Last second price drop - advice needed

We (2 couples, 2 cabins) are cruising on AOS this Sunday. We had booked an inside guarantee and ended up with adjacent inside cabins on deck 10, which we are quite happy with (both the locations and the fact that we're next door to one another.

Today I've noticed that the price has dropped $80 (Canadian) per person. My TA called RCI and they'll give me the the OBC but they want to toss us back into Guarantee which means we could lose our deck 10 cabins and the 2 cabins might not be side by side.

I'm wondering if any TAs (or anyone else out there) has any experience on how RCI handles this normally handles this so I can make an informed decision on whether to roll the dice or not. My gut says that if there's risk of us being moved we'll forego the $160 OBC. Any suggestions?

I've heard it happen both ways: sometimes they give you the same cabin, sometimes a different one. I usually book cabins next to each other and I never risk the guarantee because I like to pick my location.

There's not much interior availability left, and none on deck 10 so it's risky.

This happened to me and I booked directly with RCI. I called them regarding the price drop and was given OBC.

I had already a cabin assigned on deck 10 which was a nice upgrade. The RCI agent told me that if I get the OBC, I would be tossed into the pool of gaurantee again.

However I felt the OBC would be better for me as I didn't care what I was assigned.

So we took the OBC and the cabin assigned was removed from the website and ended up getting a new cabin a week or so later on a lower deck.

So to answer your question, yes you will lose your rooms you have because you booked gaurantee.

Marci, thanks for your response. Some of my fellow cruisemates from the roll call have reported back that RCI allowed them to keep their cabin and get the OBC as well. I've called my TA back and asked her to call them again. If we get this OBC it will bring the price we're paying down to $389 / person (including port charges) so we'll have to bring her back a nice gift in lieu of the commission she won't be getting!!

This happened to me and I booked directly with RCI. I called them regarding the price drop and was given OBC.

I had already a cabin assigned on deck 10 which was a nice upgrade. The RCI agent told me that if I get the OBC, I would be tossed into the pool of gaurantee again.

However I felt the OBC would be better for me as I didn't care what I was assigned.

So we took the OBC and the cabin assigned was removed from the website and ended up getting a new cabin a week or so later on a lower deck.

So to answer your question, yes you will lose your rooms you have because you booked gaurantee.

The exact same thing happened to us. We had 2 price drops and got thrown back into the guaranty pool twice. For $1300.00 worth of OBC it didnt break my hear to give up my hump cabin.

Marci, thanks for your response. Some of my fellow cruisemates from the roll call have reported back that RCI allowed them to keep their cabin and get the OBC as well. I've called my TA back and asked her to call them again. If we get this OBC it will bring the price we're paying down to $389 / person (including port charges) so we'll have to bring her back a nice gift in lieu of the commission she won't be getting!!

If you are serious about a "gift" in lieu of commission, I suggest this:

Canadian20.jpg

Once they assign you cabins, if it's not the ones you were in you could look to see if the same two are available or two are close together and ask to be moved. We just traveled with friends and we were a floor apart - it really didn't make a difference. That being said, I would think if your reservations are linked, there's a good chance you'd get the same rooms.

Ok, here's what happened....

TA called first time this morning and they told her we had to go back into the Guarantee. I told her that a fellow cc'er had gotten the additional OBC without changing cabins. TA asked if I could get the person's name or reservation number and she'd call back. When she called a 2nd time with the info and they told her the RCI agent shouldn't have done that and wouldn't budge. Eventually we decided to take our chances, take the additional OBC and see where we ended up. TA called back a 3rd time and made the arrangements. Once done, before she hung up the phone she asked if they'd tell her what cabins we'd end up with. The answer was....the same ones they had before! lol

John Henry, thanks for the suggestion but what's the TA going to do with specimen 20s??? :D

Ok, here's what happened....

TA called first time this morning and they told her we had to go back into the Guarantee. I told her that a fellow cc'er had gotten the additional OBC without changing cabins. TA asked if I could get the person's name or reservation number and she'd call back. When she called a 2nd time with the info and they told her the RCI agent shouldn't have done that and wouldn't budge. Eventually we decided to take our chances, take the additional OBC and see where we ended up. TA called back a 3rd time and made the arrangements. Once done, before she hung up the phone she asked if they'd tell her what cabins we'd end up with. The answer was....the same ones they had before! lol

John Henry, thanks for the suggestion but what's the TA going to do with specimen 20s??? :D

I am surprised that it was even suggested that you may have to move. I have gotten price drops on gty cabins before and never been moved if I was already assigned.

I am surprised that it was even suggested that you may have to move. I have gotten price drops on gty cabins before and never been moved if I was already assigned.

It was more than mentioned, it was out and out said that we'd have to dive back into the guarantee pool and be reassigned. Where were you earlier when I was worried what would happen??? lol

Perhaps this policy is in place to discourage some from taking the obc.

Archived