Istanbul review

Istanbul review

My husband (53 years old) and I (54 years old) had a wonderful time on our trip beginning October the 28th 2009.

We arrived at Barcelona October the 29th 2009 and October the 31st 2009 we began our cruise on the Celebrity Summit, 14 nights Mediterranean Legacies Itinerary:

Barcelona, Spain / At sea (Formal) /Villefranche (Nice), France* / Livorno (Florence), Italy /

Civitavecchia (Rome),Italy 2 days / Naples (Capri), Italy / At sea (Formal) / Piraeus (Athens), Greece / Istanbul ,Turkey 2 days / Mykonos, Greece / At sea (Formal) / Split, Croatian /

Venice, Italy.

*We missed Villefranche because of the high waves we cannot used the tenders to go ashore sniff! Sniff!

It was one of our best cruises perhaps because we tried for the first time to do excursions by ourselves. It was fantastic! Thank you to you, Cruise Critic Board, who convinced me to try!

Thank you for all the precious information I got from you!

So, in return, I would like to share with you the detailed itinerary we followed for some ports...

Monday, November the 9th 2010

A very sunny day 20˚C - 22˚C (68˚F - 72˚F). How beautiful it was!

1:00pm - We arrived at Port Karakoy. Everybody was on the Sunrise and Resort decks taking pictures. As we slowly navigated on the Bosphorus river, we saw, on the port side, the Hagia Sophia Basilica, the Blue Mosque, Topkapi Palace, and the Galata bridge. It was very impressive to see so many fisherman boats and ferries sailing between the two continents, Europe and Asia. I never thought that one day I would be there. How lucky we are!

Did you know that Topkapi Palace is closed on Tuesday? For that reason, we rushed over there immediately. It was so easy, I still cannot believe it. Up on deck, we listened to a Turkish music band wearing traditional attire playing on the pier to welcome us. It was very inviting! We were allowed to disembark the ship around 2:00pm; how exciting it was!

Upon leaving the ship, we headed to our left and continued (5 minutes walk or less) in this direction, with the Bosphorus to our left.

We arrived at the Galata bridge and the Tramway station was just at our right in the middle of the street. We purchased tokens 1,3 YTL each (Turkish Liras that we purchased in Canada) at a small silver kiosk in the middle of the street. We took the tramway direction Zeytyinbunu. It is a modern and clean tramway; very nice. It was filled with people. I have to tell you that we felt very secure, nothing to be worried about. After passing stations “Eminonu” and “Sirkeci”, we exited at “Gülhane” to go to Topkapi Palace. We entered the Gülhane Park and purchased our Sarayi (Palace) tikets 20 YTL and for the Harem 15 YTL. We spend 2 hours there. We saw the Harem, the Sultan’s treasury, the garden... We had time to visit everything, no line up, no bottlenecks, and very peaceful. It was incredible… we could imagine the life at the time of the Sultan. A must-see!

At 4:30pm, we decided to walk to the Grand Bazaar passing by the Amhet III fountain and the park between Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque. We continued on the street where the Tramway circulates. We walked until we saw a sign indicating that the Grand Bazaar was to our right. Very easy and enjoyable lazy walk, that lasted approximately 30 minutes. And still we thought, “Wow! We are in Istanbul!”.

We spent 1 hour or so at the Grand Bazaar. We noticed that the stands that sold similar goods were all placed together in the same aisle or mini-street if you wish. For example, one aisle was all jewelers and another was for all stands selling antique, etc. We enjoyed just walking around; it was fun!

In November, night falls early, around 5:30pm. This meant we were able to see the Mosque illuminated. It was magic! We browsed some boutiques on our way to the ship. We ate delicious different kinds and flavors of Loukoums. We crossed the Galata bridge and there were still many fishermen on the bridge. It was so different than we were used to. We loved it! We walked from the Grand Bazaar to the ship (slowly... 1 hour) and I insist, felt very secure.

At 6:20pm, we were on the Resort deck contemplating Istanbul by night with a succulent cocktail, and enchanted by the voices of those praying all over the city... I had a little tear in the corner of my eye...

