Taking alcohol on the QM2

eratog2

My friends have asked me to ask the question, that if we buy any duty free on our flight from Heathrow to New York, will we be allowed to take it on board? It will be in our hand luggage, so clearly visible. I know some cruise lines confiscate any alcohol until disembarkation. Is this the case with Cunard?

My friends have asked me to ask the question, that if we buy any duty free on our flight from Heathrow to New York, will we be allowed to take it on board? It will be in our hand luggage, so clearly visible. I know some cruise lines confiscate any alcohol until disembarkation. Is this the case with Cunard?

You are permitted to take one bottle of wine per person.

This clearly includes champagne, as well as other inferior sparkling wines.

That is the published guidance.

You will have no problem taking on board a couple of bottles of alcohol. We have done this several times (albeit at Southampton and not NY), and have never been questioned or stopped by anyone.

I believe that the official quantity allowed by Cunard is one bottle per person, but I have never seen anyone stopped or questioned when boarding with alcohol. Now, if you were to try to take 25 cases of Pure Malt Whiskey on board with you - well, that would be a different matter!

Hope that this helps.

Regards,

David

Thanks for your help. No, we won't be taking 25 cases of malt ;), maybe a couple of bottles of champagne, and a couple of bottles of brandy between the four of us, so we should be OK.

You'll probably be fine - yes - but bear in mind that you're actually not following the guidance.

You can buy brandy on board, for immediate consumption and by the bottle, via your steward.

You'll probably be fine - yes - but bear in mind that you're actually not following the guidance.

You can buy brandy on board, for immediate consumption and by the bottle, via your steward.

...or if you're in QG, you'll get 2 litres of anything free, and they replace it when nearly finished.

Stewart

Do you mean that the guidance is wine and not spirits? You can buy wine or champagne on board too for immediate consumption so I am confused by your explanation- sorry.

Do you mean that the guidance is wine and not spirits? You can buy wine or champagne on board too for immediate consumption so I am confused by your explanation- sorry.

Yes. The guidance is for wine. According to the rules you may not bring spirits on board.

If you are boarding at Southampton it is unlikely that they will do anything unless you a really taking the mickey.

My husband and I actually took a bottle of vodka and a couple of bottles of wine on with us the last time we were on - there was no problem with that. On various shore excursions we also brought wine and champagne and again never any problems taking it on board.

As noted above, i'm pretty sure Cunard are fine with taking on drink - as long as you're not taking in boxes full. Also, if you take a nice bottle of champagne into the restuarant with you they will charge you a small fee of $15 for corkage.

• 1 month later...

Can you please confirm that there's no need to bring any alcohol on board if one will be in Queen's Grill accomodation? They don't charge to replenish the alcohol they provide in your room?

You should have no problem taking the duty free purchase aboard. On my last cruise around the UK, I bought a bottle of Irish Whiskey at the Jamesons Distillary and brought it back aboard. It went through the security screening on board, and no one said a word.

Cheers Mike

Mboen, That is correct. You start out with two bottles of your choice from a some what limited list, but if you don't see what you want, ask for it. It will replaced when you consume it, however, if your going through two bottles per day, they may find they have a limit.

Having said that, When I have had a large gathering in the suite for a cocktail party, I have purchased bottles of vodka, and gin, red and white wine, and offered my personal scotch for guests.

The butler in my last suite kept asking if I needed more scotch, but in 8 days, I could not even finish two bottles. After all, you want to take a cocktail before or after dinner in the Queens Grill Lounge, and perhaps an afternoon tip in the Comodore Club. So running out was never a problem.

Archived