Comfort Inn in Vancouver

Gator83

Depends on what you're looking for. There's a pub downstairs, so it can be noisy. It's right next to the trendy Yaletown area with plenty of restaurants and within walking distance of most things (pretty much all downtown Vancouver is walkable). Not the nicest area of downtown, but safe enough.

I believe the rooms are clean and comfortable - nothing fancy. Any particular reason you've booked this hotel versus something closer to Canada Place?

I booked it because I have been unsuccessful finding something on Priceline (but I will keep trying) and the price was not too expensive. I am also a Choice Privileges member so I thought I could use the credits. I have no problems booking something else but do not want to spend over $100 per night.

I am assuming you selected this place for the price... I looked it up online and it seems like the price is about $80.00-90.00 USD... for the same price I found some nicer selections I am not sure when you are leaving (found on Expedia.ca) Friday night stay.

Marriot Vancouver Pinnacle Downtown $110. CDN

Renaissance Vancouver Harbourside Hotel $119. CDN

I actually got the Comfort Inn for $57 (USD) with a government discount so that is a good rate. I just want to make sure that it is a clean place, not too noisey and in a fairly decent location. Of course I wouldn't mind staying at one of the places you mentioned either.

Thanks

Gator83 - the Comfort Inn is located in the heart of the pub and entertainment district on Granville St in downtown Vancouver - it is an older hotel that was completely redone after a fire gutted its pub a couple of years ago and is a much better property now than before the fire - it has a great grill/pub called Doolin's and as long as you don't mind street noise this is not a bad location - if you are going to be there on a Friday or Saturday night the pubs/bars in the area are open to at least 3AM - it is close to the evolving Yaletown scene and close to Robson street shopping and about a mile from Canada Place.

The price you got seems good for Vancouver in the summer because once the cruise ships start to arrive the prices start to climb considerably - ask yourself this question - how much time are you likely to be spending in the hotel anyway - if you want it quiet the others hotels mentioned are closer to port and a little further away from the entertainment scene.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I have not used it before and even though I have read somethings about it I am still about confused, especially about the free bid. Do you have any hints for me?

Thank you

For good friendly advice on bidding, take a look at this site.

What star level are you bidding for? If you bid for a 4* Vancouver, you will get hotels like the Hyatt, Marriott, and Sheraton Wall Centre. All very nice hotels and central to most everything. We got the Hyatt once for $60 and the Marriott for $55. The weekend we stayed at the Marriott, there were a lot of cruise ship passengers (it was in May and the beginning of Alaska cruise season).

About re-bidding: In a nutshell, if you bid for a 4*, you will have 3 free re-bid zones (at this writing) because Priceline doesn't offer any 4* hotels in Langley, Delta, and Surrey.

Therefore, if you make your 1st bid for Vancouver 4* at $xx and it's rejected; you can immediately re-bid by adding one of the zones with only lower star ratings (ie. Langley, Delta, or Surrey). Remember, you won't get these zones because they don't have 4* hotels, but you can add them to gain another chance to bid. So your 1st re-bid might be Vancouver + Delta at $xx + say $5. Next bid, add Langley or Surrey, etc. For more details and strategies, check out the link above. Hope this helps some. I know it's confusing at first, but well worth the effort.

ell :)

=Urban trekker- it is an older hotel that was completely redone after a fire gutted its pub a couple of years ago and is a much better property now than before the fire -

Is this the hotel, that has 2 bars. One you enter in the front and go down a lot of stairs? The other bar, enter on the side and it is up a few stairs?

If that is the bar, I actually stayed there once, long story but I wasnt able to drive :eek: The lobby was nice, the rooms were not nice. The floor seemed somewhat slanted, and it was uneasy walking around (no it wasn't the alchol) and it was OLD OLD OLD. The walls where very thin and tin like.. (if that makes sense) and not even as well... Maybe I had a bad room, but I was not impressed even though I didnt have much of a choice, and it was cheap! I guess you get what you pay for

I cannot remember the name of the bars for the life of me!

Once it was called the Belmont, then the Nelson Place and now the Comfort Inn - it was completely rebuilt after the fire and I doubt the Choice groups of hotels would allow anyone to use the Comfort Inn label if it wasn't a respectable moderate priced property

The downstairs pub used to be called Fred's downtown tavern - it has been replaced with a nightclub - the up stairs pub is now Doolin's - a very popular place to grab a good pub meal and cold one.

Does this bring back memories

Cheers

Dennis

Archived