Connection time at Frankfurt Airport

Atomica

Just wondering if some frequent flyers through Frankfurt can help me out...

We're looking at booking airfare from Vancouver to Barcelona via Frankfurt on Lufthansa, but are concerned that the connection time for a lot of the flights that work for us is only a little over one hour.

What are your experiences with connecting at FRA? Can a 1-hr connection be done? W're going from one Lufthansa flight to the next, but I know any operational delays can close that window. I can't seem to find out if connecting passengers have to clear customs first...

The problem is ALL the connection times seem to be tight...and those are better than the Air Canada flights we found through Munich, where the time was 45 minutes.

Well, as you stated, if any delays on your inbound to FRA....

But, I will say that I have had an easy time in FRA connecting and their imagration has allways been a breeze (nothing like the US). I see there is a lot of flights to BCN on LH so if by chance you miss you one connection there will be another going that way (unless you have a late night connection).

We're looking at booking airfare from Vancouver to Barcelona via Frankfurt on Lufthansa, but are concerned that the connection time for a lot of the flights that work for us is only a little over one hour.

What are your experiences with connecting at FRA? Can a 1-hr connection be done? W're going from one Lufthansa flight to the next, but I know any operational delays can close that window. I can't seem to find out if connecting passengers have to clear customs first...

The problem is ALL the connection times seem to be tight...and those are better than the Air Canada flights we found through Munich, where the time was 45 minutes.

As long as you're not flying in day of cruise, I don't see the problem. If you miss your FRA-BCN cxn, LH have flights approx every few hours, and they just put you on the next one.

LH 4450 FRA 0755-0950 BCN

LH 4452 FRA 0955-1150 BCN

LH 4454 FRA 1305-1500 BCN

LH 4458 FRA 1610-1805 BCN

LH 4460 FRA 1735-1930 BCN

LH 4464 FRA 2105-2300 BCN

You will need to clear passport control at FRA, but not customs.

As was pointed out, FRA is LH's main hub, so if you do miss your flight, there will be others.

FRA is a very large, sprawling airport, but it is well sign-posted and organized.

One key thing is to make sure both flights are on the same ticket - that way it puts the responsibility on LH to get you to your final destination i.e. they would only allow that combination of flights if they are confident you'll be able to make the connection.

Overall, I've had good experiences flying with LH via FRA. They do a good job, if there are delays, of making sure their agents look after the impacted passengers and helping with alternate flights.

CG

Archived