Carribbean or bahamas

mrandmrscruiser

DH and I are wanting to go on our first cruise and are wondering which one is the best destination for first timers? Carribbean or Bahamas? I would guess that the carribbean would be smoother seas more likely because your in the gulf?? Im sure that it can be rough but more likely not to since your in the gulf??

DH and I are wanting to go on our first cruise and are wondering which one is the best destination for first timers? Carribbean or Bahamas? I would guess that the carribbean would be smoother seas more likely because your in the gulf?? Im sure that it can be rough but more likely not to since your in the gulf??

Seas really aren't the issue because depending on the time of year (hurricane season) and daily weather, you can run into a storm anywhere.

The issue is the destination. The Bahamas are so-so as destinations go. Tons of ships stop at Nassau and it is just not that great a port. And Freeport isn't any better.

Now the Carribean is a whole different story - you can go east or west (I prefer west because is has such an exoctic feel and I love the mayan history). The islands for the most part are beautiful. I would not pick Jamaica as a port for a 1st cruise though; while it is a BEAUTIFUL island, it can be very rough.

by far my first choice would be the western carribbean all the islands are wonderfull

Western Caribbean is the best for first time cruisers. Lots to do at almost all of the ports.

Do stingray city in grand cayman, dunn's river falls/river tubing in Jamaica, and a nice beach break in cozumel...you will be hooked to cruising for life!

Eastern Caribbean is the best for first time cruisers. Lots of variety at all the stops, wonderful beaches, great shopping lots of history. Much more interesting than the western route. Second choice would be Bahamas and third is western Caribbean.

I have done both. Western Caribbean for my first cruise (and my 3rd, 4th, and now 5th) and Bahamas for my second cruise. I enjoy both. However, when going to the Bahamas, we didn't book excursions through Carnival, we just ventured out on our own. Maybe this is why we liked it so well.

If you sail Western Caribbean out of a Gulf Port (like New Orleans or Mobile), I have noticed that the night after you leave Cozumel, the seas are pretty rough. (I have heard that this is because you are sailing through the Yucatan Peninsula and there is a strong undertow). That might have just been a rumor, but I did experience this on board the Sensation and the Holiday.

Everything is relative: First time to Nassau it was kind of interesting, but nothing to write home about. The second time to Nassau, with my DH, well, it was wonderful. We had a wonderful mid-day snack at a yummy greek restrauant on the main drag while waiting for my 2.2 carat diamond ring to be sized!!:D

Everything is relative: First time to Nassau it was kind of interesting, but nothing to write home about. The second time to Nassau, with my DH, well, it was wonderful. We had a wonderful mid-day snack at a yummy greek restrauant on the main drag while waiting for my 2.2 carat diamond ring to be sized!!:D

You must have been blinded by the light from that rock!;)

That's right---Bahamas is the Atlantic!

And it really doesn't make much difference, as far as "roughness" goes...it can be rough in lakes!!!! (think of all the ship's that have sunk in the Great Lakes!!!). It can be rough or calm anywhere, at any time.....

But, the Caribbean is gorgeous and that's my choice....E. Carib...to be exact! Beautiful!

My very first cruise was a three day to Nassau Bahamas. I really enjoyed myself and had a great time.

My 2004,2005,and 2006 cruises were Western Caribbean. Like many of the other stated, I feel that this is the best option on things to do for a first time cruiser.

You have beaches,shopping,historical locations,natural wonders,etc. These are also ports where you can do alot of these things without going on ship tours.

You have the option on going on short 4 days to 8 days on Eastern and Western Caribbean. On the Southern Caribbean cruises, you can take up to 20 days.

But either way you will have a great time!!!

Not so fast. The Bahamas is in the North Atlantic Ocean, not the Caribbean Sea.

Actually we are both correct. From wiki: "It is located in the Atlantic Ocean north of Cuba, Hispaniola (Dominican Republic and Haiti) and the Caribbean Sea, northwest of the Turks and Caicos Islands, and southeast of the United States of America (nearest to the state of Florida)."

Actually we are both correct. From wiki: "It is located in the Atlantic Ocean north of Cuba, Hispaniola (Dominican Republic and Haiti) and the Caribbean Sea, northwest of the Turks and Caicos Islands, and southeast of the United States of America (nearest to the state of Florida)."

Specifically Nassau/New Providence Island and Paradise Island are located in the Atlantic, not the Caribbean.

Anyway...been going to Paradise Island since the 80s. It's gone downhill IMO (I dislike the Atlantis.) The city of Nassau isn't the best port city. Not terrible, but not the best. The waters tend to stay cooler because no matter how you slice it (Caribbean or Atlantic) it is much further north than other islands. Personally, I'd go with Caribbean.

The Bahamas is in the caribbean sea, so if you go to the bahamas you are in the caribbean. But the bahamas itself is nice outside the towns, otherwise we think that its kinda dirty. the rest of the islands are much better.

When did they move?

Last time I looked they were in the Atlantic Ocean.

Archived