1-day Vancouver to Seattle after a 4-day coastal?

I'm considering taking a 4-day coastal on HAL in May from San Diego to Vancouver. I live in Seattle, so like some other posters here, I am trying to figure out how to easily and cheaply get back to Seattle. I talked with a HAL rep about the possibility of adding the 1 day cruise from Vancouver back to Seattle on the same ship. He said that due to maritime and immigration laws, it cannot legally be done. If I wanted to take the risk, I would have to completely disembark in Vancouver, go through Canadian immigration, then re-board going through Canadian immigration again. Also, once back in Seattle, if US immigration checks the computers, they could potentially impose large fines. He said that he has seen it happen. Sure doesn't make sense to me!

Does anyone have first-hand experience with this issue?

I'm considering taking a 4-day coastal on HAL in May from San Diego to Vancouver. I live in Seattle, so like some other posters here, I am trying to figure out how to easily and cheaply get back to Seattle. I talked with a HAL rep about the possibility of adding the 1 day cruise from Vancouver back to Seattle on the same ship. He said that due to maritime and immigration laws, it cannot legally be done. If I wanted to take the risk, I would have to completely disembark in Vancouver, go through Canadian immigration, then re-board going through Canadian immigration again. Also, once back in Seattle, if US immigration checks the computers, they could potentially impose large fines. He said that he has seen it happen. Sure doesn't make sense to me!

Does anyone have first-hand experience with this issue?

Yes, I've come across this problem before too. It's an obscure law called the Passenger Services Act, and it's a several hundred dollar fine. Cruise lines routinely check their passenger manifests to make sure nobody is breaking the law, and will cancel your booking if it violates the law.

Now, what you COULD do, is see if there's a one-nighter on another cruise line that same day. Princess has a couple in May, maybe they're at the right time for you? Then you wouldn't be violating the PSA, and you still get the fun of cruising home. Or, the Amtrak is also lovely and helps you avoid the long wait at the border.

You will be in violation of the PVSA which is American protectionist legislation and and only real way around it is to take another ship. Otherwise there are some penalties involved...as I recall, in the region of $300 pp.

You will be in violation of the PVSA which is American protectionist legislation and and only real way around it is to take another ship. Otherwise there are some penalties involved...as I recall, in the region of $300 pp.

Fines can be excessive, and most cruise lines won't even let you try it. The only way around it is to take not only another ship, but another ship leaving another day - from what I've read, just switching ships on the same day isn't enough.

I checked with Amtrak and the two trains per day experiment ends at the end of this month. So you may be down to a train a day soon. Cost factors of added border checks etc is the stumbling block. I would think that since they have not decided yet at this date it's not looking good to keep the two runs. We can but hope. Fingers crossed.

Regardless the best way to get up here or visa versa as far as I'm concerned is the train. Goes south around 5 PM or so.

Fines can be excessive, and most cruise lines won't even let you try it. The only way around it is to take not only another ship, but another ship leaving another day - from what I've read, just switching ships on the same day isn't enough.

Actually, I've been able to switch to a different cruise line on the same day with no problem. We sailed up to Vancouver on a Princess ship and then returned on a HAL ship. Didn't even have to leave Canada Place, but did have to go through disembarkation with Canadian customs and then embarkation and US customs. Made for a busy day, but being a cruising addict, it was a fun one for me. I'm not sure if you could switch to a different ship with the same line and still be OK, since I don't have personal experience with it.

Here's a really good article about the PSA if you're curious about the law (it's an older article but the law hasn't changed):

http://www.sealetter.com/Oct-99/alancol.html

• 1 month later...

This is INCORRECT!!

The PVSA is SHIP specific. All you have to do is change ships - same day is OK. Of course, you can also change cruise lines since you would also be changing ships. You do NOT have to stay overnight, but if you do, it's a lovely city.

We sailed into Vancouver's Canada Place from Seattle last fall on one Princess ship and then got on another Princess ship that same day and set sail to Los Angeles - No Problems!

Archived