After having a delicious meal at the Cosmopolitan Restaurant on the ship, we went to Club Revelations (deck 11) to the “Celebrate the Mediterranean” party. The highlight of the show was the presentation of Baladi – Belly dancing women with a Turkish orchestra. She was very entertaining and we had a great time! Thank you to our cruise director, Damian de Lorenzis, who organized such a nice evening!

Day two in Istanbul will follow shortly!

Tuesday, November 10th, 2009

This morning, it is so beautiful, sunny day 21˚C or 71˚F that we decided to walk to the historic area to see Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque and the Cistern. Perhaps a 30-minute walk...

During our walk, at 9:05am, we respected the minute of silence when all the city activity stopped, at the sound of the sirens. The moment of silence was for the commemoration of the death of Atatürk, founder of the Republic of Turkey as well as its first President (1881 – 1938).

We arrived at Hagia Sophia, no line up, bought our tickets 20 ytl/adult. I was very astounded to know that when the Ottoman Turks conquered Constantinople, they painted in black the inside of Hagia Sofia basilica. It used to be an orthodox basilica, but was then transformed as a Mosque, thus explaining the black paint. Many years later, now a museum, the inside of the basilica is being restored to its original state. The plaster covering many of the mosaics is in the process of being painstakingly removed by expert restorers. Everything is precious, beginning with the marble on the floor to the beautiful mosaic of the vaults. Must –see!

The prayers’ schedule was: (I found it on Internet before leaving for our trip)

Fajr: 5:12am/ Sunrise: 6:45am/ Dhuhr: 11:49am/ Asr: 2:28pm/ Maghrib: 4:51pm/ Isha: 6:19pm

So, at 10:30am, we went directly to the Blue Mosque (free of charge) just before the prayer of Dhuhr 11:49am. No line up! Hindsight, November is the month to travel! We took off our shoes and we entered this marvelous mosque with six minarets. There are many windows (200) where the sun showcased the fabulous stain glass, the prayer room with the colorful red carpet and the Iznik ceramics mostly in blue. There, the light reflected on the ceramics, giving it a blue gleam, thus the name Blue mosque.

Continuing on our escapade, we stopped at Yerebatan Sarayi, the Cistern (Sunken Palace), 10 YTL/person. This complex provided water to the Zeuxippe bath, which no longer exist, which was located near the Hippodrome. It is like a forest of two hundred columns. Fascinating!

Noon, no time for lunch, we continued. We took the tramway at Gülhane station direction Kabatas and we traveled on it until we reached the terminal.

Arriving at Kabatas station, we could see from a distance the Dolmabahçe Palace with is white fence facing the Bosphore river. What a stately palace!

We walked into the Dolmbahçe ‘s garden, paid the fee, 20 YTL/person. Usually, it is more expensive (40YTL/person), but because it was Atatürk commemorative day, there were some events in the Palace and we could only visit half of it. Thus, we got a discount price. There was a line up! (30 minutes) but it was worth it. Perhaps one day, if we return, we will see it entirely!

Before returning to the ship, we took the tramway to Galata station and went on the other side of the street to hop onto the Tunnel Funicular. After the ascent, we strolled on the Caddesi and Istikbal pedestrian streets for shopping. After that, we continued our way down and saw the Galata tower.

We arrived on the ship around 3:00pm we were exhausted but so happy to have seen this splendid place! An highlight in our cruise!

If you wish to read about other ports we visited during our cruise, please refer to the following links:

Barcelona:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1149234

Florence:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1154257

Rome:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1155028

Enjoy!

Tuesday, November 10th, 2009

This morning, it is so beautiful, sunny day 21˚C or 71˚F that we decided to walk to the historic area to see Hagia Sophia, the Blue Mosque and the Cistern. Perhaps a 30-minute walk...

During our walk, at 9:05am, we respected the minute of silence when all the city activity stopped, at the sound of the sirens. The moment of silence was for the commemoration of the death of Atatürk, founder of the Republic of Turkey as well as its first President (1881 – 1938).

