Almost live heading through Panama Canal

capnpugwash

We finally left the ship today at 3.10pm and were put onto buses for our journey to Acapulco Airport. It took just over 1 hour and when we arrived we walked straight through the busy terminal following a tour operator rep. We only just saw her and realised that we needed to follow her, there was no signage or clear instructions. We went around some corners and up some stairs. It was nicely air conditioned. We then went through the standard security arch and xray, it was standard except the trays that you put your stuff in were 10 yards away from the belt so you had to carry the tray and your bag to the machine. We were soon through there and into the departure area. Lots of dolls, lace and sombreros. Tequila to float the Oceana. Managed to ignore it all and sat down chatting. The flight was due out at 18.10 so about 40 minutes before that we walked down to the departure gates 1 to 10. Nice and small. No signs or announcements and no departure gate information. There was a crowd of British looking people going though one gate and we asked someone who was in the queue what the plane was, they said it was Thompson 017 to Gatwick so we followed the throng and boarded.

We had moved from 3A and B to 1D & E so we had the bulkhead seats. They were fine for me but Mrs P was in the dreaded centre seat so she had an uncomfortable time. We were 40 minutes late taking off as having signed all documents they somehow discovered that they had one extra bag on board. They found and offloaded it and we took off. The staff were charming and a G&T later I was asleep, no meal and I woke in descent to Sanford 2 and a half hours later. We had been compelled to complete ESTA forms for the US authorities but never stood on their soil so it all seems a bit manic to me. This is Orlando’s charter airport. We changed crew, serviced the loos and refuelled in one hour, very smooth and the jet way they used was no more than 100 yards from the runway which saved taxi time.

We had to refuel as we were in a 767, the Airbus that the Thomas Cook passengers took flew direct, which should be a consideration. We then had a further 8 hours to Gatwick. I slept for about 5 of them and only had Continental Breakfast. The food supplied inbound was much poorer than given to us on the way to Barbados. We landed at Gatwick spot on time and had to wait about 40 minutes for bags once the Carousel Number had been announced.

45 minutes later we were drinking tea at home sorting mail. Would we fly cruise again? Yes in a heartbeat but I would like to explore flying out and cruising back because I have spent too many years stuck in a business or first class seat on long haul travelling for work to want to ever do it in any class for pleasure. Acapulco Airport was a delight compared with the way we get treated flying out of Gatwick or Heathrow, and sadly that naivety is fast disappearing. So take me out there quickly and bring me back slowly. I have got 6 hours to reabsorb somehow over the next few days and I am not looking forward to it.

That is the end of this adventure and personally I cannot wait until the next. I just called my sister and she asked when I was off next and a slip of the tongue made me say, “not until March”, meaning May – but who knows.

Bye for now and I truly thank you for your support and kindness.

Your experiences via your imaginative and descriptive words has been so nice to read. We went on our first cruise last year and kept to ourselves most of the time. But after reading your blog, all at this sitting, we am very inclined to open up and learn about our fellow cruisers. We hope to meet you and your wife on a future cruise! Thank you very much for all the time and effort you put in on these blogs! Have a nice day!

Six more cruises for you to look forward to in 2010, and a countdown to the London Olympics in 2012. Life is good!

I look forward to coming across your entertaining blogs in the future.

Thanks once again for sharing your experiences.

and many thanks from here too, for letting us all join in your adventures, and will look forward May.

have to say , love your humour, the best bit for me was xmas cruise when you commented on the dentures. :D Fantastic, i have relayed that story to so many now.

thanks again.

Welcome back Jim. I enjoyed the reports. I liked Oceana a lot, in fact she was where I met Joyce and Ann (as on our QE2 table). Not too long till the next one I see.

Archived