QM2 5/21 Eastbound TA

mike14c

Rob't, Those NYT critics you know how they are. The Times of London and the Telegraph, the two broadsheets in the UK liked the show. In any event we shall see it. We're going to Simpsons in the Strand before the show.

And I booked a super duper festive event at the theatre, where in your met by a butler, taken to your table in the Bar, Given bubbly to warm you up and taken to your seats. At the interval, you are fetched; brought back to the bar given more bubbly, and hand made chocolates before your taken back to your seat. After the show finishes, your collected again, and given a souvenir brochure.

Cost more per person than the tix. But this may be our friend Toms last visit to London, so we wanted to make it very special.

Mike

Jim and Robert, welcome to the thread. Count on having a good time aboard. Since I have been such a good boy, Cunard has given me four upgrades, From a Q5 to a Q4 east and west bound, and then today to a Q2 for both legs.

Let me tell you we are going to have party time. Starting with the sail away party as we overlook the pool and deck where the party is held. And Mike, of course your Amazing Sis is also Invited.

Any other travelers for either east bound 21st May or west bound 1st. June?

Mike

Mike

Now I am really disappointed you are not staying on for our 4 night cruise bigmike...it would have been great to sample your cabin (sorry penthouse) not having experienced a Q2 yet!:D

Mike:

the white dj is a MUST for Hawaii! Once you cross into the tropics you're defineatly safe in whit jacket -- that was it's original purpose, as tropical cruise wear, long befor Bogie wore his in Casablanca. I envy you those warm tropical evenings!!

Purists, who,of course, suffer from certainty, would tell us the whit DJ is only acceptable in the tropics. But, as any sissy can tell you, purists never have as much, and seldom look good. Or is that puritans?

NY Mike, I have never felt the puritan outfits looked particularly dapper. And since we're taking a car to the port, no shipping, I can bring a particularly large bag. Its too bad the storage is so poor in the QG staterooms on the Victoria.

Thats what you get when Italians design something. It will look spiffy, but something like a big closet or bag storage well what ever. I will admit the people in Italy look great in clothes, but do they have more than three changes ?

Probably not a topic for this board though.

Four weeks from tomorrow we board and the party begins.

Mike.

Mike:

the white dj is a MUST for Hawaii! Once you cross into the tropics you're defineatly safe in whit jacket -- that was it's original purpose, as tropical cruise wear, long befor Bogie wore his in Casablanca. I envy you those warm tropical evenings!!

Purists, who,of course, suffer from certainty, would tell us the whit DJ is only acceptable in the tropics. But, as any sissy can tell you, purists never have as much, and seldom look good. Or is that puritans?

Well, I intend to wear mine at least once. I have to wear a suit and tie 5 days a week and ~260 days a year - even during TX heat waves - which is depressing and repitious. Yes, I have a seersucker suit and a number of poplin ones, but to heck with 'the rules.'

See you all at dinner.

Well, to quote the famous Trans Atlantic Liner expert and frequent Cunard Lecturer Bill Miller. " well boys, here we go" well in four weeks, here we go.

Now that we have the tux questions ironed out so to speak, lets talk about ties and cummerbunds. Black ties? Red Ties ? Tartan ties (and matching cummerbund) ?, Black with silver polka dots (matching CB)? Studs or no studs? And then there are the pocket squares every color of the rainbow. Which night to wear the tartan trousers ( second formal I think. ) And for semi formal- ties with matching braces, Blazer, not suit though.

I Imagine we will make quite a dapper scene in the Queens Grill and perhaps in the QG lounge having a pre or apres dinner cocktail. Not to mention the Captains Grills Cocktail Party, in the the Queens Room. By the way if you want a particular spirit to drink, you simply ask the waiter for it, and pass on the Pol Acker. It took me 4 cruises to figure that one out.

The big bags came out of storage yesterday, The folding tissues out of the Christmas wrap, and the serious folding and packing will shortly commence. The White Star luggage folks come to pick up on the 13th of May

I am as excited as a kid.

Mike

There is quite a discussion going on over on the main Cunard board about wearing white dinner jackets. One particularly pushy lady, who has chosen Widow Cliquot as her name, says they are ridiculous. I have posted comments and would welcome yours as well.

Want to step up to the plate and bat a few?

Mike.

My WDJ comment over on the main board was going to be even sharper, but should we sink to the level of the nasties? I'm dying to see Widow Cliquot's (oh please) shoes on formal nights. You just know they'll be wrong, I can tell by her grammar.

And the poeple that quote that dreary fromalwear website! Oh, well, enough said.

And the poeple that quote that dreary fromalwear website! Oh, well, enough said.

Many of these rules associated with dressing for the climate were conceived of prior to the advent of A/C and sophisticated temprature control HVAC systems.

