Rough Seas on So. American cruise?

1aCruise4wks

My wife and I are booked on the Veendam to sail from Santiago, Chile (actually Valpraiso) to Rio de Janeiro next month. My wife is sometimes affected by really rough seas. We've heard that the passage around the southern tip of South America can be rough. How bad is it? The last time my wife got ill on a cruise ship was when we were sailing in 25-foot swells. Is it anything like that?

It can be very rough down there.

Not at all unusual for ships to be unable to tender passengers into Port Stanley, Falkland Islands. Several years ago, several hundred passengers from a Holland American Lines ship were stranded there overnight, when a storm came up. They ended up sleeping in farmhouses, school gyms, etc. They were able to tender back to the ship the next day.

We went 'round the Horn on Regal Princess, Mar 06, and it was not bad at all. We did get into the Falklands! There was only mild chop at the Horn.

After reaching the Chilean Fjords, very strong winds caused our ship to miss one port. We did pull into another, but had to have two tugboats pushing against the hull steadily to keep us at the pier, and to keep us from pulling the pier's pylons out.

There are many effective medicines available to settle the stomach during rough passages.

Yes, it can get ROUGH. We did the Antarctic cruise in 2008 and experienced 40+ foot seas from the Falklands to Antarctica (which you'll be missing), but it was also WAY too rough for us to tender into Stanley.

I am one who gets seasick very easily. This cruise I finally found the combination that works for me. I wear 'the patch' (Rx from my doctor) and take 2 ginger capsules with breakfast and another 2 with dinner. I'd do this cruise again in a heartbeat.

Two years ago down there, the Prinsendam hit two waves estimated to be 60 feet high in a matter of minutes.

Everything in the dining room went flying including some passengers. According to the CC member who was on board and blogging, most of the glassware on board was destroyed. As I recall, the ship put into Ushuaia to disembark injured passengers and to purchase every piece of glassware they could find.

Somewhere in the archives here there is a thread which includes this report. I believe the CC member was Arzz. I may not be spelling the name correctly.

It was a hair-raising experience.

Apparantly, It can get very rough down there.

Both times I've been around the Horn it's been smooth as glass. Around the Horn. :) But other parts of the cruise have been Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. :eek:

I was with Mary Ellen on the cruise she reported. It was kind of bumpy there for a while. But, as she says, something I would do again, regardless of the "bumps".

You never can tell what it will be like..

We did that Cruise on the Amsterdam in 2003 with Friends.. Both our DH's were very disappointed as they are Sailboaters & it was smooth as glass going around the Horn of S.A. ..LOL;)

Suggest your wife talk to your physician about getting the patch..Our Dr. did not want to prescribe it, as there are side effects..So we took Meclizine with us, but never needed it..

Enjoy your cruise..Betty

Somewhere in the archives here there is a thread which includes this report. I believe the CC member was Arzz. I may not be spelling the name correctly.

Here is the aforementioned post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=8983933&postcount=44

Do You Hit a Rogue Wave or Does a Rogue Wave Hit You?

The question is rhetorical as either way you and the wave have collided. But more on that later.

Let me say this now, the all the staff and crew on board the Prinsendam have demonstrated again and again today extreme professionalism both above and beyond the call of duty as we would expect of a Holland America crew (and more than we would expect) - - and we are well.

We were scheduled to travel around the horn between about 6 and 8 am. We were also warned to expect 30 foot seas -- We awoke and dressed around 6:30 -- the seas were rough but not too bad yet -- and went up to the Lido. Comfortably seated and surrounded by hot coffee and chocolate croissants the seas started to churn up. The Captain announced that Cape Horn was on starboard -- but you had to look REAL hard because of the heavy storm and mists from the top of the waves. A little later he announced that due to the weather we would not be turning to put the Cape to port side. Soon we started to hear crashes every time we hit a wave. We retreated to lower decks (but not before DH went up to deck 13 for a few salty photos -- and enjoyed a wave that washed the Crow’s Nest windows).

We weren’t just rounding the horn, but we were doing it in traditional style. Anyone for climbing the mast to adjust the sails? Here we were with a few hundred other folks who were actually pleased and excited to be sailing in what was now becoming ridiculous seas. Does this strike anyone else as odd?

By noon the date and time channel was reporting 70.9 knot winds (force 12 - Hurricane) -- the seas were listed as 18 feet (very rough) but clearly there were swells at least twice that height. Of particular interest to DH and I were the ones that produced sustained time (an actual second or two) with the cabin window under water.

