Did you buy photo book on board... how'd it look?

markstudy

I was informed that these would be saved into the album so I would have access to them when I went to work on my album online.

For some reason... it take a few extra weeks to get your ship photos. They just showed up one day in my Panraven file with an email (letting me know they arrived, in case you don't notice them).

I just started on my book, and was about half way done when my 7 portraits showed up.

I had asked the staff at PanRaven, and they said this is the norm. My guess is it takes Princess or PanRaven a few weeks to sort out all the photos coming off the ship all at the same time when the cruise ends.

As far as the jacket is concerned, I'm really glad to hear that I can change it. But I'm a little bit surprised. The folks that I purchased the book from said that was the only one available to me as the more expensive ones are, well, more expensive and the package I was getting was already reduced by half. But I will definitely try to change the cover when I get that far along in editing.

It looks like this may be easier if I upload my photos to picasa or the other option, because if I don't, it looks like I'll just need to go to my photos on my hard drive and chose them one at a time.

You may have bought a different package but I doubt it. The people selling this new product on the ship seemed confused about the covers when i asked. And mentioned something about different covers and additional cost. But when I finished my book, the last thing you do is pick a cover, and there was no extra charges. (I expected to be hit-up for additional cost...but it just showed 3 different coves and asked me to pick one)

You can upload all your photos straight from the hard drive with just one click. Just click on Panraven's main button in the "Add Media Section".... its labeled- "upload from your browser" ...but it just uploaded straight from your hard drive (seems to be a funny way to word it?) but it works, and its very easy one step process!)

WOW! I am finishing up a Panraven book for our Sapphire cruise right now, so thanks, Markstudy, for starting this thread! Loved seeing your finished album and the albums others have posted. I've gotten a few format ideas and it's reassuring to see that even though everyone's books are quite different, they all really turned out great. I thought this was a great service; we had three ship's photos downloaded and we received a $20 credit toward the book for one of the photos we had purchased, making the deal even sweeter. I really liked some of the stock photos and preset layout, as they gave you a good starting point for organizing! I deleted what I didn't like, but kept quite a bit, too. I agree that the layout options were somewhat limited; although there are quite a few to choose from, there aren't enough that allow you to mix vertival and horizontal pohotos on the same page....annoying (although I've found the same thing doing an on-line album with Kodak Gallery). Now I've just got to finish my own book! :)

For some reason... it take a few extra weeks to get your ship photos. They just showed up one day in my Panraven file with an email (letting me know they arrived, in case you don't notice them).

I just started on my book, and was about half way done when my 7 portraits showed up.

I had asked the staff at PanRaven, and they said this is the norm. My guess is it takes Princess or PanRaven a few weeks to sort out all the photos coming off the ship all at the same time when the cruise ends.

Thank you SO much for your reply. That's great...I know exactly which ones will be in there (I have the hard copies) and I will leave space for those....thanks again!!!!

Dawn

You may have bought a different package but I doubt it. The people selling this new product on the ship seemed confused about the covers when i asked. And mentioned something about different covers and additional cost. But when I finished my book, the last thing you do is pick a cover, and there was no extra charges. (I expected to be hit-up for additional cost...but it just showed 3 different coves and asked me to pick one)

You can upload all your photos straight from the hard drive with just one click. Just click on Panraven's main button in the "Add Media Section".... its labeled- "upload from your browser" ...but it just uploaded straight from your hard drive (seems to be a funny way to word it?) but it works, and its very easy one step process!)

I went back online to upload using one of the two options as I mentioned, and as you stated, I just did what you said just to see if it would upload the entire file (500+) pictures and it did just what you said, so that will be a time saver.

Thanks....

Dawn

The "upload from your browser" label just means that you are using your browser to upload the files from wherever you point it... Simple as that...

• 2 months later...
On our cruise, they were selling a photo book, where you could up-load all your photos and they'd publish it and send you a professional looking coffee table book. Company is called PanRaven and I guess they cover all the cruise lines?

Did anyone buy this? Did you like the finished product? I ordered one, waiting for it to show up in the mail. Just thought I'd ask what others thought?

I had fun organizing my photos. Web site was very easy to use. Seems like a good idea. I usually buy a few 8x10's but never really find a way to display them when I get home. So maybe this is the best way to go?

Thanks so much for sharing this great idea! I will definitely be looking into this so I can capture our Alaskan Cruise in July!

I completed my book for our Panama cruise and it should arrive any day.

I just saw on the Captain's circle newsletter, that this is now offered as a special promo, free with the purchase of a designated number of phots (5 for gold, 4 for platinum, 3 for elite). Sounds like a great deal, since we purchases photos anyway, plus the book. I think we bought 4 portraits so we would have got the book free with one more ($25 instead of $60)

They charged $59.95 for 100 pages, and free shipping. I thought that was a good deal (it would cost me that to get my photos printed out, and I'm lazy, so they saved me the work)

I have a link to my book on-line.

http://www.panraven.com/visitor/VisitorViewStory.epage?sp=Sview&sp=154975 If link doesn't work try cutting and pasting it into the adderess bar of your web browser. Also I noticed that if you click the arrows below the cover photo you can see two pages at a time as you scroll through the album (this helps give you a panorama view) if you just click on the photo it gets bigger, but you can only see one page at a time.

I did add a few extra pages... they charged me $1 a page if you go over 100 pages.

