Carribbean or bahamas

mrandmrscruiser

Actually we are both correct. From wiki: "It is located in the Atlantic Ocean north of Cuba, Hispaniola (Dominican Republic and Haiti) and the Caribbean Sea, northwest of the Turks and Caicos Islands, and southeast of the United States of America (nearest to the state of Florida)."

You are miss reading it. It is north of the Caribbean Sea

Actually we are both correct. From wiki: "It is located in the Atlantic Ocean north of Cuba, Hispaniola (Dominican Republic and Haiti) and the Caribbean Sea, northwest of the Turks and Caicos Islands, and southeast of the United States of America (nearest to the state of Florida)."

"North of the Caribbean Sea" is not "IN the Caribbean Sea".

The Windward and Leeward Islands roughly form the border between the Caribbean and the Atlantic.

DH and I are wanting to go on our first cruise and are wondering which one is the best destination for first timers? Carribbean or Bahamas? I would guess that the carribbean would be smoother seas more likely because your in the gulf?? Im sure that it can be rough but more likely not to since your in the gulf??

I would say do a 7-Day Western Caribbean for your first time, if it's in the budget. My wife and I went there for our honeymoon and it was fantastic. We stopped at Grand Cayman (Cayman Island), Belize City (Belize), Roatan (Hondurus) and Cozumel (Mexico). I feel like we good a little bit of everything on that trip from ATVs, to airboats, to snorkeling, to sailing, to Mayan ruins to great food and shopping.

My wife and I are doing a cruise to the Bahamas for our 1 year anniversary, though.

Oh and don't worry about the weather. We had rough seas coming back from Cozumel (approaching hurricane) and while it looked ominous, you really didn't feel it inside the ship.

Is this a good cruise??

Never been to the Caymans but have heard lots of good things. We love Cozumel. Been there several times and are heading there a week from today on the Ecstacy. It's a fun town. Shopping is good, there are some really nice beaches, fun bars and other activities.

The water is so incredibly beautiful. The first time I saw it, I fell in love.

Is this a good cruise??

It is a western, and I don't care for Cozumel, but a lot of people will tell you that it is a good first cruise. I much prefer the eastern Caribbean. I am not impressed by anything on a western cruise except Roatan.

I would choose just about any destination over the Bahamas. The cruiseline's private islands are beautiful, but not a lot to do there. I find the rest of the Bahamas dirty with very pushy people. I took a land vacation there and could not wait to go home. I have been back on a few weekend cruises. I would never have chose this itinerary, but they were all theme cruises so I didn't gave a choice.

I would choose eastern for my first cruise, gorgeous beaches.

We did the Southern Caribbean route for our first cruise and absolutely LOVED it. We haven't been anywhere after our visit there that has measured up, hence why we are heading back again! :)

We did a Western (Cozumel and Grand Cayman) after that. You will find plenty to do and they are beautiful islands, but they seemed to lack that "magic" that the Southern islands hold for us. I have yet to build up a desire to go to the Bahamas though.

Maybe we should have held off on the Southern route and experienced the Eastern/Western first! :D

Wow so many negative comments about Nassau? We loved Nassau! So old and colonial. We had a beach break and then a shopping break. We loved our trip. However we leave in just over a month for the Caribbean and it sounds like we will love it! We did Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay and Nassau and had a fantastic time. So good, in fact, that we are going to surprise our kids at Christmas with the same cruise. ( once we find a good deal)

Well, the OP should have enough info to confuse them. My 2 cents worth is to pick somewhere easy to fly into, then pick a ship either 3, 4, or 7 day just to go somewhere. Something in your budget can be found.

Assuming you drive you can save some $$$'s, but it can be costly to park at port parking. Some hotels near ports have parking available IF you spend one night at the hotel and then will carry you to the port.

Don't worry about the weather, the larger ships that you pick will have some movement, but as long as you are at a lower deck midship, you'll be OK.

Thanks for all the info. I HATE to fly so we will be driving to wherever to board. We are in Indiana but the good thing is we have family in Alabama and Florida so we can cut the driving in half and do some visiting too.

The reason I didnt want to do a 7 day is because

1) i get motion sick and I dont know if I will get it on a ship. I am aware that it might not affect me at all and I am going to take meds but just in case It would be bad I dont want to be at sea 7 days sick.

and 2) Our daughter will be 2 when we go and I again dont know how she will be at sea, how the motion will affect her or anything so I dont want to be stuck if its aweful.

So a 4 or 5 night is probably what we will do for the first time.

Thanks again!! Appreciate all the input. We are thinking about Alaska for our 5th anniversary in 2-1/2 years also. . We both want to see Alaska so bad!

Archived