White noise for rooms

I have read numerous posts here about people worried about the noise level in their rooms--whether it's from other noisy guests, music from above or having a sleeping baby in their room who they don't want to wake up with trips to the bathroom or other noise-causing events ;)

So I just thought I would post what we use in our family. All 3 of my boys have had these in their rooms from the time they were babies. 2 of my boys like the ocean sound and one likes the rainfall sound. These are great "sound machines" and can be turned up quite loud for such a small machine. One of mine has been with us for 7 years so they last quite awhile. They can run off of batteries or be plugged in and we always bring ours with us for any hotel rooms we may be staying in. I did have a problem on our last trip because the airlines saw it in our carry-on and thought it may be some type of bomb LOL The did allow it through once I explained what it was.

These are well worth the $20!!

http://www.amazon.com/HoMedics-SS-2000-Relaxation-Machine-Nature/dp/B000F3QG0U

These are good if you want to add noise. If you want to quiet noise, earplugs are the cheapest, and easiest solution.

Ok this is going to sound crazy but I cannot wear earplugs. The sensation it gives me after awhile is that my head gets "hot"???? Maybe this has something to do with holding in heat that would usually escape? I don't know...all I know is that they bother me and I end up unknowingly taking them out at some point in the night while I am sleeping because they bother me. Weird...I know :D

These are good if you want to add noise. If you want to quiet noise, earplugs are the cheapest, and easiest solution.

Unless you are an extremely light sleeper like me... I travel with family/friends who sadly snore and even wearing 2 set's of ear plugs does not drown out the noise...

I have to wonder about the "noise" issues....my home isn't perfectly quiet...sirens, trains, wind, a/c or furnace, cars.....unless there's a jackhammer outside my door or a band with heavy bass playing late into the night, random sounds aren't a bother....

Thanks OP, the white noise machine is good, my sister has one, but my 'don't forget to pack for noise thing' is my own FAN... can't compete with its noise.. plus I'm already used to it.

Also, I can't wear earplugs... thanks for sharing

I've read where the fans are taken away....??? I'd like to bring a very small fan, but this sound machine might do the trick as well. I travel with DH who snores! I've tried everything!

We took a small fan several years ago and it didn't get taken away. Last year, we asked for a fan through special needs and they said they would get us a fan but was not in the room.

Another request to special needs was not met so this time I had a copy of my email and gave it to the cabin steward. He got us a big fan the next day.:)

I have used ear plugs but hate them and can still hear enough noise that they don't seem worth it.

You can take a small fan, but this time on Voyager, we found the noise aft was more significant than on the side, however, it seemed we slept better. Our cabin made its own white noise of the sea rushing past the ship and the hum of the screws, never slept better in 11 cruises. Napped very well in our hammock on the balcony too:

jzeivp.jpg

Best kept secret are the aft cabins!

I have to wonder about the "noise" issues....my home isn't perfectly quiet...sirens, trains, wind, a/c or furnace, cars.....unless there's a jackhammer outside my door or a band with heavy bass playing late into the night, random sounds aren't a bother....

Because everyone is different. What bothers one may not bother the other. Not so hard to understand if one just thinks about it.

Because everyone is different. What bothers one may not bother the other. Not so hard to understand if one just thinks about it.

So true! I was in a hotel on business in Washington DC once and as I tried to sleep the first night, the chatter from the neighbor's TV (a sound that grates on my nerves enormously) kept me awake. I contemplated putting on a robe and going to ask them to turn it down ... then I noticed a pair of French doors behind curtains leading to a little Juliet balcony I hadn't seen when I first got there. I opened the doors, and, ahhhh, city traffic sounds (this New Yorker's white noise). I fell asleep in no time.

We got the idea from another Aft balcony above us. We bought the hammock at Costa Maya ($15 in Mahahual, the pier venders wanted as much as $75 for the same hammock!)and after learning how to say Luga para hammoka, spanish for "Rope for the hammock" I finally found a vender in the pier shopping area who agreed to sell me some nylon rope and we just tied it onto the beams that hold up the partitions. But I do not think this will work on all balconies or all ships. You'll just have to see. You have to have a pipe or something to attach the rope to.:)

Archived