As good cruise passengers, however, it was time to eat. We decided that the lido was too high -- out of the question, so we and at least half the ship proceeded to the dining room. The tables were bare except for table cloths. We were handed glasses of water and one knife and one fork each (already too much to hold in two hands). There was much rubble on the floor, all pushed to the side. Much of it was organized equipment that would ordinarily been on tables or the waiter stations.

We sat at the stern and ordered simple food as we watched the swells beginning to rise significantly above the level of the promenade railings. We held on to the tables as they were fixed and without holding, our chairs had a mind of their own. Then the big one came.

In slow motion I watched DH’s chair slideback from the table, his butter go over and I was unable to help -- then for the ride in the opposite direction. My chair took to the road -- it went forward several feet with me helpless to change its course until it gently dumped me on my knees in a pile other people and chairs -- and the people and chair’s kept coming. I was being held tightly around the waist by our dining room steward who kept saying things like - hold on -- there is going to be one more -- just wait, as more people and chairs kept arriving behind us. Then it was over. Those who were sitting in locations that kept them stable just kept saying “I can’t believe how big that wave was!” I was still holding my water glass -- now, however, it was completely empty.

People helped each other get up and to my knowledge no one in our area was seriously hurt though we may be a bit worse for the wear with a few bruises. The floor was covered with broken glass and butter. We stayed where we were and held on until the Captain announced that he thought the ship’s heading was now a little more stable, and we went down to our cabins. They set up emergency first aid in the Explorer’s Lounge. We do not yet know if anyone was seriously injured or how big that bugger was. That I would really like to know.

The Captain just shared that, number one, the ship is fine and sound. He explained that they have headed the ship on the best course possible. But we do have to understand that we are having “the 45 foot seas and then there are the big ones that come in between”.

Our cabin did not fare much better than we did. We found our toothbrushes on the floor of the shower. All those nice wine and cocktail glasses were now in shatters and shards all over the cabin, the DVD player was hanging from the wall by its power cord, and somehow the glass top of our cocktail table was sitting in the middle of the bed.

We have cleaned up the cabin as best as we can and we now wait for the next chapter.

It is 4 pm. Our seas seem better. We have just heard from the Captain that the waves are now averaging 45 feet. I am no longer sure that I want to know how tall they were before. The ship will return to Ushuia as we have passengers who require medical attention. We will, however, have to go around the horn again to return to Ushuia -- the weather will still not allow it. When it clears we will turn around and go back to Ushuia.

Currently we wait in our cabin as the ship is doing a head count “as is routine in situations like this”. We have been told that the ship is sound, but that the “hotel department” has sustained much damage. So now we wait again.

Head count is over. DH is taking pictures of what happened in the ship’s shops. We are fine -- I will post more when I can but for now all is well.

Bulletin: Just heard -- they will be serving dinner tonight (modified) in the dining room.

Scott.

The ship I was on was running at full throttle and only getting a speed of six knots over the ground off Cape Horn when it hit a rogue wave that stopped it dead in the water - the spray hit the windows on the 11th deck. The captain told everyone to sit down & hang on because he was turning the ship around - fortunately he didn't get hit with another one like that when he was broadside to the waves!

Yes, it can be very rough but I would do that trip again after I get to all the other places I still haven't seen.....it is a wonderful experience.:):)

Gena

I would expect and be prepared for the worst and be happy when you don't get it.

We went around the Cape in February of 2004 and it was not too bad - cold and windy but not high seas.

Barbara

Agree. Cape Horn has always had a fearsome reputation, some of it justified, but it really boils down to luck and the season to a certain extent. If you're a particularly nervous sailor then maybe reconsider, or if you are only concerned about sicksickness then take plenty of meds and enjoy the ride.

I am quite flattered that my blog has been resurrected and quoted here.

Yes, it was a wild ride, but it was the trip of a lifetime and we would do it again without a moment's hesitation. It is still our number one cruise experience -- even better than the incredible 65 magical days we spent aboard the Amsterdam in the fall of 08. How boring to go around the horn without the drama! (though I have to admit I made it through unscathed with the help of my friend Bonine!)

From what I hear from others there is no way to know how you will experience going around the horn -- it can be smooth as glass or it can be a wild ride. All part of the wonderful adventure of cruising.

