting for us and they had a a card with my name on it. We only had to walk a very short distance to the vehicles. Each driver was dressed very nicely in a suit.

Our day was flawless. We saw all the sites that were outlined for us. We were not rushed in any place. Driver in Rome was very patient and accomodating. Due to strict regulations in Italy, only Licensed Guides are allowed to be used in the museums and main attractions. Driver in Rome was kind enough to make those arrangements for us as well so we would not have to be bothered witih that step. She was fantastic. Her name was Maureen and she was very passionate and knowledgeable and explained everything in a very easy manner that allowed you to fully understand the history as you gazed at it in amazement.

Our driver, Constantine, was fantastic. He spoke clearly and was very informative. He made us all feel very comfortable and he had a great sense of humor. At the end of the day it was as if we were leaving a friend.

We will be returning to Livorno, Italy this November and we already have booked Driver in Rome for our tour company once again.

THANK YOU DRIVER IN ROME FOR A PERFECT DAY!!!!

This seems to be an old thread but I hope I get some replies.

I just sent an email to the tour company. I need a large van to pick us up at the port, to tour Rome. I know the tour guide will be an extra charge. Is Rome doable without a guide? I know the drivers can give you all the info but can't leave the van.

Any information will be appreciated. Thank you!

When we visited Rome we did not have a guide. Having a guide should depend on how much time you have in Rome and also depends on what you would like to see. If you are getting picked up at the port and then taken back to the ship and you have only one day, then the guide will slow you down a little with explaining the history of each site you visit. If it is only one day you have then your objective is to see as many sites as possible with the little time you have allowed.

If your interests are visiting artwork or you have a certain desire to see museums, then a guide would be beneficial as they would know where the certain artwork is and know which pieces in the museum would be the most beneficial to see.

• 4 weeks later...

Once again, I am using DRIVERINROME! This will be our 4th trip using their services for multiple commutes and excursions. They are reliable, courteous, and fun. I most highly recommend this company!

We had the pleasure of using them again in May on a cruise. After we used them several years ago we knew if we were lucky enough to go again this would be who we would use. Remo was our guide, our friends in another van had Daniele. They ARE the best!

Archived