Bitter & Blanc

RI_Lady

Hi, Cruise Critic Friends!

I would like to make a batch Bitter & Blanc dessert for my DH. Does anyone have the recipe?

We loved it when we were on the PRIDE for New Years 2009-2010. Thanks in advance.:)

RI Lady

Hi, Cruise Critic Friends!

I would like to make a batch Bitter & Blanc dessert for my DH. Does anyone have the recipe?

We loved it when we were on the PRIDE for New Years 2009-2010. Thanks in advance.:)

RI Lady

Here is the recipe, cut down to 8 from 700! :eek::eek::eek:

Bitter & Blanc Chocolate Brioche Pudding

serves 8

Ingredients / Quantity

For Vanilla Sauce:

Whole Milk / 6 ounces liquid

Sugar / 1 ounce (2 Tbsp)

Cornstarch / 1 Tbsp.

Egg yolks / 2 quantity

Vanilla Extract / 1 tsp.

For Pudding & Meringue Mixture:

PUDDING:

Brioche bread, crusts removed / 8 ounces

Egg yolk / 3 ounces

Sugar / 2 ounces (4 Tbsp)

Heavy cream / 5 ounces liquid

White chocolate / 8 ounces

Butter / 3 ounces (6 Tbsp)

MERINGUE:

Egg whites / 2 ounces or 1/4 cup (about 2-3 yolks)

Sugar / 1 1/2 ounces (3 Tbsp)

For Ganache:

Dark Chocolate / 6 ounces

Heavy Cream / 4 ounces liquid

For greasing :

Butter solids / 1-2 Tbsp to coat

Sugar / 1-2 tsp to coat

METHOD :

• For Vanilla sauce, boil milk & sugar in small saucepan. In small bowl, cream yolks & cornstarch; whisk in the milk, add vanilla extract. Pour back into saucepan & cook on slow heat till it reaches a coating consistency. Strain lumps. (may add a few drops of milk if too thick).
  • For Ganache: In saucepan, heat heavy cream to simmer. Put dark chocolate into bowl and pour simmering cream over chocolate. Stir gently until smooth. Cool slightly.
  • For Pudding: Remove the crusts of the brioche bread, dice into squares. Put in large bowl and pour cream over bread; let soak in.
  • In saucepan, melt the white chocolate with 6 Tbsp. butter & set aside.
  • In a mixing bowl, cream sugar & yolk, add the melted white chocolate/butter mixture on slow speed.
  • Add the cream-soaked bread, mix well.
  • In a separate bowl, prepare meringue by whipping room temperature egg whites and sugar til thickened; fold into the bread mixture.
  • Grease individual soufflé cups with butter and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Spoon a layer of ganache into the bottom of each cup. Top with bread pudding mixture.

Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 mins. Remove, cool slightly, dust with powdered sugar & serve with vanilla sauce.

NOTES; Brioche is a spongy textured, sweeter, egg bread. Whole Foods had it ($5.99 per loaf - NOT!!) Trader Joe's has brioche rolls (not a loaf) for $2.99 - I used 4 of the 6 rolls and had 2 left for sandwiches. You could substitute a combination of Kings Hawaiian sweet bread and yellow dinner rolls if you can't find brioche - my chef contact said don't do it - it wouldn't be the same.

Culinary bakers use scales for everything - hence the "3 ounces egg yolk, 2 ounces egg white, 8 ounces bread." I have a kitchen scale and weighed the eggs yolks and whites.

Mom2JJandJ :)

My last two cruises were 3 day cruises on the Elation and they DIDN'T have it. They had the grand marnier souffle instead which is good but not the bitter n blanc. I told my waiter on our last Elation cruise in October that I really missed having the bitter n blanc and he said if I would have told him in the beginning instead of the last night he would have made sure I had some.:) From now on, I will ask. The worst they will say is no. But gotta do it the first night to give them a chance to plan it.

This looks amazing! I can't wait to try it! I've only cruised Carnival once, and don't remember this being offered...cruising the Pride in March and April, I wonder if I should request it on the first night of our 7 night cruise (?)

You can't just request it. But I just read today that someone asked their waiter the 1st night in the MDR when certain things were being served (like Bitter and Blanc) and was able to find out that way.

Carnival posts the menus for the day by the MDR but they don't post the dessert menu for the evening. I've seen you can access the menus on the TV as well but that hasn't always been updated properly when I've checked.

On last cruise someone at our table asked for creme brulee a second time and they did it.

Plan to ask for it on a second night on our upcoming cruise next month.

Last week, we completed two five-day Cruises B2B on the Fantasy. Creme Brulee is not offered on the five day cruises and I know this, but just to joke with our waiter in the MDR, I ordered it every night before ordering my dessert that was offered. He had gotten to expect it toward the end of the first cruise and knew it was coming during the second leg!

