Almost live heading through Panama Canal

capnpugwash

Jim,

The Ocean Dream was orginally built in 1982 as the first new build for Carnival Corp. She was the Tropicale, later Costa Tropical, then P&O Australia's Pacific Dream and now Pullmantur since 2008.

Thanks for all of the updates--they are, as is usual from you, informative and witty and much appreciated by all.

Here's an interesting historical tidbit about the Ocean Dream taken from Wikipedia:

In June 2009, an outbreak of swine flu occurred about the Ocean Dream during a cruise around Central and South America. The ship docked in Margarita, Venezuela to allow its Venezuelan passengers to disembark, before heading to Aruba, where the remaining passengers were able to leave the ship. An earlier report had suggested that the ship had been placed in quarantine; however, the ship's owners Pullmantur later denied that this was the case.

I believe that Bonaire is a wealthy island; if that is so they manage to disguise it pretty well. To be fair I stayed close to the port area which was quite attractive with the clearest of water and kids frolicking in it in the sunshine. The buildings are all low rise having a maximum of three floors and the vast majority are single storey bungalows with strangely coloured roofs. On first glance it all looks dusty and rather like the squatter camp Kyleshia outside Cape Town airport. I am sure this is harsh but that was the impression that I took. Had I been diving at one of the myriad dive sites on the island it would be a different picture in my mind. Someone commented that the expected annual rainfall was 22 inches and they haven’t had that for a couple of years. Other than that there is only one spring in the centre of the island with the remaining water being supplied by desalination plants. That could explain the dust, I think.

The weather was marvellous and because we were in port, the pool was empty so I had a very pleasant day. We played some cards this afternoon and otherwise relaxed as one does on holiday. Tonight after a quiet sail away we are heading to Curacao and I feel a little wanderlust coming over me so we will explore what this tropical paradise has to offer.

Last night after the quiz, a couple who I recognized came up to me, they were a lovely couple called Lyn and Bill and we had met them as table mates on a Caribbean Christmas cruise on Oriana in 2007. Isn’t it fantastic the people that you meet. I remembered that she worked in the Health Service at a hospital and really hated how all things were being changed in the name of progress and to save money, and she wished she could just up and retire. She is on the pre retirement celebration cruise as she finishes work on March 14 2010. Good luck and long life to them both.

When this cruise was advertised we were due at Aruba today, which has subsequently been cancelled due to “too many other ships in port”. I am somewhat sceptical of this but had accepted Curacao as a replacement, yesterday afternoon the Captain announces that despite serious negotiations between him and the Port Authority we will have to sail this afternoon no later than 2pm. So it is now basically a half day stop. People are furious naturally, as furious people often are, others accept the situation with a shrug. What makes it worthy of mention is that the excuse being given is that there are too many port movements. Something is wrong here I think. It won’t alter our trip plan for this morning so I am not too bothered.

It is just after 6am and during the night at 3am we woke baking hot as the Air Conditioning had gone off, it was over 80 degrees so sleeping was very unpleasant. I mad it until about 5am and then had to get up. There is no relief outside as we have been stationary outside Curacao port for three hours because of the proximity of the two islands, travelling time is very little. I have just opened the cabin door to the corridor and a steady, cooling draught is flowing through the balcony door. I imagine that we are not helping the overall air conditioning by doing this but it feels great.

The Pilot has just boarded and we are now underway to the port, still at a snail’s pace but the breeze is welcome. The sun is up and the sky is very lightly cloud covered which should disappear almost instantaneous so we seem set for another sunny day. Sorry to all who are suffering in the winter.

We are in the river which seems to contain the port and we have reached what I shall call Ikea Bridge which is high enough for us to pass beneath and painted in yellow and blue. The houses on the shore are all brightly painted in pastel colours and they really make the town look cheerful, Bonaire could learn from them.

Apparently there is an AC problem which the engineers are trying to fix; we shall pray that they survive. It is very humid and the smallest movement provokes perspiration.

Another interesting blog Cap'n, keep it up you are extending my holiday. So last week the toilet system this week the air con, is Oceana falling apart. I think not but these things can be trying. Regarding the itinery changes, I am always amused that many passengers put these things down to a P&O conspiracy, to save port fees more often than not. In the interest of balance, when we called at Curacao 3 weeks ago Captain Reid allowed us an extra hour in port to enable those inclined to attend the street carnival. Talking of Captain Reid I don't believe you have mentioned him yet, is he keeping a low profile, because he didn't on E003, have you been promised a 'scorcher' yet.

We are just back from E003, our first cruise. We noticed that during the night, 3/4am the cabin would be stuffy and the air con off. Talking to an experienced cruiser/moaner later in the cruise he remarked that during the night they turn the air con off to save money.

We were on A deck and several mornings when we left the cabin and walked down the corridor towels were spread across the floor to mop up water followed later in the day with dryers going. We mentioned it to our cabin steward who replied people had been putting things down the tiolets they shouldn't have. Once I could believe, three or four times, no, something wrong with the plumbing.

