Port of Tampa

chadci

I'm planning to get to the port pretty early and have a look around. We will be traveling via cab from the Sheraton Riverwalk and I'm wondering if the cab will just let us out or if the driver will sit in traffic letting the meter tick away?

How much should I expect the cab fare from the hotel to cost? About how far is it? How early is too early? I was thinking we could get there, drop our bags to the porter and wander around the port area until they start letting folks board... probably arrive 10:00 - 10:30

Hotel and Cruise Terminal are both downtown so they are pretty close and wouldn't take more than 5 minutes to get there. Since you are on the Legend, you must be leaving on a Sunday so the only traffic would be right around the terminal, and even then it's not that bad. I never take Cabs so can't really guestimate the cost but like I said, it's only a couple of miles and I always thought cabs charge by mileage, not time.

Thanks

I think they do charge by milage. Last cab I took was in NYC and he just told us $60 when we got in for where we needed to go.

Yep, it's a Sunday departure. Planning breakfast and then heading over to the port.

We just did the legend Jan. 3. We used Ground jet for transportation - 813 996-0700 Jaime. I think he charged $8 pp. Did a great job. You can't board the ship until around noon. Pretty much the norm for this ship. Cabins open around 1:30pm No traffic getting there.

It's only about a mile (a little less if you walk it but a little more in a car due to oneway streets).

Cab fare with the 2 major cab companies is $2 + 45 cents per 1/5th of a mile, so you'd be a tad under $5 for a cab, not including tip. They do have a "wait charge" but I think it only applies if, say, you stop at a store & they wait for you to run in & get something. Even if it's running while in the car, there will not be any traffic on Sunday morning.

If you were to go over at around 10 or so, yes you can just drop your bags with the porter (obviously not including your carryon stuff), then explore around.

I have never sailed from Tampa but will be in October. Is there much to see at the pier?

There are a few shops but most aren't open early on Sunday. The coffee place is but can get crowded quickly. However, the best thing there is the Florida Aquarium which opens at 9:30A. So unless you're in a real rush to get tot he waiting area until around 11:30A or so and then in a rush to get on board befor eyour cabins are ready around 1:30P, just drop you bags with the porters and head over to the Aquarium, it's right next door. Great way to entertain the kiddos pre cruise.

http://www.flaquarium.org/

There are a few shops but most aren't open early on Sunday. The coffee place is but can get crowded quickly. However, the best thing there is the Florida Aquarium which opens at 9:30A. So unless you're in a real rush to get tot he waiting area until around 11:30A or so and then in a rush to get on board befor eyour cabins are ready around 1:30P, just drop you bags with the porters and head over to the Aquarium, it's right next door. Great way to entertain the kiddos pre cruise.

http://www.flaquarium.org/

If you mean the Joffreys coffee shop in the Channelside complex (that was on the corner towards the aquarium), it closed about 2 months ago. Something else just opened up in the location, I think it's an art gallery.

Does the Sheraton offer "free" shuttles to the port?

I looked as that's where we are staying. I didn't find anything on the website and forgot to ask when I called to request a king sized bed ( booked on priceline) If I get a chance, I'll give a call back and ask and report back.

I looked as that's where we are staying. I didn't find anything on the website and forgot to ask when I called to request a king sized bed ( booked on priceline) If I get a chance, I'll give a call back and ask and report back.

I think they do. I've not stayed there pre-cruise (I live in the Tampa area) but have stayed at the hotel a couple of times with some friends when celebrating a special event type birthday (40, 50, & such). They've had a free shuttle service for hotel guests for trips within X distance (don't recall the distance). They brought us over to the Channelside area, which is where the cruise terminal is located.

• 3 months later...

We just won a bid on Priceline for the Sheraton Riverwalk, and yes there is a free shuttle. The port is 1 mile from the hotel, and the shuttle will take you anywhere within a 3 mile radius, and pick you up.

We just won a bid on Priceline for the Sheraton Riverwalk, and yes there is a free shuttle. The port is 1 mile from the hotel, and the shuttle will take you anywhere within a 3 mile radius, and pick you up.

Awesome news, when you take the shuttle over tot he port there really is nothing to do very early in the morning. the aquarium does open early and tickets are not expensive, my suggestion thought is pick up one of those travel books located in a McDonalds for tickets discounts.

I will be sailing out of the port of Tampa in June only 20 days away.. But I only like 15 minutes from the port.

Awesome news, when you take the shuttle over tot he port there really is nothing to do very early in the morning. the aquarium does open early and tickets are not expensive, my suggestion thought is pick up one of those travel books located in a McDonalds for tickets discounts.

I will be sailing out of the port of Tampa in June only 20 days away.. But I only like 15 minutes from the port.

Couple of other suggestions:

*DestinationTampa (a travel company) has discount tickets for the aquarium; don't recall the exact amount but iirc they save $3 to $5 per person. They have an office at both Terminal 2 and Terminal 3 of the Tampa port.

*There's a good little diner a couple of blocks from the Terminal, at the corner of Channelside & Kennedy - Zelda's Cafe. The food is very good, prices reasonable, staff very friendly. The owner is a Jamaican guy who worked for a number of years as a chef for one of the cruiselines.

We are returing to Port of Tampa on Legend in June, and our flight does not leave the airport until after 6pm. I know there are things we can do in the Tampa area, but my concern is there a place we can leave our bags? I thought about going to the aquarium--is there a "coat check" area that we can store our bags in? Any other suggestions on activites we can do with our bags in tow?

We are returing to Port of Tampa on Legend in June, and our flight does not leave the airport until after 6pm. I know there are things we can do in the Tampa area, but my concern is there a place we can leave our bags? I thought about going to the aquarium--is there a "coat check" area that we can store our bags in? Any other suggestions on activites we can do with our bags in tow?

read the thread this post is from:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=23381901&highlight=aquarium#post23381901

"the aquarium does open early and tickets are not expensive, my suggestion thought is pick up one of those travel books located in a McDonalds for tickets discounts. "

I guess it depends on what you consider "expensive." At $19.95 for adults (x 2) and $14.95 for kids (x 2), that makes almost $70 for a quick trip to the aquarium. In my budget, that's expensive!

Does Legend have a service comparable to that offered by Celebrity, wehein they transport your luggage to the airport?

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed at the Sheraton Riverwalk on our last cruise out of Tampa and were well pleased with our stay. We arrived the night before our cruise and although they do not offer any shuttle service from the airport they do have a free shuttle that will take you anywhere downtown and also will shuttle you to the port (Channelside) to board your ship. We arrived on a Saturday evening and that night we took the shuttle down to Channelside to eat dinner (great Thai food at the port). After dinner we simply called them and they came back and picked us up. Next morning they took us to the port with a stop while we bought water etc to take with us. Can't say enough good things about the Sheraton, it was without doubt the best pre-cruise stay we have ever had.

The Port itself is new looking and very attractive.

The Legend does offer the luggage transfer to the airport.

• 3 weeks later...
What does the Legend offers the luggage transfer to the airport mean?

At the end of the trip, they take your tagged luggage, bring it to the airport, and check it in with your airline, so you don't have to shlepp it around yourself.

Archived