Exploring from Marseilles on our own

schoolinmy3

We are most likely going to strike out on our own for shore excursions. Being a family of 5 (children ages are 19, 17 and 10) most of the per person prices HAL contracts for the shore excursions are just going to be out of our budget. Much as I would love to do private tours those are going to be pricey as well (it is the multiplier by 5 that just does us in). I did notice, actually my husband pointed it out, that we were in the Provence region while I was pregnant with my first child (ahem, 19 years ago). So we were in Avignon and Arles back when we were both a bit thinner, younger and prettier:). I pulled out our photo album and we were indeed in that area. I had forgotten. Anyway, we may rent a car in Marseilles and explore the areas again. Or, we may take the train. I will have to research that and see which is most cost effective. Does anyone know where to best rent a car in Marseilles, specifically, where to look that is closest to the port? Thanks!

Diane

We toured Aix in the morning and then after lunch on the ship we took a free port shuttle to the Harbor in downtown Marseilles. It drops you off right on the water by some HOHO buses and a fun little rubber tired train that does several tours of the area.

http://www.marseille-tourisme.com/en/travel-trade/tourist-offers/the-tourist-trains/

http://www.petit-train-marseille.com/ Video

The trip over to the Chateau d'If from the Old Port in Marseille is well worth it and great fun. It was supposedly where the Count of Monte Cristo was imprisoned and you can see the cells etc. It's easy to do.Something for all the family! The Old Harbour is fascinating and there is also the HOHO bus tour around the city. There is probably enough in Marseille to keep you all entertained for the whole day. Notre Dame de la Garde is beautiful and the view from up on the top is well worth seeing. There are beaches if you want to swim as well - there are some good ones on the outskirts of the city where the international footballers have their houses. The traffic in Marseille is crazy and it can be very gridlocked so bear that in mind if you do wish to hire a car. A lovely restaurant where you can get a delicious meal (European) is Bistro Romain, we always make a point of trying to eat there at some point.

• 3 months later...

There are many, many great options nearby in Provence. Here's a little sample of info, plus some of my past pictures from this great area. You might check Avis and Europcar. You can't do all of these or even a smaller fraction of these places in your short time there. But, this gives you a sampling menu to consider for what fits your interests.

PROVENCE: WHY IT IS A GREAT PLACE? ITS WONDERFUL OPTIONS:

Why do people love Provence? It is a region having a love affair with the land, earth and environment. The landscape is lush and verdant. Open-air markets have baskets of fresh herbs, fruits, flowers, fabrics, etc. The colorful spirit of the Mediterranean fills the air. Provence is nature at its purest. The sky is a piercing shade of blue. Fields are abundant and the air is clear. The climate ensures that spring, summer and fall yield magnificent and varied harvests. Throughout France, Provence is known for the best of everything natural. People in the area take great pride in these natural traditions for what they grow and how it is prepared in each village and every kitchen.

LOCATION: Provence has at its southern edge the famed Cote d’Azur with its wonderful coastline along the Mediterranean Sea. Generally Provence is consider the area east of the Rhone River with the Alps being the eastern border. Provence enjoys a southern sun that shines 320 days yearly, giving the region blue skies and mild temperatures year round. It is most picturesque in the spring with its flowering trees and shrubs. Summer offers local markets full of fresh harvests. Mid July is when the lavender field are in full bloom, filling the country air with a soothing fragrance. The Mistral winds can bring icy temperatures on bright sunny days. Getting lost can be fun in Provence. You can stumble across a charming village, history abbey or great tree-lined roadway.

KEY PROVENCE LOCATIONS/OPTIONS:

AVIGNON is "one of the great art cities of France". Its old part of town has the Papal Palace, seat of Popes 1309-1377, street musicians perform near palace; art museum in Place du Palais open Wednesday through Monday, population of 87,000, town is on Rhone River. Once the religious, political and financial capital, Avignon is today a cultural capital and plays host annually in July to the largest festival of live theatre in the world. It has some of the best example of Gothic architecture in Europe.

AIX-EN-PROVENCE (population of 125,000) with Cezanne's studio on the road to Entremont; university town founded 122 B.C. as first Roman settlement in Gaul, near thermal springs, dining at Gu et Fils. An elegant and beautiful town, the visitor will enjoy discovering its ‘thousand fountains’ as he or she roams through its labyrinth of narrow streets. Aix-en-Provence is also renowned worldwide for its unique classical music festival.

