Another Eze question.

see you soon

We will be in Monaco in early May. Times are crazy. The ship is in at 6:00 and out at 2:00. There isn't time for Nice but could do a short visit to Eze if there was a suitable bus. I have looked at the Lignes D'azur schedule for #112 bus. My problem is the schedule does not mention Monaco as it previously did. It now mentions Beausoleil. Does this mean this bus is no longer a viable option? If that is the case what would be an option given our limited time? We have been to Monaco before and don't really have anything we want to do there.

I know you guys are talking about the bus but have you taken the train? We have a little longer, we have 10am to 8pm and I was looking into taking the train from Cannes to Monaco than to Eze and back to Cannes. It seems so doable but this is my first time on a Cruise and to Europe so I am looking for guidance. Thanks!!

There is no train that goes to Eze. The nearest train station is called Eze/Bord sur Mer which is located along the coast below the hilltop village of Eze. If you take the train (it is the same line that goes between Monte Carlo and Cannes) you can usually catch a local bus from the Eze train station up to the village. The problem is this bus does not always have a schedule which runs in conjunction with the trains which can leave you standing at the train station for a long time. In that case, it is often wise to call a taxi for the last few miles.

Hank

Thank you Hank...I did read somewhere on these boards that a taxi or bus would be required to get to the Village of Eze from the train station. Is this an easy way to go for novices who barely speak the language or should we be less daring? I guess I am asking if the trains are user friendly for novices.

Thank you Hank...I did read somewhere on these boards that a taxi or bus would be required to get to the Village of Eze from the train station. Is this an easy way to go for novices who barely speak the language or should we be less daring? I guess I am asking if the trains are user friendly for novices.

I'd just take a taxi and skip the train. Or at least do the research to check and make sure that the cost savings is really significant enough to justify the time commitment and effort to take the train.

Unfortunately I can't remember the cost of our taxi to Eze a few years ago but it didn't seem all that much more expensive than the train considering we'd teamed up with another couple to explore.

Regarding taxis, there are not a lot of taxis in the south of France (unlike in Italy) and the taxis are very expensive for anything but a short local trip. If you take a train to the Eze/Bord sur Mer station (a very tiny station) there will probably not be any taxis. The bus stop is right in front of the station and has the schedule posted for the bus that goes up to the village. If you do want a taxi, there is a small cafe across the road where you can ask them to call a taxi (its nice to spend a few Euros on a cup of coffee if you ask them to get you a taxi). We do not know the exact fare for a taxi from the station to the village but would suspect its approximately 12 - 15 Euros. As to the train, the train line spans the entire coast and its similar to a commuter train (they even have a bike rack). You simply buy your ticket at the train station (or on-board if there is no way to get a ticket at the station) and validate the train ticket by inserting it in the time-date stamp machine located on or near the platform (this is the standard practice throughout Europe). They do announce the station names and you can also read the station names as you come into a station. The trains are very tourist friendly and you will also find that other passengers will be helpful if you ask for help (many folks do speak some English). We also like using the regional buses since they are much cheaper than the trains..and you see more from a bus.

Hank

Thank you guys so much!! You have been so helpful I wish I could stick you in my pocket and take you all along...now I have 6 more ports to figure out, oh the fun, I love the planning it gets me so excited for the adventure!!

Most people in Monaco and probably half of the people on the Cote d'Azur don't speak French either :D

Regarding the so-called language barrier we have a standard answer when friends ask us how we manage in Europe (and Asia) without speaking the language. Our response is that we have indeed run into language barriers in our travels and it has occurred in Miami and London! Regarding London, the problem is that we have found ourselves in places where folks only spoke Arabic. As to Miami, I will leave that to your imagination. :)

Hank

Exactly, I speak more spanish in Miami than here in Cancun

Thanks for the advise as usual HANK!! I look forward to leaving this reality for these amazing places

People dont worry, I took French for 10 years...you need only few words for a comfortable time

The village of Eze is beautiful although lots of climbing. We did a half day tour with Catherine from Prestige Tours. She took us to the village of Eze, Nice and Monaco for a very reasonable price of 250euro for 6 of us. I know that is a bit more pricey than bus, cab or train, but we had the piece of mind knowing we had limited time and she was very knowledgable and knew all the little areas of interest. We had her from 11am to 4pm...so I am sure she could accomodate your schedule quite nicely. Just a thought...