I have been following some of the crosstalk about the WDJ and it seems so silly to have some formalwear Website dictate the "rule" of when to wear one. To break up the monontony, I plan to wear mine towards the end of the trip, close to Memorial Day. I'm a Southerner in practice if not by birth. :)

Deo vindici -

Rob't.

One particularly pushy lady, who has chosen Widow Cliquot as her name, says they are ridiculous. I have posted comments and would welcome yours as well.

Want to step up to the plate and bat a few?

Mike.

Let's hope she is surrounded by white jackets when she's on board:D

Welshy, I doubt she even cruises. Just a trouble maker. Well, now its about time for you to get all excited about your cruise isn't it. Have you found any pals for your trip. You should start a thread for the crusie, I bet you will get some interest.

California Mike.

RE: the 'butler service' on the QG; do they unpack the luggage upon embarkation or should I really not take this service all that seriously. I have stayed on hotel levels with so-called butler service and to-date, not all that impressed with it. On this occassion, do not want to raise any expectations only to have them deflated.

Also - how do they know what to stock our bar with - are we given a menu when we board?

I have never asked the butler to unpack or pack myself, and don't recal them offering, but if you asked, I'm sure they would. The only hotel I ever stayed at where they just sort of automatically took over and went ahead and unpacked for me was The Oriental. Personally, I don't think I'd ask for unpacking -- it's a little too much servitutude for me (lefty liberal that I am.) But that's just me.

As I recall, there is a little card in your room and you check off the liquor and lixes you'd like. They offer two bottles of booze per cabin. They don't list Chivas Regal (which is what I drink) but I simply ask and they bring it happily.

On the last trip, the fifth anniversary around Britian, we had a particularly helpful butler. He offered to unpack, but I declined. I am so use to doing it myself I have a pretty efficient way. I usually unfold and hang my shirts the day before I am going to use them, rather than all at once.

I also like to know where every thing is, and with two of us sharing a dressing room, the space runs out quickly. NYMike with your sister, I suspect you are going to have that challenge too.

I do ask them to press the tuxes the first day, so I get them back by the following, first formal night. They have been extreemly helpful in that respect.

As for packing, I need to do that as well. I know how to get everything into the bags in the most efficient way.

By the way, if you want to expand on the bar, you can also ask for additional bottles at your expense. I like to have a well stocked bar for my guests.

Three weeks from Saturday.

Mike

Robert and Jim, in your honor, and because its almost 5 p.m. The cocktail lamp will be lit shortly. I have also prepared boiled chilled colossal shrimp for the occasion. The first cocktail will have your names on it.

I hope all is well.

Mike.

Thanks Big Mike, looks like we'll hear something on Sunday or Monday. Tons of rumors swirling around the air, i think its best just to wait to hear what happens than live in agony for the next few days. My VP is pretty confident that this won't affect this trip. At some point i don't know why we try to travel around Memorial Day, there always seems to be some airline crisis at this time of the year (2 years ago it wasn't certain that we would be going on our planned trip to Bali, but it worked out in the end).

Cheers, Jim

Thanks Big Mike, looks like we'll hear something on Sunday or Monday. Tons of rumors swirling around the air, i think its best just to wait to hear what happens than live in agony for the next few days. My VP is pretty confident that this won't affect this trip. At some point i don't know why we try to travel around Memorial Day, there always seems to be some airline crisis at this time of the year (2 years ago it wasn't certain that we would be going on our planned trip to Bali, but it worked out in the end).

Cheers, Jim

You all will have to listen to me recite my 101 Reasons Why I Do Not Want to Move to Chicago. :( Or perhaps the sequel? 101 Reasons Why I want to Stay in Houston. :)

Cheers, "You don't have to shovel sunshine," Rob't.

We've discovered that we've been "upgraded" to a Q5 - room 9054. Thoughts on this? A little concerned about the lifeboats obstructing the view as Mike pointed out earlier, but also seeing that they want $4200 for a Q4 and $6400 for a Q5 when waitlisting. Being port side, I guess I wont have to worry about getting sunburned on the balcony, or will I?

Robert is thinking that this is somewhat equivalent to being moved in Business First to the last row, with a screaming baby in the first row of coach.

I think the suite you have been "upgraded" into is quite nice. Its amidship close to the concierge lounge, Where the Lovely Girlie Muega, the concierge, can help you with any needs, There are also coffee, juice and sweet rolls available in the morning, so you don't have to go to 7 deck to pick them up.

Your above the life boats which are on 8 deck so you will have an excellent ocean view. As for your tan, the Queens Terrace on 11 aft will offer you wonderful sun on sunny days. However, having said that from the looks of the web cam pix, there is little sun this time of year, so no burning. It should be a very pleasant place to sit of an afternoon to read or just relax.

Your also about a hundred yards closer to the comodore club for the daily fods gathering. So all in all, I think its a winner.

Mike

Archived