Car travel to such nearby areas as ARLES, highest priority area city with Roman ruins, including 20,000 seat arena where bull fights are held in the summer; founded 49 B.C. by Julius Caesar, population of 52,000, Van Gogh's former home. Tarascon has its 15th century castle. LES BAUX is a very neat medieval village with great views that has no major population now, but tourist flock to soak up its history and great views. You should dine right near there at L'Oustau de Beaumaniere for ONE OF THE BEST MEALS YOU CAN HAVE IN FRANCE (lunch is more affordable).

This website gives some excellent info on the area, plus this excellent Michelin two-star rated dining place:

http://www.relaischateaux.com/en/search-book/hotel-restaurant/oustau/region

NIMES was settled 121 B.C. and has a population of 140,000. Around the time of Julius Caesar, Nimes was a bustling city on the strategic Via Domitia linking Rome to Iberia/Spain. Nimes's arena, temple and nearby aqueduct are among the best-preserved in all of the former empire. Cars are banished from the compact old city dotted with other ruins, enhancing the feel of yesteryear. The Maison Carre is an almost impossibly pristine Roman temple.

ST. REMY has its Roman ruins, a population of 9000 and is the setting of world-famous literature. Saint-Remy is one of the most representative of Provençal towns and allows the visitor to appreciate the true charm of this oft-celebrated region of the country. It comes as no surprise that Saint Remy, like Cannes or Saint Tropez, is a destination for many well-known personalities. This Gallo-Roman village is on the plains 20 km south of Avignon. Residents more recent than the Romans include Dr. Schweitzer, Dr. Nostradamus and Van Gogh. The picturesque, old village is protected by the circular 14th-century wall which is lined by its protective circle of buildings. Its dolphin fountain is located in the shaded square in front of a 16th century old convent. This is a busy, active village, with a good selection of restaurants and hotels for the traveller. Among the shops are a few with some regional pottery, including some beautiful sunflower plates influenced by Van Gogh. The road between St. Remy and the autoroute (at Cavaillon, 17 km to the east) is a scenic drive out of the past: the road is lined by plane trees .

PONT DU GARD (Roman aqueduct/bridge) to the west of Avignon is a must see with its well-preserved history and beautiful setting. Saturday AM market at Uzes near Pont du Gard can be totally charming and wonderful.

CHÂTEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE translates as "New Castle of the Pope" and is entwined with papal history. When in 1308, Pope Clement V, former Archbishop of Bordeaux, relocated the papacy to the city of Avignon, future "Avignon Popes" did much to promote wine growing, especially the viticulture in the 5–10 km north of Avignon area close to the banks of the Rhône River. The blend is usually predominantly Grenache for this area. Wine critic Robert M. Parker, Jr. has promoted the wines of Châteauneuf and helped inflate their populartiry and price. A 2007 New York Times story noted: “A good Châteauneuf-du-Pape is first and foremost a wine-lover's wine. Other wines can give you gloss and symmetry, the sort of good looks that are obvious even if you aren't much of a wine drinker. But Châteauneuf does not lend itself to smoothness and polish.”

Try good Provence website of:

http://www.provencebeyond.com

Try Avignon’s official tourism office:

http://www.avignon-et-provence.com

For St. Remy:

http://www.saintremy-de-provence.com/anglais/ssomm.htm

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

In the heart of Provence, this is the famed Roman-built Pont du Gard. It's an amazing engineer accomplishment:

ProvPontGardWide.jpg

ProvPontGardTight.jpg

Here’s a sampling of the fun at a market day in Provence:

ProvMarketShopping.jpg

ProvCheeseMarket.jpg

Along the scenic southern French coast west of Cannes:

CannesWCoast.jpg

Terry, I always love your pictures! Carrie

THANKS, Carrie! I like your good taste, sound judgment and kindness. If interested in the Norway Coast, fjords, Copenhagen, Land of the Midnight Sun, etc., I will hopefully be having more to share in the coming few weeks. I plan on doing LIVE postings. Check the Northern Europe/Baltic Board. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Marseille is a very interesting city and nowadays a popular short break destination in its own right. There is much to see and do there and you should have no problem getting around.

The Marseille Tourist Office has a very good site with a version in english.

http://www.marseille-tourisme.com/en/in-marseille/

There is a lot of info there if you explore the different sections.

You could also use the SEARCH THIS FORUM (if you are logged in) and type in Marseille (and/or Marseilles) and all previous threeads with that word will appear in the results. As there have been many questions about Marseille reading through the results of previous threads should give you loads of useful tips and info.

You can also use SEARCH THIS FORUM on any of the other forums, it is a quick and easy way to get a surprising amount of info.

Can someone please tell me if it is walkable from the port to Cathedral of Notre Dame de la Garde if we don't want to take the little tourist train?

It is a long way uphill to NDdlGarde. I suppose you "could" do it, but think that you wouldn't really want to.

Archived