HAL Lack of concern

MsWitty1

I was disappointed when dealing with HAL for our upcoming cruise to Mexico. We contacted the shore excursion desk to find out which tours they would recommend for us since my friend is in a wheelchair and can't do stairs. We know that in other countries there are more challenges, so we wanted their guidance.

HAL agent told us to fill out a form they emailed us explaining what my friend could and could not do. We were told to fax back and someone would contact us.

Two weeks went by and no contact. When we called back we were told only one person there, someone named Karen, and she was at lunch. We called back an hour later and were told she had left for the day. After another 2 days of trying to reach her we finally got her by basically stalking her on the phone.

Karen's response was basically she had nothing to suggest and told us we should just try to find something on our own. Seriously! Nothing.

After reading some posts on the boards and doing our own research we found Frank's Tours in Mazatlan who had an accessible van. We also contacted a dolphin encounter in PV who was really helpful.

I think a basic expectations of offering suggestions is not too unreasonable. With the number of wheelchairs and scooters I have seen on HAL, I never expected this kind of handling.

Thank goodness for boards like these.

You should come over to the "disabled cruising" board on this site..where you'll learn that this is a typical response from all the cruise companies. Most tours offered by cruise lines are not accessible. And the folks "selling" the excursions really have no idea whether they are, or not. We all have to do our own research..and often end up staying on the ship on port days, particularly for anything outside of the US and Canada.

(I use a wheelchair).

It is not just HAL. It is the same with Princess, Celebrity, Crystal, RCCL, etc. etc. They don't know what "accessible" actually means, and there is not any incentive for them to improve. They don't need the small amount of money they would make off tours from those on board with significant mobility problems, so it is not worth their effort to investigate what resources are there. Remember they don't create the tours or own the tour companies...they just contract with them.

We find we do better arranging our own shore trips, although it does take some investigation (and this forum is invaluable). Arranging our own not only is usually less expensive (if you have a small group), but enables you to do what you want, when.

Also, remember that in most countries outside of the USA there are no laws that entitle you to accessible tours or transportation or even access to shops or restaurants, and finding them, esp. in Third World countries, is rare. Taking a little risk, trying new things, and being creative is part of life if you want to travel with a disability.

By the way, there is a very nice company in PV that offers custom tours as well.

If you cannot transfer from your chair and walk, most cruise lines will not allow you to tender, so Cabo is usually not a port you can get to at all anyway. Stay on board the ship and enjoy the lovely view, a swim, and a nap.

(KLD)

It's sad, but true. I have never known any cruiseline to be overly helpful except for the little icon for some excursions to let you know that it is accessible. I'm glad that you didn't give up and just stay on the ship. There are almost always alternatives. The only issue will be Cabo because that is a tender port.

You certainly can't go wrong in Mazatlan with Mazatlan Frank. He is very accommodating. Even though my sister was not in a wheelchair, she was on crutches. Frank was so considerate, thoughtful, and helpful. The toughest part will be getting from the ship through the industrial area on the tram when the ship docks, but I do remember that there was a ramp to get on the tram. Mazatlan is one of my favorite ports.

It's unfortunate, but HAL isn't the only one with a lackluster attitude. Royal Caribbean, in my opinion, is even worse. At least HAL didn't give you incorrect information or allow you to book an excursion than tell you onboard that it's not really accessible or is unavailable.

My mom is in a wheelchair and arranged 4 excursions through Royal Caribbean for a New England/Canada cruise. She spoke to people on the phone and thought all the arrangements were in place. However, when she tried to take the first excursion, she was told that no one from corporate had transferred the information to the ship so they hadn't arranged for a bus with a lift. Then she was told that they didn't have time to make arrangements for a bus for the excursion the next day so she couldn't do that excursion either. As an added insult, my dad had to fight to get the money back for the excursions. RC would refund the fees for my mom since she was unable to take the excursion. They didn't want to refund my dad's because they said he "cancelled" the excursion later than the refund time. He is not disabled so RC thought he should have taken the excursion anyway and left Mom at the pier. :rolleyes: He eventually got his money back and they were able to take the other 2 excursions that had been booked, but it was a fight and required a couple of meetings with the shore excursions manager onboard.

