Wine Card - Purchase online or in the MDR

Sulo

I seem to remember reading in a post that you get a "better pour" if you purchase your wine card in the MDR rather than online or another part of the ship. Is that the case and if so is it because the wine steward gets the full 15% gratuity? I would probably only have wine with my dinner and nowhere else on board.

It's just that it would be more convenient to purchase online before we leave, it would be one less charge on our onboard account. But does that get you a less than generous pour?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I'm really not a wine lush........!

I don't think that the pour size differs whether you buy it from your MDR wine steward/ess, but I do think you get a little more attention from him/her when you do. They're probably interested in having you finish that last little swallow of wine so that you'll order another ... and later in the cruise, another card.

The 15% service charge goes into the same ship-wide bar staff pool wherever you buy it.

I seem to remember reading in a post that you get a "better pour" if you purchase your wine card in the MDR rather than online or another part of the ship. Is that the case and if so is it because the wine steward gets the full 15% gratuity? I would probably only have wine with my dinner and nowhere else on board.

It's just that it would be more convenient to purchase online before we leave, it would be one less charge on our onboard account. But does that get you a less than generous pour?

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I'm really not a wine lush........!

Just a little tidbit for you on this issue. Once I purchased the wine card before departure and was told that it would be in my stateroom when I arrived. It was not! I had to "battle" with the front desk about the wine card and show proof that I did INDEED already pay for it. From that time on I have always just waited till I boarded and found a bar that was selling them. As far as a difference in a pour, never noticed. HAL always seems to be generous with their wine pours. PS~ I'm not a wine lush either, but I DO like my wine!:D

Archived