We arrived at Hagia Sophia, no line up, bought our tickets 20 ytl/adult. I was very astounded to know that when the Ottoman Turks conquered Constantinople, they painted in black the inside of Hagia Sofia basilica. It used to be an orthodox basilica, but was then transformed as a Mosque, thus explaining the black paint. Many years later, now a museum, the inside of the basilica is being restored to its original state. The plaster covering many of the mosaics is in the process of being painstakingly removed by expert restorers. Everything is precious, beginning with the marble on the floor to the beautiful mosaic of the vaults. Must –see!

The prayers’ schedule was: (I found it on Internet before leaving for our trip)

Fajr: 5:12am/ Sunrise: 6:45am/ Dhuhr: 11:49am/ Asr: 2:28pm/ Maghrib: 4:51pm/ Isha: 6:19pm

So, at 10:30am, we went directly to the Blue Mosque (free of charge) just before the prayer of Dhuhr 11:49am. No line up! Hindsight, November is the month to travel! We took off our shoes and we entered this marvelous mosque with six minarets. There are many windows (200) where the sun showcased the fabulous stain glass, the prayer room with the colorful red carpet and the Iznik ceramics mostly in blue. There, the light reflected on the ceramics, giving it a blue gleam, thus the name Blue mosque.

Continuing on our escapade, we stopped at Yerebatan Sarayi, the Cistern (Sunken Palace), 10 YTL/person. This complex provided water to the Zeuxippe bath, which no longer exist, which was located near the Hippodrome. It is like a forest of two hundred columns. Fascinating!

Noon, no time for lunch, we continued. We took the tramway at Gülhane station direction Kabatas and we traveled on it until we reached the terminal.

Arriving at Kabatas station, we could see from a distance the Dolmabahçe Palace with is white fence facing the Bosphore river. What a stately palace!

We walked into the Dolmbahçe ‘s garden, paid the fee, 20 YTL/person. Usually, it is more expensive (40YTL/person), but because it was Atatürk commemorative day, there were some events in the Palace and we could only visit half of it. Thus, we got a discount price. There was a line up! (30 minutes) but it was worth it. Perhaps one day, if we return, we will see it entirely!

Before returning to the ship, we took the tramway to Galata station and went on the other side of the street to hop onto the Tunnel Funicular. After the ascent, we strolled on the Caddesi and Istikbal pedestrian streets for shopping. After that, we continued our way down and saw the Galata tower.

We arrived on the ship around 3:00pm we were exhausted but so happy to have seen this splendid place! An highlight in our cruise!

If you wish to read about other ports we visited during our cruise, please refer to the following links:

Barcelona:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1149234

Florence:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1154257

Rome:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1155028

Enjoy!

Wonderful review. My husband and I will be on a cruise that starts in Istanbul. I was happy to read your experience using the tram. As we were in Istanbul last year on another cruise we had an all day private tour of the city and saw most of the popular sites but are excited to return again. We missed Hagia Sofia and wondered if there are tour guides once you get there. The Dolmabahçe Palace sounds interesting and it will be put on our must see sights. We are planning to do alot of walking this time so any extra details or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Pat

Excellent reviews, Specs - thanks for posting. We were in Istanbul last year, but we only got to see the Topkapi palace and Hagia Sophia, though they were both extraordinary and very memorable places. I agree with everything you said about the tram. We used it as well, and to me it's the key to being independent in Istanbul. It's very cheap, too.

I enjoyed Istanbul. The city itself is quite gritty - very much a big working city, with these astonishing places in the middle of it - but (as you said) very safe. I felt there was a lot of energy in Istanbul, it's very much a city going about its business for almost 24 hours of the day. Tourism is almost incidental.

Thank you for your insight but can you really walk to the Blue Mosque etc. from the ships dock? We will be taking the HAL/Westerdam this coming May 4th.

Crazy2

Yes, you can....but as the original poster said, it's a minimum of 30 minutes; probably longer for most people. Fine if you're not in a rush. The tram is quick, easy, and inexpensive and will get you there in less than half the time.

Archived