Need help with train-motorcoach excusion in Skagway

bluedevil72

We have done the round-trip train trip and have also rented a car and driven to Emerald Lake, so this time around, with some new cruisers, we want to do a combination of the two. We are on the Carnival Spirit and are scheduled to arrive at 7:00 am. (If I remember correctly from our last two trips there, we were docked earlier than the scheduled time.) The excursion through the railroad begins at 7:30 and we have to be at the depot at 7:20. Has anybody ever done this with this timetable, and is it doable? I know if we can actually get off at 7:00, the walk to the depot is only 5-10 minutes. I just can't remember how soon we were able to get off. I know Carnival also offers something close to this excursion, but on the website right now, it says you can only book on the ship and it doesn't give the price. Has anyone does this through Carnival and how much does it cost?

You might look at the various tours offered by Chilkoot Charters. I did the one in 2008 while in Skagway on a Princess cruise. They picked us up around 7:30 at the pier, took us to the train station, we had a car just for Chilkoot Charter passengers, picked us up in a 20 (or so) passenger van at Fraser, BC, took us up to Carcross (stopping various places including Emerald Lake) and then back to Skagway. I enjoyed everything about the tour (except the weather - it was lousy - but 2008 was generally a lousy weather year in all of SE Alaska!).

You might look at the various tours offered by Chilkoot Charters. I did the one in 2008 while in Skagway on a Princess cruise. They picked us up around 7:30 at the pier, took us to the train station, we had a car just for Chilkoot Charter passengers, picked us up in a 20 (or so) passenger van at Fraser, BC, took us up to Carcross (stopping various places including Emerald Lake) and then back to Skagway. I enjoyed everything about the tour (except the weather - it was lousy - but 2008 was generally a lousy weather year in all of SE Alaska!).

This sounds like the exact post I would make except we were fortunate to have beautiful weather in 2009. I would highly recommend this excursion.:)

I will also be on the Spirit. We will be on the 7/13 cruise. I have also booked with Chilkoot Charters and they told me that they would be picking us up right at the ship at 7:30. I like knowing that we will not have to make our own way to the train, even though it is not far.

Our excursions for Skagway are now available and the equivalent tour through Carnival is $205.

Archived