Need Anchorage Layover Suggestion

odd man out

I am planning my first cruise. Our ship will be arriving in Seward early on a Sunday in late July. We must be home by Tuesday. The best flight option is the overnight flight leaving ANC at 11:30 PM. I am looking for ideas on how to spend a little time in Alaska. I don't think this is enough time for a cruise/tour. Plus, I want to keep the costs to a minimum.

We could just fly home on the Sunday night flight and spend the day seeing Seward/Anchorage. Or we could spend Sunday night somewhere and fly home Monday night, giving us most of the day Monday too.

I was thinking that renting a car and going for a drive would be the most cost effective to see some of Alaska in a short time with minimal cost. Could one get up to Denali and back the ANC by 9:30 PM Monday for the flight home? Other suggestions for places to go or things to see that would fit this time frame?

Thanks in advance.

I am planning my first cruise. Our ship will be arriving in Seward early on a Sunday in late July. We must be home by Tuesday. The best flight option is the overnight flight leaving ANC at 11:30 PM. I am looking for ideas on how to spend a little time in Alaska. I don't think this is enough time for a cruise/tour. Plus, I want to keep the costs to a minimum.

We could just fly home on the Sunday night flight and spend the day seeing Seward/Anchorage. Or we could spend Sunday night somewhere and fly home Monday night, giving us most of the day Monday too.

I was thinking that renting a car and going for a drive would be the most cost effective to see some of Alaska in a short time with minimal cost. Could one get up to Denali and back the ANC by 9:30 PM Monday for the flight home? Other suggestions for places to go or things to see that would fit this time frame?

Thanks in advance.

Personally i would stay in Seward overnight. there is no way you can do Denali in one night- ride is too long etc. BQ will explain that one.

In Seward you can do the 6 hour boat ride on Sunday, Monday you can do a tour of Exit glacier and dog sledding and still make your flight on Monday. there is also the sea life center- open to 9 nightly. if you do tours you will not need a car and you could take the train back to ANC to go to the airport.

I too would definately suggest you day tour in Seward. I would NOT be in any rush to get home sooner than you have to.

In Seward- a top choice is a Kenai Fjords boat tour, at least 6 hours on the water. IF you want to pack in touring, then get yourself off your ship early. :) Plenty to see and do.

Take the Alaska RR to Anchorage and overnight. Rent a car out of Anchorage, several possible areas to consider. Talkeetna, is an easy drive with several small stops on the way, Eagle River Nature Center, Wasilla Sled Do Headquarters, Thunderbird Falls, Eklutna Spirit House tour. Alternative- Palmer, Musk Ox Farm, Hatcher Pass and Independence Mine, Matanuska Glacier Trekking- cheap nonflying tour- excellent opportunity.

In Anchorage, a lot to also consider. http://www.anchorage.net

No you can not consider Denali Park with this limited time, unless you want to consider one of the possible round trip flyins out of Anchorage.

= Monday you can do a tour of Exit glacier and dog sledding and still make your flight on Monday. there is also the sea life center- open to 9 nightly. if you do tours you will not need a car and you could take the train back to ANC to go to the airport.

Sorry, this advice is wrong. They can NOT make a 11:30pm flight with taking the Alaska RR to Anchorage, the same day.

Sorry, this advice is wrong. They can NOT make a 11:30pm flight with taking the Alaska RR to Anchorage, the same day.

i read to fast missed the time.. but they could still overnight in Seward and drive to the airport around 5 or 6 pm. they just need to check in- no customs so that should help. I thought it was about a 3 hour. either way more fun in Seward vs the city.

I understand that touring DNP is not possible in a day and a half. But I was thinking getting a chance to see the mountain itself (rather than the national park) by driving up as far as Denali State Park to get a view and maybe do a day hike and/or spend the night in a remote lodge. By my map, the road gets to within 35 miles of the summit at this point (vs 80 miles from the summit at the NP visitor's center). I would have just spent the last few days cruising Glacier Bay, College Fjord, whale watching, etc, so I thought doing something inland would be a good change of pace.

i was there once- for 3 days between 2 lodges.. what mt?/ never saw her.. very few people do. it is so true.. i have talked to people who did but 2 in 100..

I rather do a sure thing. .the boat tour in Seward is more about seeing small wildlife not glaciers.

the sealife center- going this summer.. heard you can spend around 2 hours there.

please think again .. why kill yourself driving...

BQ's suggestion is best. Early off the ship on Sunday. Either 8am or 11.30am Kenai Fjords tour for 6 hours. 6pm train to Anchorage. Monday morning rent a car and drive to Talkeetna (about 2 hours).

Excellent McKinley views from in and near Talkeetna if the Mountain is out. Perhaps a flightseeing tour if the weather is nice. I would go first to Talkeetna if the weather is nice. Then on the way back, stop as suggested by BQ. That way you can gauge your time. Be at Anchorage airport by 9.30pm at the latest for check in, security, etc. for an 11.30pm flight on Monday.

Reserve the car in Anchorage NOW. You can always cancel later.

You have a very slim chance of seeing McKinley with only having 1 1/2 days. And if it is clear and viewable, you can see it from Anchorage. If this is your priority to see, then you need to book flightseeing, out of Talkeetna, with several routings, or out of Anchorage.

Archived