On our last night of the second cruise, I thought it was odd that he hadn't brought around the dessert menu......................And lo and behold:

brule2.jpg

Not just one, but FOUR OF THEM!!!! I was speechless and my wife said the look on my face was priceless. Folks at adjoining tables were also looking and probably wondering how/what.............

Anyway, after multiple thanks to the waiter, DW ate one and I ate the other three :D:D:D

This more than "exceeded my expectations" and he received a good tip and a lengthy praise on our comment cards.

Here is the recipe, cut down to 8 from 700! :eek::eek::eek:

Bitter & Blanc Chocolate Brioche Pudding

serves 8

Ingredients / Quantity

For Vanilla Sauce:

Whole Milk / 6 ounces liquid

Sugar / 1 ounce (2 Tbsp)

Cornstarch / 1 Tbsp.

Egg yolks / 2 quantity

Vanilla Extract / 1 tsp.

For Pudding & Meringue Mixture:

PUDDING:

Brioche bread, crusts removed / 8 ounces

Egg yolk / 3 ounces

Sugar / 2 ounces (4 Tbsp)

Heavy cream / 5 ounces liquid

White chocolate / 8 ounces

Butter / 3 ounces (6 Tbsp)

MERINGUE:

Egg whites / 2 ounces or 1/4 cup (about 2-3 yolks)

Sugar / 1 1/2 ounces (3 Tbsp)

For Ganache:

Dark Chocolate / 6 ounces

Heavy Cream / 4 ounces liquid

For greasing :

Butter solids / 1-2 Tbsp to coat

Sugar / 1-2 tsp to coat

METHOD :

• For Vanilla sauce, boil milk & sugar in small saucepan. In small bowl, cream yolks & cornstarch; whisk in the milk, add vanilla extract. Pour back into saucepan & cook on slow heat till it reaches a coating consistency. Strain lumps. (may add a few drops of milk if too thick).
  • For Ganache: In saucepan, heat heavy cream to simmer. Put dark chocolate into bowl and pour simmering cream over chocolate. Stir gently until smooth. Cool slightly.
  • For Pudding: Remove the crusts of the brioche bread, dice into squares. Put in large bowl and pour cream over bread; let soak in.
  • In saucepan, melt the white chocolate with 6 Tbsp. butter & set aside.
  • In a mixing bowl, cream sugar & yolk, add the melted white chocolate/butter mixture on slow speed.
  • Add the cream-soaked bread, mix well.
  • In a separate bowl, prepare meringue by whipping room temperature egg whites and sugar til thickened; fold into the bread mixture.
  • Grease individual soufflé cups with butter and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Spoon a layer of ganache into the bottom of each cup. Top with bread pudding mixture.

Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 mins. Remove, cool slightly, dust with powdered sugar & serve with vanilla sauce.

NOTES; Brioche is a spongy textured, sweeter, egg bread. Whole Foods had it ($5.99 per loaf - NOT!!) Trader Joe's has brioche rolls (not a loaf) for $2.99 - I used 4 of the 6 rolls and had 2 left for sandwiches. You could substitute a combination of Kings Hawaiian sweet bread and yellow dinner rolls if you can't find brioche - my chef contact said don't do it - it wouldn't be the same.

Culinary bakers use scales for everything - hence the "3 ounces egg yolk, 2 ounces egg white, 8 ounces bread." I have a kitchen scale and weighed the eggs yolks and whites.

Mom2JJandJ :)

Dear Mom2JJandJ,

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I will be making it for my DH the week after valentines day, and I will let you know how I do. Before posting on CC I had done a quick INTERNET search that was unsuccessfully and thought I bet my CC friends can help with this. Thanks again!

Karen (RI_Lady)

The above recipe is what DW used to make this. It was just like Carnival! It is important to use the Brioche bread (we just found the rolls so used those). She made a 2nd batch using Challah bread and it wasn't quite as good. Not as sweet.

Thanks for the substitution info, I plan to stick to the recipe exactly. The saga continues,

Karen (RI_LADY)

After reading the recipe I am not sure if I will attempt to make it more than once, so I will gladly use this treat as an excuse for another cruise. Our next cruise is set for 2-2011 and I may not be able to wait that long. Hey is this a Carnival conspiracy?

Karen

This is my favorite too! As for a trade, I thought I would stay put with my DH, but I am rethinking that. He says send a photo of your DW. (LOL) He is in so much trouble!! (LOL)

Maybe I will not try this recipe!

The saga goes on,

Karen (RI_Lady)

P1060353.JPG

P1060356.JPG

Thank you for posting these photos, I can almost smell the vanilla and rich chocolate aromas. 2-2011 is too long to wait, good thing my CC friends came through with the recipe! I hope my version looks as good!

Karen (RI_Lady);)

Archived