best ways to pack certain items

nchevychik33

So after reading some rave reviews I purchased the rum runners, they came increadably fast. But I was wondering the best way to pack them. And are they ok to be filled before our flight and placed in our checked luggage. Any advice would be appreciated.

Don’t risk them leaking when the air pressure in the luggage compartment changes during your flight. You don’t want to arrive at the ship smelling of liquor.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07, Westerdam ‘09

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

Pending Cruises:

Oceania – Insignia, June 17, 2010

The airlines don't care what you pack if it's in your checked bags....just leave some space in the RR for expansion!

As far as the ship goes, keep them in your LOCKED, CHECKED luggage.....put them in with your curling iron, hair dryer, shoes, etc....mix it up. You don't want them scanning your luggage and seeing a huge "space", where you liquor resides!

Fill the RR about 75% and squeeze the air out of the remaining RR. This will make the RR very flexible. Put the RR in your checked luggage and spread them among all your checked luggage. Put the RR in with other objects such as shoes, etc. Be careful that no sharp objects are placed nearby that could puncture the RR bags.

If your luggage is scanned, they are looking for bottles shaped like liquor bottles. There are 3000+ pax on most ships now. This results in 6000 or so pieces of luggage. They usually have only four hours or so to scan the luggage and load it onto the ship. They do not have a lot of time to study each scanned luggage picture. RR are hard to see in an xray but not impossible. The odds are definitely on your side. I have never had a problem.

Personally I just pack a bottle "of whatever" and roll it up in a pair of levis or a beach towel. That goes in the middle of my duffel bag with clothes all around for additional cushioning (sp) and, knock wood, have never had a problem.

I leave an air-space in my rumrunner flask, put the cap on as tight as possible, then seal up the whole flask in a freezer bag using my FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer. I place it in the center of my CHECKED luggage with something solid (like shoes or a book) around it and have never encountered a problem. Just be sure there is nothing sharp anywhere near it that might puncture the bag!

LOVE the rumrunners! Had a bottle of Grey Goose bubble-wrapped and centered in the bag several years ago - it had broken and was all over my clothes when I arrived on board. Nothing damaged, but what a waste!! ;) We've used the rumrunners ever since with not one mishap! :D

I'm a huge fan of using Zip-Loc bags. I fill the RR as it says in the directions for them and wrap each in either paper towels or tissues and put each in a Zip-Loc bag which I close and put into yet another Zip-Loc bag.

The whole deal goes in my checked baggage as suggested in the posts above but I do try to put them in a well protected corner of the suitcase.

A zillion flights and no problems at all. I prefer the smaller RR's to the larger ones, but that is just what works for me.

Archived