Packing Scuba Gear

MargaritaPlease

I'm about to take my own scuba gear on a cruise for the first time. How do you recommend packing it? I've got a duffel with dive flag designs on it that seems to me to scream "steal me"!! Should I toss that inside an unmarked duffel? Also, do you carry your regulator/dive computer in your carry on?

I pack my mask, fin, wetsuit and carry on my Regulator, dive camera and computer. Most places will not let you carry a knife, and you have to turn it in to the pursers desk. I do not bring mine. Some sights don't want you to wear gloves either due to increase risk you will touch the reefs. I wear mine due to my profession, I can not risk having cuts on my hands. I am also very careful not to touch anything though. My wetsuit is only a 3mm to protect my skin too. Still deciding if I want to dive on Saturday in Cozumel. My Dad can no longer dive and I hate leaving him on the surface because he loved diving. I am only bringing my mask in case I decide to dive. Have a fun safe dive!!

I carry on my mask, regulator, and dive computer. I have read reports that masks can be damaged (i.e., cracked) if they are in the luggage hold so I don't take a chance. I have scuba flag luggage tags on all of my suitcases and carry on, including the one that actually contains the gear but none actually say "scuba" on them.

We bought Akona roller dive bags years ago and they work great. Dive gear is heavy. I would absolutely get something with wheels. We didn't want to lug all our dive gear on this past trip, but in the past we have packed mask, snorkel, fins, boots, wetsult, BCD, regs (in a padded reg bag), lights and not had a problem with damage, even with homeland security pawing through and rearranging everything and leaving the regs out of the bag. We don't pack knives anymore just to avoid any potential hassle. Gear for one will fill a bag. We just got really tired of all this ridiculous amount of luggage on all our land based trips, so this time we just used one bag and packed only personal gear and left our BCDS and regs and misc stuff at home. Depending where you're going to dive, if you can trust the gear and it's cheap or included, you might want to consider not lugging it all on a cruise ship.

Oh, we always carry on our computers (except last time with the no carry on restrictions). Don't want those lost/damaged, particularly if you have dives you haven't downloaded.

I'm about to take my own scuba gear on a cruise for the first time. How do you recommend packing it? I've got a duffel with dive flag designs on it that seems to me to scream "steal me"!! Should I toss that inside an unmarked duffel? Also, do you carry your regulator/dive computer in your carry on?

Wife and I pack everything in a hard side suitcase. We carry regs/computers as a carry on.

Once on ship, we transfer each ones gear to the netted style dive bags.We then have those foldable travel roller units which we strap the gear to.

Steve

Wife and I pack everything in a hard side suitcase. We carry regs/computers as a carry on.

Once on ship, we transfer each ones gear to the netted style dive bags.We then have those foldable travel roller units which we strap the gear to.

Steve

Yes, yes. Forgot to mention that we always take the mesh, back pack style bags too. They're a must (or a duffel) for getting on the dive boat. They don't want you to roll some giant roller bag onto the boat.

Very good point Steve.

DW and I always carry our own dive gear on board with us. No way would I put my regulator and dive computer in a checked bag. We have taken our dive gear this way on our last 5 cruises without any problems.

DH and I pack all our gear (except regs and computers) in a regular suitcase along with clothing to pad it. I never take my big dive bag because, like you said, it screams "expensive stuff inside." We also pack foldable mesh backbacks to use once on board. Carry on the regs and computers. FYI, I accidently left my dive knife on my BC a couple years ago and my bag was confiscated. The bag was never delivered to my room, and we kept asking and asking, with no answer. Finally (11PM day of embarkation), they were able to locate my bag. It had been locked up on Deck 0 in a closet of confiscated bags. After opening the bag up and showing them the blunt-end knife, they ended up letting me keep it anyway. I understand that I shouldn't have taken the knife (it was an accident), but I was more annoyed that they didn't bother to notify me of where my bag was and why! Had I not kept asking, it would have remained on Deck 0 in a closet! Anyway, don't take any chances, leave the knife at home!!

For our cruise on 2/21!! My dad is driving to Florida to join my mom, who is vacationing at my aunt's condo at Clearwater Beach, soooo we packed ALL our dive gear PLUS all our cruise clothes (formal wear, resort wear, etc) sooooo when we fly out on 2/20 we will only travel with carry-ons!

Now that is the way to do it (unless someone breaks into the car and takes off with everything :eek:) I'm a bit nervous but hope it all works out!! :D :D He says he's in a 2-seater SUV - it's so packed with bags! LOL!! :p

On our last few cruises, we either packed our gear in regular suitcases and put regs/masks in carry-ons, or just took regs/mask and rented everything else. It does get tedious to pack all that STUFF!! Especially with the fees to check bags these days.

Leave knives at home, Carry on Computers, Everything else check as luggage, 10 Cruise dive excursions, no problems.

You don't have to leave your dive knife at home. If you leave your knife on your BC and you carry on your equipment, they will notice it when they scan your bag. Explain that it is a dive knife and emphatically explain that you need this for your safety and insist that they give the knife to ships security, they will/can. If they say thaey can't, tell them again it is for your safety and that you need the knife at depth. Then, when you leave the ship to go diving ships security will retrieve the knife for you. When you come back from your excursion, a buzzer will go off informing ships security that you have a knife and they will hold it for you until the next port.

Boy, am I glad I came across this thread...my BF is diving when we set sail on the Valor in September and he was wondering what to do with all his stuff.

Looks like we'll be carrying on his mask (it's got prescription lenses), computer and regulator and packing his BC and fins. I'll warn him about the knife situation and let him make his own choice about that.

thanks again!

bonnie

Boy, am I glad I came across this thread...my BF is diving when we set sail on the Valor in September and he was wondering what to do with all his stuff.

Looks like we'll be carrying on his mask (it's got prescription lenses), computer and regulator and packing his BC and fins. I'll warn him about the knife situation and let him make his own choice about that.

thanks again!

bonnie

Great, that's what cruise critic is for, to help people. Glad this thread accomplished that for you. Have a great trip.:)

Archived