• 1 year later...

One more question ,if we can we want to use the bus to get to Eze, but if we do that will the taxi driver take us back to Villefranche so that is just one way ?

I thought I would have had all this sorted by now and I could forget taking the tour cruise but if this does not work out then I may be forced down this route .

Cheers

Scotslizzy

One more question ,if we can we want to use the bus to get to Eze, but if we do that will the taxi driver take us back to Villefranche so that is just one way ?

I thought I would have had all this sorted by now and I could forget taking the tour cruise but if this does not work out then I may be forced down this route .

Cheers

Scotslizzy

It was nearly four years ago when we cabbed back and forth to Eze, but I recall we just grabbed one cab there and got another cab at a cab stand in Eze (or more accurately just outside of Eze) when we wanted to return. I don't recall pre-arranging the return ride.

Here is a link to a very short review of our day in Eze along with our photos: click here In it I mention that the cab fare was around 30 euros each way. Back then we looked into the bus/train and found it not only sounded confusing but potentially would chew up a lot of valuable time. In the end it just didn't seem to make sense, especially for 4 of us in the cab, but I would have come to the same conclusion even if it was just my wife and me. Of course things might have changed a bit in the past 4 years.

This is just what we are looking for. We intend take the bus to Monaco as my sister has not seen this place before and the buses from Monaco to Eze do not run as frequently as we would like . After that taxis will be great .

We had lunch at one of the restuarants in Villefranche a couple of years ago and it is such a pretty place that I feel gets overlooked in the rush to visit Nice or Monaco so we do intend to explore a little before getting back on the ship which does not leave until 8 p.m.

I def like the sound of the Chateau for a drink but I would like to have lunch up In Eze as well . So long as we can get taxi's I would much prefer to do our own thing so thanks again.

Cheers

Scotslizzy

This is just what we are looking for. We intend take the bus to Monaco as my sister has not seen this place before and the buses from Monaco to Eze do not run as frequently as we would like . After that taxis will be great .

We had lunch at one of the restuarants in Villefranche a couple of years ago and it is such a pretty place that I feel gets overlooked in the rush to visit Nice or Monaco so we do intend to explore a little before getting back on the ship which does not leave until 8 p.m.

I def like the sound of the Chateau for a drink but I would like to have lunch up In Eze as well . So long as we can get taxi's I would much prefer to do our own thing so thanks again.

Cheers

Scotslizzy

If you want lunch up in the Chateau I'd recommend calling for reservations. Again it was a few years back but I seem to recall they were booked for reservations only even through some tables were empty - presumably waiting for customers. Oh - if you're having lunch there then double check the line of credit on your credit cards to make sure you have sufficient room to cover the cost.:eek: A wonderful spot but they definitely charge for the view.

112 BUS to EZE - Latest information.

The bus continues to run between Monaco and Eze every 90 - 120 minutes. The on-line timetables are accurate. We took it last week, catching the 9:55 bus to Eze which came to the bus stop much later than it was supposed to. We came back on the bus which was supposed to pick us up at Eze around 2:30 and again it was rather late arriving and very crowded.

What made life much easier in the morning was that we caught the # 2 Monaco city bus, which is right across from the port and took it to the Crémaillère stop. This was well worth the extra euro to avoid an uphill walk in the heat and also to allay any anxiety associated with not being quite certain where exactly the bus stop for Eze might be. In the afternoon, we walked back from the bus stop to the ship, a pleasant downhill stroll.

A local tried to convince us that we were in the wrong place to catch the 112 bus but we checked in the cafe and were reassured we were in the correct place.

Total transportation cost: 5 Euro round trip.

Archived