We were on freedom dining and found the level of service differed according to where in the dining room you sat. Again experienced cruiser/moaner said it was because they already had their tips.

We thoroughly enjoyed our first cruise on the Oceana, met some lovely people and will go again.

We are just back from E003, our first cruise. We noticed that during the night, 3/4am the cabin would be stuffy and the air con off. Talking to an experienced cruiser/moaner later in the cruise he remarked that during the night they turn the air con off to save money.

We were on A deck and several mornings when we left the cabin and walked down the corridor towels were spread across the floor to mop up water followed later in the day with dryers going. We mentioned it to our cabin steward who replied people had been putting things down the tiolets they shouldn't have. Once I could believe, three or four times, no, something wrong with the plumbing.

We were on freedom dining and found the level of service differed according to where in the dining room you sat. Again experienced cruiser/moaner said it was because they already had their tips.

We thoroughly enjoyed our first cruise on the Oceana, met some lovely people and will go again.

How refreshing that you managed to identify the experienced moaner on your first cruise. Glad they haven't put you off!

(Hamish is on form and very visible and we have had several scorchers. They don't turn the AC off at night that is a cruise myth.)

Apparently there is an AC problem which the engineers are trying to fix; we shall pray that they succeed. It is very humid and the smallest movement provokes perspiration.

It is more serious than we thought. One of the tanks which hold water started to leak for some reason which adversely affected the electrics on the AC so we had diving welders on board all day to repair the seam. We moored right up by this road bridge just before the Oil Refinery, apparently so we could stay indefinitely if they couldn’t fix the problem that the leak had caused. The temperature today was mid 80’s which normally is about my tolerance limit, today the temperature in the ship was a little over 100 degrees, it was stifling. We were very hot but ok as we spent the day between the pool and a shady area on deck 12 but the staff had to work. In the kitchens they were working a 20 minute rotation as the staff was suffering so much. The Captain credited every passenger with £20 to pay for lunch if we wanted to leave the hot ship and go ashore to eat.

He extended our stay this afternoon to all aboard at 11.30pm tonight and has allowed a further £25 each if we purchase dinner ashore and produce a receipt. Pretty good I thought.

At 5 pm there was an unofficial announcement that the AC is back on but the official news has still to come. I am typing this in the cool of our cabin at this moment at 5.50pm.

As we were so hot we decided not to venture ashore and those that did returned like limp rags, wringing wet.

One of the “of the Seas” ships berthed after us this morning and at 2pm (when we were due to leave) the Zuiderdam of HAL arrived and is moored opposite us in the river.

We had all made contingency plans as to sleeping tonight assuming that the problem would not be fixed, there was quite a blitz spirit and many would be sleeping poolside on Deck 12 with their own pillows but under the stars on sun beds, cooling off if necessary with a quick dip. I am quite sorry in some ways not to be doing it.

This morning at about 10.30 the pool was cool as ice and crystal clear, I had a final dip about 5pm and it was murky and warm as bath water, probably sun cream and other stuff best not thought about. Hopefully they will sort it out overnight.

We will try the restaurant tonight as it should have cooled down by then; otherwise I had persuaded Mrs P to go to the Indian buffet in the Plaza on Deck 14 which we could eat Al Fresco on deck. Damn those engineers.

Tomorrow is a sea day as we rush to the Atlantic entrance of the Panama Canal, all very exciting stuff.

Glad the a/c was finally fixed! It makes the experience easier to deal with when the ship reimbursed you for your meals ashore.

Your sadness at not sleeping by the pool reminds of the times the electricity would go out as a child - getting the candles out and enjoying the excitement of it all. No sooner do you get into the moment then the lights go back on!

We woke this morning at 8.15am which shows how the lack of sleep yesterday catches up and we find a absolutely flat calm oily sea without any waves, just the tiniest of wind raised ripples, they look about three eighths of an inch tall and cover the surface as far as I can see. This is not far as we have quite a dense fog which has descended overnight, about 50 yards I would guess but the sky is getting lighter as I write so it is going to clear.

There were some consequences to our late departure, albeit it was only 6 hours after our original 6pm scheduled time. The Captain has delayed our Canal transit until Saturday rather than tomorrow as planned and additionally has cancelled Huatulco as a visit where we had tickets for a tour. I have no idea why he would do this as I am sure there was plenty of time today and overnight to put the pedal to the metal and race to Panama. He may think that to do so might stress the systems of the ship. I imagine that we will be due some compensation for this cancelled stop.

We are cruising at 18 knots according to the TV navigation system and the wind is a mere Force 2. Very languid way to travel.

The morning passed with thin cloud cover but the temperature got up to 85 degrees. I didn’t have a swim as I had some work to do but I got to the Bar and had a couple of Moscow Mules which were very drinkable, skipped lunch as the curry which I quite fancied was vegetable, which I don’t mind but I do prefer mutton or chicken. I really didn’t want too much anyway. This afternoon there is a comedy “radio play” on in the theatre which is supposed to be very funny and it is performed by the entertainment officers, I will give that a try for a change.

