Rough Seas on So. American cruise?

1aCruise4wks

While it is winter in Fort Lauderdale, it is summer in Buenos Aires.

I understand this, but my question is what are the seas like around the horn of South America, if they are as rough as what Johhny B is writing they are in their live blog on the Prinsendam right now. :confused:

You should always remember that when it is winter here in the northern hemisphere, it is summer down around the cape. But rough seas, rain and even snow showers can occur in their summer. And also remember that this southern itinerary is normally available only between October and early May to take advantage of what should be better weather - but no guarantees!!!:)

I understand this, but my question is what are the seas like around the horn of South America, if they are as rough as what Johhny B is writing they are in their live blog on the Prinsendam right now. :confused:

Sorry I misunderstood your question. I don't understand your reference to Johnny B. When did Johnny B sail Cape Horn?

From reading Johnny B's thread this morning, seas were pretty awful as they approached the Falklands and the Prinsendam was unable to position itself so passengers could go ashore. That port call was cancelled.

FYI

my DH and I are looking at booking the 32 day Veendam Inca discovery cruise for October 2011. Are the seas any different in the fall winter months versus the Spring? I guess what I am asking is what are the pros and cons of sailing in the fall/winter months (northern hemisphere)?

I believe you are trying to find out if it makes a difference sailing around the Horn in Oct/Nov rather than Jan-Feb-Mar..

I don't know if there is a differnce..It looks like most of us, who have posted on this thread, have cruised around the Horn between Dec & Feb..The reason for that is, it's warmer (summer) at that time of year in Rio, BA & Santiago..However even in Dec & Jan it is cold (similar to Alaska) going around the Horn & viewing the glaciers..Many of us would prefer to sail in the warmer months in South America....

As we've all mentioned, you never know what kind of wind & seas you will get..Randy's seas were rough in January, Arzz ship in Feb hit a rogue wave,

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ive+Prinsendam

our seas were like glass in December...

What we are all trying to convey is, you take your chances..:) Prepare for rough seas with Medications..

To quote Arzz

Yes, it was a wild ride, but it was the trip of a lifetime and we would do it again without a moment's hesitation. It is still our number one cruise experience --

I think we all feel the same, rough seas or not...

Betty

Correction to my post above. Prinsendam is not in the Falklands. She is still on the west coast of South America.

I'm reading two blogs about two cruises and two different ships with similiar itineraries....and I had a senior moment.....they are starting to occur more frequently of late....

I think on the South American itinerary you must expect some rough weather somewhere - prepare for that and be pleasantly surprised if you are lucky. On Rotterdam in March 2008 we went to the Falklands in calm seas and blue skies, people who did the January sailings did not get to land. On the other hand they got round the Cape and we did not - we just went to look at it in the lee of it in very rough weather then headed to Ushiawa where the port would not allow us to land because of the high winds. Once we got through the ffjords on the West coast no more rough weather. I must say that the Rotterdam handled the bad seas well so I am sure Veendam will do the same.

Archived