Anyone Back From Transatlantic Cruise?

Is anyone recently back from the transatlantic cruises on the Splendour or Brilliance of the Seas?

We are considering an eastbound transatlantic cruise in 2005 and have lots of questions. Maybe, you can answer some of them or even write a short review...

How were the weather and the sea during the crossing? Could you use the pool and sunbathe? Was there mayor work done on the ship during the cruise (painting, refurbishing) and was it disturbing? Did you have a good view of Gibraltar when entering the Mediterranean Sea?

Thank you in advance for your help

Ruth [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Just back from the Transatlantic on Brilliance. This was our 11th cruise, and our second transatlantic. This was the most relaxing cruise we have ever experienced. The weather was mostly cloudy across the atlantic, but reasonably sunny when arriving in the Med. The temperature did not get over 20 degrees c for the whole cruise, but you could sit out. The pool and sunbathing decks were in use, but some days it was very windy across the deck to sit in uncovered areas. We did not see any major work being done on the ship during the cruise.

As we passed Gibraltar between 5 and 6 am, I was not awake to see the view. We have already been to Gibraltar on a previous cruise, so had no urgency to get up that early. I understand other passengers were up early, but I did not hear any reports.

Please feel free to ask any other questions, and I will try to answer them.

Hi Guernseycruiser,

thank you very much for your kind offer to answer more questions. This would be our first transatlantic cruise, 8th cruise with RCI.

Our main concern is what weather to expect, because we like to spend at least some time outside. Also, we consider if the sea will be rough, because we experienced 19 ft waves and gale force winds before - and in the
morning, the (used) sick bags left around the ship were not a pretty sight/smell [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] .

I expect the usual activities and entertainment - which is more than enough to keep us occupied. Did you have a "Murder Mistery", "Academy at Sea" or special lectures during the sea days to entertain you even more?

Thanks again for your help

Ruth [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

IMHO the weather was not as good as we would expect for that time of year. When arriving is Lisbon, the temp was only 16 degrees C, however now it is 30 degrees C. The sea was not that rough, although some days it was force 7 and at one stage force 8, however it did not feel like that, as it was dependent on the wind direction. One day it was only force 4, but there was a swell which made it slightly uncomfortable for a while. IMHO the sea was no worse than I have experienced in the Caribbean or in part of the Meditterean.

We did not see any sick bags put out on this cruise, however on our previous transatlantic in September 2001, they were put out on a couple of nights. We did however catch up a hurricane which made the sea very rough, and one night I don't think anyone slept. This was a freak event, however something to bear in mind if you are cruising in hurrican season.

The usual activities were happening, if not more because everyone was on board for seven days running. There was a Murder Mystery in Portofinos one night. We did not attend, however our table partners in the dining room did, and they said it was very good. There were also lectures for "Academy at Sea". I attended a couple in the Spa which were very informative.

There were many activities during the day, more than the usual. As the weather was not good for sunbathing every day, there was always something to do.

I hope this helps.

Hi,

I´ve been wanting to do a Transatlantic for awhile, but the weather is a major factor here. I don´t usually get seasick, but rocking for a week is not my style. I know that QM2 and the classic ships have a design that makes them so smoother thru the water.

I´m still kinda hesitating here. Any good advice?

Fredrik

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;07;01;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100[/img]
Brilliance of the Seas West Med
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;09;28;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Jewel of the Seas NE-Canada

So far:
Jewel of the Seas Oslo May 2004
Splendour of the Seas Med Oct 2003
Navigator of the Seas East C. Jul 2003

[url="http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=1683059817&m=653102181&r=794102681#794102681"]Roll call Jewel 2004-09-28 click here[/url]

Fredrik - I've done 2 crossings, one in Sept. 2000 on the Splendour and August of last year on the Serenade. Both were very calm crossings. The Splendour trip was hot and the Serenade was cool but pleasant with about 2 days of fog.

I know Cunard makes a big deal about how the QE2 and QM2 are designed for serious crossings, but no cruise line is going to put their passengers and ships in danger. While some people might enjoy the "Victory at Sea" ride, the majority of people will want an uneventful sailing.

Both the Serenade and Splendour (as others in their class) are well designed ships. In other voyages I have taken where the seas haven't been as calm, they have handled it well.

I'd say go for it. There are often good prices on the crossings. Last time I checked, the Jewel's crossing was sold out.

09/01/04 - GTV Jewel of the Seas, Transatlantic - Harwich to Boston
05/01/05 - GTV Radiance of the Seas, Pac Coastal - San Diego to Vancouver
07/19/85 - MV Stardancer, Sundance Cruises, Alaska

I can not comment on the QM2 as to whether she would be smoother than other ships, as the transatlantics I took were on Grandeur and Brilliance. As far as getting seasick, it is very dependent on the time of year, however I am prone to seasickness, and every time I am onboard a cruise, I take a sea sickness tablet in the morning, and I have always been OK for the rest of the day.

