St. Thomas Jeep and Beach Tour - STE1

We did this in December. They use convertible Jeep Wranglers. Although they drive on the left, they are all left hand drive vehicles and automatics. Be warned, it is a bit of a squeeze to get in the back when you swap drivers. Its about a 10 min easy walk through Havensight to the Jeep place (your guide will meet you by the ship). First drive is through town to College beach north of the airport. This was almost empty when we were there and stopped for 30 mins (no facilities). 2nd drive is up to 'Mountain Top' where you can sample the world famous (so they said) banana daiquiri (obviously virgin if you are driving). This is another 30 min stop. There is also a rooftop lookout to take photos. 3rd drive is to Sapphire Beach for another 30 min break (food/drink, but very iffy toilets!). 4th drive takes you back to the rental place, so if there are 4 of you you have 4 driving opportunities. In our group of 4, only 3 wanted to drive, but none of us had any problems. There is one guide vehicle, so anyone riding with him can't drive, but everyone has a radio to keep in contact, hear the 'commentary' and ask any questions as you are driving along. I've done similar tours on other islands and this was as good as any. Don't forget to take your licence and go for it.

Simon

Driving in St Thomas is on the left side of the road with some roads very narrow and traffic can be real bad with that being said.You can see alot of the Island if you want an adventure:D

We have heard about the narrow roads and how fun(?) that can be. As this is our third trip to St Thomas, so just trying to find something a little different to do. Thanks for the info.

We did this in December. They use convertible Jeep Wranglers. Although they drive on the left, they are all left hand drive vehicles and automatics. Be warned, it is a bit of a squeeze to get in the back when you swap drivers. Its about a 10 min easy walk through Havensight to the Jeep place (your guide will meet you by the ship). First drive is through town to College beach north of the airport. This was almost empty when we were there and stopped for 30 mins (no facilities). 2nd drive is up to 'Mountain Top' where you can sample the world famous (so they said) banana daiquiri (obviously virgin if you are driving). This is another 30 min stop. There is also a rooftop lookout to take photos. 3rd drive is to Sapphire Beach for another 30 min break (food/drink, but very iffy toilets!). 4th drive takes you back to the rental place, so if there are 4 of you you have 4 driving opportunities. In our group of 4, only 3 wanted to drive, but none of us had any problems. There is one guide vehicle, so anyone riding with him can't drive, but everyone has a radio to keep in contact, hear the 'commentary' and ask any questions as you are driving along. I've done similar tours on other islands and this was as good as any. Don't forget to take your licence and go for it.

Simon

Simon,

Thanks for the info. We have 2 teenagers with us, so hopefully it wouldn't be too cramped for them in the back of the jeep. So, you felt it was a worthwhile tour? We have heard how fun(?) it can be driving in St Thomas, so still haven't decided whether we want to do this or not. But just trying to find something a little different from most island tours.

Simon

You did this in December 2009? Was the Mountaintop rebuilt after the fire or were they just serving drinks there? I hope it's been rebuilt as it was a beautiful spot to view Magen's Bay, etc. We're leaving on February 20 and would like to go there again.

Simon,

Thanks for the info. We have 2 teenagers with us, so hopefully it wouldn't be too cramped for them in the back of the jeep. So, you felt it was a worthwhile tour? We have heard how fun(?) it can be driving in St Thomas, so still haven't decided whether we want to do this or not. But just trying to find something a little different from most island tours.

You get to see the island and some beach time, so I think it was worthwhile. The kids should have no problem jumping in the back. Personally I found no problems driving round the island, but the guide does advise you to sound the horn when going round a junction!

Simon

You did this in December 2009? Was the Mountaintop rebuilt after the fire or were they just serving drinks there? I hope it's been rebuilt as it was a beautiful spot to view Magen's Bay, etc. We're leaving on February 20 and would like to go there again.

I had heard about that, but I'm not sure this is the same place. If you google "world famous banana daiquiri st thomas" it will come up with the website of the place, so you will be able to tell.

Simon

You get to see the island and some beach time, so I think it was worthwhile. The kids should have no problem jumping in the back. Personally I found no problems driving round the island, but the guide does advise you to sound the horn when going round a junction!

Simon

Thanks again Simon for all the info.

Is it per person or by vehicle, any idea on cost?

Its done per person, but if like us you are a couple, you will be made up into groups of 4. Its a great way to meet someone. We've done this a couple of times and are still friends with a Canadian couple we met on a similar tour in Aruba in 2003. Check on the RCI site for the cost. I think it was about £50 ($80?).

Simon

Archived