Crown Grill on CB any good?

ho

We will be sailing on the CB for the third time in May but have not been on her in over 2 years. I understand she has had some renovations since our last sailing and was wondering about the Crown Grill. Is it any good? The last time we tried it was called Sterling's, I believe and it was only fair at best. The wife wanted a steak cooked rare and sent it back twice, they then told her she should not eat her steak that way as it was not healthy. I like mine medium and it had very little taste, kind of tasted like something you would get at a chain restaurant. I have found all of Princess specialty restaurants lack quality on the ships we have been on ( Island, Grand and CB) I am hoping the Crown Grill may be a step up.

Do they offer seafood? Any quality oysters? How much is the cover charge now?

Thanks

Crown Grill seems to be a hit or miss lately on the ships that have it. Some report the quality of beef is not that great. The cost is $25.00pp with an additional $9.00 for lobster. Here is the menu. Enjoy your cruise!

APPETIZERS:

Black Tiger Prawn and Papaya Salpicon, Mustard Seed Aioli, Anna Potato Salad

Carpaccio of Pine Nut Coated lamb Loin, gooseberry Chutney, Minted Pear Spaghettini

Cherrystone Clam Bake, Baby corn, Red Bliss Potatoes, Pearl Onions, sugared Tomatoes

Mediterreanean Style Spiny Lobster Cake, Tarragon Foam, Cured Olives, Grilled Asparagus

North Pacific Sea Scallop and Pan Seared Foie Gras, Baby Bok Choy, Green Apple and Fennel Slaw

SOUPS AND SALADS:

Shrimp and Pancetta Bisque

Black and Blue Onion Soup

Rockfish and Sweet Potato Chowder

The Grill Salad, Grape Balsamic Dressing

Marinated Goat's Chees and Heirloom Tomato Salad

SEAFOOD:

Prince Edward Mussel Pot

Vongole (clams and sausage)

Potpourri of Seafood Stew (lobster, crab, red snapper, mollusks)

Wild Black Stioped Bass and Brioche Breaded King Prawns

Pan Roasted Barramundi Papillote

Grilled tiger Prawns in Whiskey, Chili and Garlic Marinade

4 oz Maine Lobster Tails

CHOPS:

Sterling Silver Beef Chop

Maderia Glazed Wisconsin Veal Chop

New Zealand Lamb Rack

Sterling Silver Pork Chop (double thick)

Porterhuse (22 oz)

STEAKS:

New York Strip, 12oz

Kansas City Strip, 16oz

Rib Eye, 14oz

Filet Mignon, 8oz

Potato and Vegetable Choices:

Loaded Baked Potato

Garlic and Herb French Fries

Red Skin Mashed Potatoes

Crown Grill Scalloped Potatoes

Grilled Asparagus

Creamed Spinach

Corn Casserole

Sauteed Wild Mushrooms

DESSERTS:

Molten Dutch Chocolate Fudge Obsession (w double chocolate ice cream)

Wild Berry and Apple Cobbler (w vanilla cider ice cream)

Lemon Meringue Pudding Tart (w macadamia nut shortbread)

Seven Layer S'mores Stack

Caramel Cheesecake Parfait

The Crown Dependence (sampling of featured desserts! :-)

*LOBSTER ADDENDUM:

A $9 surcharge applies to each of these 2 lobster dishes in addition to the $25 cover charge, resulting in a total charge of $34 per person. This includes as many dishes and courses as your heart and palate desires off the regular menu.

Whole Mane Lobster, 1 and a half - 2 pounds (kettle steamed or split and grilled with lemon butter)

Australian Lobster Tail, 12oz (broiled with pepper butter or split and grilled with garlic.

Thanks Roe2ship,

It does not sound like Princess has improved on the quality of the meat. The seafood sounds interesting, as I recall they do a better job or have a higher quality of seafood. Does not sound as if it's worth the $25.00 per person up charge. It's a shame if they are going to charge an additional $50.00 per couple you would think they could provide a decent steak. Thanks again for the menu.

We will be sailing on the CB for the third time in May but have not been on her in over 2 years. I understand she has had some renovations since our last sailing and was wondering about the Crown Grill. Is it any good? The last time we tried it was called Sterling's, I believe and it was only fair at best. The wife wanted a steak cooked rare and sent it back twice, they then told her she should not eat her steak that way as it was not healthy. I like mine medium and it had very little taste, kind of tasted like something you would get at a chain restaurant. I have found all of Princess specialty restaurants lack quality on the ships we have been on ( Island, Grand and CB) I am hoping the Crown Grill may be a step up.

Do they offer seafood? Any quality oysters? How much is the cover charge now?

Thanks

Crown Grill is nowhere close to Sterlings.

We ate there on the CB and it was excellent.

The addition of this new space is beautiful with the dark woods.

We have partaked the Crown Grill on the Ruby/Emerald/Crown/Golden/CB and have not had a bad meal in any of them.

We love it.

We've eaten 4-5 times in the Crown Grill on the Emerald and Crownand have always thoroughly enjoyed the steak dishes.

Way better than the Sterlings that we have tried in the past.(Star Princess)

I would go to a Crown Grill for $25 pp long before I would go to Ruth Chris' (salty) and $$$$$$$

Just my opinion.

Mike

Wow, very high praise indeed. I certainly don't mind spending $50.00 for a quality steak but I have yet to find one on Princess. I just assumed the poor quality steaks I had in the past was due to where Princess purchased their beef. Keep in mind Princess is my favorite cruise line in all areas other then food.

The best specialty restaurant I have found was the Cajun one on the Island Princess, loved the oysters and made that my main meal 3 or the 7 nights. Based on the recommendations here, I will try the Crown Grill.

Thanks

I've only been once but I liked it. I'm in NYC and am familiar with the top-notch steakhouses here...this was not that caliber but was quite good nonetheless. The appetizers were very good (pic of spiny lobster cake attached...yes, I'm that person that likes to take pictures of the food...) as was the steak (I like it rare and they delivered it rare) and the desert was FANTASTIC (the molten chocolate calorie bomb). We liked the ambiance as well and found that the staff was very attentive and friendly. They even offered to give my bf 2 entrees as he couldn't decide...they had the second one delivered to our cabin where it was placed in the fridge (granted, it was cold then...but they told us the plan ahead of time and we both like cold steak as a snack!).

lobstercake.jpg.d5371893d896355e494c2ef8425fa012.jpg

Went to the Crown Grill on the CB last week. The Porterhouse (22oz) was very good and the wife's Filet Mignon was outstanding. I'm not a seafood eater and the wife is allergic so we missed out on the seafood portion of the menu which hampered our dining experience. If you are seafood fans I think the 25 bucks is worth it as you feast the entire meal. If you just eat the steak and settle for the other appetizers than the 25 dollars is all going to the upgrade in meat that you wouldn't get in the dining room.

Archived