I did not hear of anyone on this latest cruise being ill, however as stated in my previous response, the cruise on Grandeur was particually rough in places, and people were ill. Also whilst on Grandeur we were heading from Lisbon via the Azores to Boston, whereas on Brilliance we were heading from Miami to Lisbon, so you would expect the weather to be better the further south the routing.

I am not sure whether this is good advice, but I hope it helps.

Thank you very much for answering my questions and adding your insight!
As soon as the transatlantic cruises are availabe for 2005, we will decide which one to take.
[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] Ruth

Hi Ruth:

Just to chime in on what "Guernsey Cruiser" says in his post. I too was on the recent Brilliance
transatlantic cruise. We were in a stern cabin and experienced a very smooth sailing. I have been converted to an "aft-stern" lover. The CD said that it was one of the smoothest (albeit one of the coolest) sails. I was worried about the weather and activities since we hadn't previously done a transatlantic.

We had a totally relaxing trip and enjoyed every minute of the trip. Lots to do during the day and the disco (which I usually don't go to) was a lot of fun on the four days I decided to "dance". Entertainment in the theatre was so-so; however, that topic is very subjective.

Go for it and enjoy!

Carol and Fredrik you will meet some of the nicest and most intresting people on the TA cruiss. I have had the pleasure of sailing with Guernseycruiser (we were tablemates on the Brilliance) Gurnsey - glad to see you are posting. Dublin CA on the Splendor in 2003 and dc.shaw on the Brilliance (meet thru cruise critic and then at the meet and mingle). We love the days at sea and can always find plenty or nothing to do. The crossing on the Brilliance was great fun as we meet so many people from the boards, we had several sail-away parties (just love the aft balconies) I can only echo the things my fellow cruisers have said about the TA crossings. The weather and seas are part of the adventure of a crossing. Can not wait until RCCL opens up the sailings for 05.

Gurnsey and dc glad you got home safely. Dublin CA til we sail on the Jewell.

Sue in KC

Jewell of the Seas
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;9;1;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]

Hi Sue

Thanks for your post. We arrived home safely, allbeit 22 hours late. We missed our flight from London to Guernsey, and had to wait for the evening flight. This was cancelled due to fog, so had to wait until the next afternoon. So much for saying we will be home in less than five hours after leaving the ship. You probably arrived home before us!!!

Hope you are all keeping well. The Jewel looked very nice when she was here in Guernsey on 14th May. I went out of the office at lunch time to take some photo's. Crystal Symphony was in the same day so we had many tourists in our little town that day.

Best regards
Guernsey cruiser & partner

Fiance and I were also on the Brilliance Transatlantic and are ready to book for next year (once it's available!!). It was our first transatlantic and will NOT be our last. We plan to do it every year! We absolutely loved the 7 straight days at sea!! The weather was not bad...like the previous poster mentioned, there were some cloudy, cold days, but IMO -- that was nice. You never, ever had to fight for a deck chair, even in the solarium. The pools were heated (maybe not until about 4 days into the cruise) so people were even in the main pool when it was cold, windy and rainy and late at night! There were actually abuot 3-4 days of the crossing that we were able to sit in the sun. I did manage to get a little tan. We spent lots of time on our balcony and I was never bothered by the rocking. The day we passed the Azores, the seas were calmer than I havr ever seen on any cruise. It was unbelievable. The food was great, the people were amazing (including Dick & Sue Young!), there were plenty of activities... but I have to agree with the previous poster who said the entertainment was "so-so." We actually only went to 2 shows out of the 11 nights (so maybe I cannot truly comment)! All in all it was a great cruise. If you love relaxing days at sea... you will LOVE the transatlantic! Oh-- and let me share a quote I got from a fellow cruise critic friend (Sue Young!) from the Transatlantic...
"Cruisers are vacationers, crossers are travellers."

Check out my Navigator, Adventure, Voyager and Brilliance Pics!
[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/adventurehounds"]http://community.webshots.com/user/adventurehounds[/url]

Carnival Ecstacy 6/95
Carnival Ecstacy 2/96
Carnival Ecstacy 6/98
Monarch of the Seas 1/02
Navigator of the Seas 12/02
Adventure of the Seas 1/03
Voyager of the Seas 8/03
Brilliance of the Seas 12/03
Brilliance of the Seas 4/04
Brilliance of the Seas 5/04
Serenade of the Seas 12/04

Archived