It looks great on-line....but now that I'm sitting around waiting for the book to come in the mail... I was wondering how folks like the actual books when they got them?

WOW! Awsome pictures!! What kind of camera were you using for the underwater pictures?

They charged $59.95 for 100 pages, and free shipping. I thought that was a good deal (it would cost me that to get my photos printed out, and I'm lazy, so they saved me the work)

I have a link to my book on-line.

http://www.panraven.com/visitor/VisitorViewStory.epage?sp=Sview&sp=154975 If link doesn't work try cutting and pasting it into the adderess bar of your web browser. Also I noticed that if you click the arrows below the cover photo you can see two pages at a time as you scroll through the album (this helps give you a panorama view) if you just click on the photo it gets bigger, but you can only see one page at a time.

I did add a few extra pages... they charged me $1 a page if you go over 100 pages.

It looks great on-line....but now that I'm sitting around waiting for the book to come in the mail... I was wondering how folks like the actual books when they got them?

Just looked at your album on line. Looks great. Don't think you will be disappointed. One question for you. Did you have to write all the text or what portion comes, if any, already pre-written.....

Bob

Just looked at your album on line. Looks great. Don't think you will be disappointed. One question for you. Did you have to write all the text or what portion comes, if any, already pre-written..... Bob

We made 7 stops, so the book came with a page of text for each island. Plus a page or two of text about our ship- Ruby

So we had 9 pages of text... most of it was basic tourist info about each port. It was very useful and made it easy to get started.... but I only used about 33% of what they gave me, and decided to write the rest.. my wife and I just liked making little quirky comments. The hard part is to learn how to put captions on your photos without stating the obvious- "Mark standing in front of the ship" after you make the mistake of labeling yourself and the thing you are standing in front of a few times... you realize that you should say something more creative because we are looking at the photo and know that its Mark standing in front of the ship :D

I took a lot of photos and displayed many of them as full page size, because I'm not much of a writer. In contrast, I saw a sample book for an Alaska trip and it had just as many photos, but they were all displayed in the small size, so the book was about 50 pages of Text. So you can do your book anyway you want.

We made 7 stops, so the book came with a page of text for each island. Plus a page or two of text about our ship- Ruby

So we had 9 pages of text... most of it was basic tourist info about each port. It was very useful and made it easy to get started.... but I only used about 33% of what they gave me, and decided to write the rest.. my wife and I just liked making little quirky comments. The hard part is to learn how to put captions on your photos without stating the obvious- "Mark standing in front of the ship" after you make the mistake of labeling yourself and the thing you are standing in front of a few times... you realize that you should say something more creative because we are looking at the photo and know that its Mark standing in front of the ship :D

I took a lot of photos and displayed many of them as full page size, because I'm not much of a writer. In contrast, I saw a sample book for an Alaska trip and it had just as many photos, but they were all displayed in the small size, so the book was about 50 pages of Text. So you can do your book anyway you want.

Thanks for replying back with the info.....

Bob

Awesome book! It makes my scrapbooks look so beginner-like. We're leaving on the Emerald on Sunday so I plan to take full advantage of their special offer.

Thanks for sharing your book. It looks great !

Lisa

Just received my 103 page Panraven photo book creation. I am very happy with the picture quality, color management, and the paper stock. I thought the binding process could have been better. The binding is "loose", and the pages kind of fall when the book is opened. Not nearly as tight and nice as the Picaboo books I have done.

For the price though, it is still a steal.

Here is a link if you'd like to look:

http://www.panraven.com/newstoryviewer/NewStoryViewer.html?storyId=160505

Thanks for sharing your book!

Question for you....how did you get the shots of the differents islands and information on them? I did not pre-purchase the book onboard but am trying to make my own in PanRaven (I know, I know, I would have paid a lot less had I done it onboard), but want to include info about each port as well.

Just received my 103 page Panraven photo book creation. I am very happy with the picture quality, color management, and the paper stock. I thought the binding process could have been better. The binding is "loose", and the pages kind of fall when the book is opened. Not nearly as tight and nice as the Picaboo books I have done.

For the price though, it is still a steal.

http://www.panraven.com/newstoryviewer/NewStoryViewer.html?storyId=160505

I think your book is defective and I would contact Panraven about getting it reprinted. I ordered a 110 page book from them a couple of months ago from my Royal Caribbean cruise and the binding is not loose at all nor do pages fall out!

I thought the binding process could have been better.

Great book. I loved the flying fish photos. I never was able to get a good shot. I also enjoyed the underwater fish shots. You got some great pics.

And your island tour of Dominica was excellent. Thanks for all the cool photos. :D

I also agree that if you contact Panraven and tell them the binding is too lose they might send you another book, to make-up for the defect. Its worth asking them. I ordered two books and the binding was very tight on both, it took a few weeks before the spine of the book relaxed and I could turn the pages easily.

Thanks for sharing your book!

Question for you....how did you get the shots of the differents islands and information on them? I did not pre-purchase the book onboard but am trying to make my own in PanRaven (I know, I know, I would have paid a lot less had I done it onboard), but want to include info about each port as well.

I think you can go to a library at Panraven and get stock shots of the Caribbean. Send them an email and ask if this is true?

The whole point of the book is to showcase your photos. But it's nice to be able to fill in some of the missing parts with stock photos, to make your page complete.

With the text, I'm sure you could get that from a Google search, if Panraven doesn't have it available. Its just basic tourist info.

Archived