If you want to do it, prepare for the possibility of high seas and enjoy. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

You could indeed have rough seas around the tip of South America but you could as likely have smooth sailing the whole way.

We crossed the Drake Passage from Falkland Islands to the Antarctic Peninsula & onwards to South Georgia on a 165-pax expedition ship. We had the Drake Lake on the way down but we got the Drake Shake on the way back. The seas were furious & many folks were queasy.

We recently sailed HAL from Rio to Valparaiso. We had a blustery but uneventful passage around the Horn. We had high seas, lots of rain & winds. Many folks were unstable on their feet but otherwise just fine. So you just never know. This is an awesome destination that’s well worth whatever measures you need to take against potential seasickness.

I am quite flattered that my blog has been resurrected and quoted here.

Two Christmases past, we booked the Amsterdam very last minute on a SCL - Antarctica - GIG itinerary -- only eight days prior to sailing in fact. Booked on an HH guarantee, and lucked out being assigned with a B verandah cabin two days after we booked.

We had to do a lot of research quickly as to what to were the high- and lowlights of the tour. A couple of minutes on Google and I was able to find your thread! It was (and still is) a great read. Thank you.

Scott.

my DH and I are looking at booking the 32 day Veendam Inca discovery cruise for October 2011. Are the seas any different in the fall winter months versus the Spring? I guess what I am asking is what are the pros and cons of sailing in the fall/winter months (northern hemisphere)?

When we sailed around the Horn in 2005 it was very rough. I recall seeing waves break over the windows in the Queens Lounge on the Promenade Deck ( Deck 4 ). But the trip was worth it and one of the best we have ever taken. We are planning to go there again next year.

Just be sure to take along your sea sick medication.

It sounds as if your wife has no trouble in normal seas, but gets a bit sick when the seas get fairly high. In truth, that can happen to anyone, even the most hardy of us. I never get motion sick, but was working on my boat's engine in a very choppy sea, and had to be a) down below and b) in a very warm area with virtually no ventilation. I have done that before, but one time it got me.

I haven't gone around the Cape, but it is one of the world's more notorious places. As reported, it can be calm or it can be very intense.

You did not say whether taking normal precautions, i.e. keeping the horizon visible, keeping in a cool place, eating normal meals, etc., helped or not. Certainly, I would do all of those things. Seasickness is caused by a conflict in the brain from messages from the eyes that you are not moving, and messages from the inner ear that you are moving. But some people can only handle so much.

Ginger pills, candies, cookies, etc., all help. There are, of course, the standard medications that might be sufficient if your wife is OK most of the time, which she seems to be.

Someone mentioned the patch, and I presume he/she means the scopolamine patch. That is an excellent remedy IF you tolerate it. It has side-effects. Minor and very common side-effects are a dry mouth. More extreme side-effects are hallucinations. Because nobody wants to be next to the rail of a moving ship while having hallucinations, you need to get this prescription early, and try the patch on dry land first. If you tolerate it, it is the best remedy (strongest if not the best).

When we sailed around the Horn in 2005 it was very rough. I recall seeing waves break over the windows in the Queens Lounge on the Promenade Deck ( Deck 4 ). But the trip was worth it and one of the best we have ever taken. We are planning to go there again next year.

Just be sure to take along your sea sick medication.

when did you sail? does the time of year make any difference? what are the temperature differences between a February cruise and an October cruise??:confused:

We sailed in January, 2005 as we went on down to the Antarctic and it was the height of their summer.

Fortunately, we caught the weather down there just right and it was near perfect although still pretty cold for a South Texas boy.

I have no idea about the temperatures at other times of the year.

On the Veendam cruise ending in Valparizo January 30th we had 100+ mph winds and 30' seas at one point...

We had 70 knot winds while at dock in Puenta Arenas Chile... they had a tug pushing against the ship while tied to the dock, in addtion to running the ship's thrusters for 5 hours... all while moored to the dock...

With that said, as a passenger, it wasn't that bad... the ship moved, but not so much that you couldn't get around... the show went on, star in high heels...

We did take medication to prevent Mal de maire... we didn't suffer from Mal de maire...

My wife called the motion "shippy" and thought is added to the cruise.

I think South American sailings around the Horn are only done between December and March. Do others know this to be a fact?

the Veendam does a 32 or 35 day cruise from FLL or NYC to Buenos Aires so there is a "winter" sailing, that is why I am asking.

Archived