The Captain and Tour Staff have been working hard, they say, to arrange a stop tomorrow afternoon at Cristobal on the East entrance to the Canal. We get there in time for 1.30pm tours tomorrow. Forgive my scepticism but I am convinced that we are only there a, to be able to say that we haven’t lost a scheduled stop, merely changed the itinerary which is covered under the terms and conditions of booking and b, to provide revenue to P&O from the tours, so hastily arranged. Part of the lecture on the canal was that the finest visitor centre on the canal was at Miraflores Lock, so we are going to Gatun Locks-which is nearer, there is a tour through to the other end of the canal but that doesn’t include any locks. Nothing exciting in the four tours apart from the cable tram through the roof canopy of the rainforest at a mere £66 each. Fortunately Mrs P has a problem with heights so that trip is a no-no.

The sea has remained flat calm all day and it feels more like a hotel than a ship, I miss a bit of movement from the water. I think on here, I may be in the minority. Having missed lunch we went to Afternoon Tea up in the buffet and it was quite crowded so we shared a table with this couple. The first thing was as I arrived and asked if we could join them on a round 6 seater table, the woman ignored me and the man merely grunted. Not a word was spoken but he was reading the daily activity guide. He said “there is an early piano, then another one, then there is a classical recital, there’s nowt on but bloody piano all evening”. We find the pianists are great because you can still talk while they are happy playing background music but maybe they are not his taste. There is also jackpot bingo on this afternoon where the prize increases daily if not won. They didn’t like the sound of that although neither had apparently played bingo before. Fortunately they left before we killed ourselves and we were left wondering what would please people like that. Ultimately we gave up because we couldn’t really care.

Last night was our second formal night, it does seem strange when 12 nights are casual, to get dressed up for four others. I am not advising heresy here but merely making the point. Of course being in the Caribbean there are a fair number of white/cream tuxedos being sported by guests. Someone always takes a yard when given an inch and for my money it was the man in the white suit and white shoes, sadly dark socks topped off with a black shirt and pink ready made bowtie. I thought I was attending a Masonic dinner at the Ice Cream salesmen’s lodge.

We gained an hour overnight and it is now 6.30am which yesterday was 7.30, apparently we lose one more hour as Acapulco is 6 hours behind the UK. Back to jetlag after the flight home again. That is the downside to Fly-Cruises as is the restricted luggage for the flight but the benefit is time saving rather than 6 days to and from Southampton, it is the same day, albeit 10 hours but that still saves days and days. I think that the relaxed dress code is also a bonus but I don’t want it to replace the formality of a Queen Mary 2 crossing to New York as I believe it would be totally inappropriate on her. So maybe we should accept that there are different types of cruises, rather like types of cheese and you now that Cheddar has a different flavour to Dolcelate and Lancashire.

The day has dawned with a sky that looks full of rain overhead but the horizon is clear and bright, we have a sea of about 5 or 6 feet and I think it will clear and be warm, like every other day. This is a good time of year to be away as in the UK the sun never really gets up and it is dark in the mornings and dark again by 5pm. March is better as the days draw out. Of course this good weather has a price attached to it during the hurricane season and I think I would rather have our climate and be hurricane free.

We just passed a container ship and I was reminded that we are supposed to bump into the Artemis sometime today, she is a lovely small ship and I am on her at Christmas for the Madeira fireworks. What a shock that mudslide was for that lovely island people, I suppose it could have been a lot worse. Anyway they have 10 months to sort it out and get the fireworks ready for New Year’s Eve.

The rain has just started and the clear skies have all gone in banks of cloud that look very threatening, hope that it stops soon although I understand that Panama is one of the wettest countries on Earth and we are only 75 miles away from it.

We are heading to Cristobal for 12.30 today and I am reliably informed that there is a great shopping centre in town, my idea of heaven. We are there overnight and will start our transit tomorrow morning at 5am so all passengers must be on board by 4am. I hope that some of the crew get a chance for a run ashore.

More later

I wear a black shirt with my cream/white D/J on B&W night but that's the only time,. & I wouldn't wear a white D/J at any other time outside the tropics.

Hope your new destination works out well, can't help thinking if it was that good they would have gone there in the first place!

Thank you so much for your latest post. I very much appreciate your commentary in that it makes your travelogue so much more interesting than others that oftentimes present a simple diary of events.

Reading today's post it seems rather quaint (and I enjoy quaintness) your discussion of sartorial proscriptions concerning white dinner jackets (WDJ). I myself abide by these rules and forever thank my parents for instilling in me a constant awareness of how one should appear in public.

I wonder how many men know, in this age when so few even own one neck tie, what a WDJ actually is let alone when one should and should not be worn. (For those ready to throw flames please understand I will be the first to admit there are lots of things I don't know or appreciate about the younger generation.)

I will be traveling with - and wearing proudly - my WDJ on our upcoming tropical cruise through the Panama Canal. (And yes, I will gladly pay luggage fees for the opportunity.) I also anticipate with relish our first Cunard experience (transatlantic on the QE in January 2011) on which I can assure you that I will don only a black tuxedo.

Archived