The next cruise didn't go any better. My mom made arrangements for 3 excursions through RC but this time did the communication via email to have a written record. My parents arranged a meeting with the shore excursions manager when they boarded, provided copies of the emails, and explained the excursions that they had booked. They thought things would go better this time. Howver, their first excursion was supposed to be a ferry ride through the Panama Canal with a bus ride back to the ship. The excursion people from RC forgot to make arrangements for the accessible bus so they wouldn't let my mom off the ship. She was devastated since the highlight of the cruise was the Panama Canal and she didn't even get to see it. They were able to get their money back for that one. The next excursion went fine, but when they went for the final one, they were told that they had to pay the additional charge to cover having a wheelchair accessible bus. It was a fairly large fee, but the staff wouldn't let them board until they paid the surcharge. The additional fee had not been disclosed previously and it was extremely inconsiderate of RC's staff to wait until my parents were ready to board the bus to disclose the price increase. My parents felt forced to pay the additional fee or skip the excursion and lose the money they already paid. The bus had a lift but it wasn't a private tour. Able-bodied people who did not have to pay an additional fee were also allowed onboard. They paid the fee so they could take the excursion but complained to the shore excursion manager when they returned. They were able to get a refund of the additional fee they paid for the bus since RC hadn't disclosed the additional amount prior to their booking the excursion or within a timeframe that would allow them to cancel the excursion without penalty.

Sorry to drone on, but I think it is better for the cruiselines to simply say they don't have any HC options available and let you make arrangements on your own than to provide incorrect information or lack of follow-up so an HC person thinks they have an excursion booked only to find out transportation isn't available and they have no time to research other options.

I took a cruise with my mom in January and didn't bother asking RC about excursions. I figured it would be better to do everything myself. It wasn't easy but I found something for us to do in every port.

I am scheduled to sail on 3/21/10 on Carnival Valor from Port of Miami and have been working with two companies to rent a power chair; however, after making payment they sent me a long contract that states acceptance of the chair terms "as is". Presently, I use a manual chair and my family pushes me but I want to enjoy my experience with a power mobility device. I have one at home but to transport it would be cost prohibitive.

Does anyone have any experience renting scooter/power chairs for cruises?

Thank you.

I am scheduled to sail on 3/21/10 on Carnival Valor from Port of Miami and have been working with two companies to rent a power chair; however, after making payment they sent me a long contract that states acceptance of the chair terms "as is". Presently, I use a manual chair and my family pushes me but I want to enjoy my experience with a power mobility device. I have one at home but to transport it would be cost prohibitive.

Thank you.

Yes, most of us have. I've used CareVacation in the past. That contract language really is a "cover their butt" clause..the chair may come with some scratches, or paint worn or chipped, an occasional dent....but mechanically it should work fine. In other words, don't expect a new chair, but one in good working order.

Just be sure on the first day to check whether it is fully charged. Sometimes they're not, so you might be limited a bit on the first day, but usually overnight plugged in will keep it going every day.

Take a power strip with you -- one of those units that has several places for 3-prong plugs, and the end plugging into the wall. Electrical outlets are very scarce on cruise ships, and depending on the configuration of your cabin (you DO have a handicap accessible cabin??), it may be a bit of a distance from chair to plug.

I have one at home but to transport it would be cost prohibitive.

Thank you.

Why would it be cost prohibitive. Airlines need to tranport scooters and wheelchairs free of charge. My mom has her own and it goes everywhere with her.

Thank you.

Actually, if you have your own power chair, it won't cost you anything extra to use it throughout your vacation -- in the airport, on the plane, on the cruise ship. There is no additional charge for mobility equipment on either the flight or on the ship, if it's your own.

I wouldn't trust a cruiseline (or other third-party vendor) to make the right choices/ask the right questions/be proactive getting access for me. I go directly to the source. Even when I booked through ShoreTrips once, I asked them the name of the excursion place (a beach) so I could ask a disability-related question directly to the place. I've not booked a cruiseline-sold excursion before, as I book with other companies (either directly or through a third-party vendor), but I wouldn't trust what the cruiseline said if I asked them about one. (Think about how much other stuff they get wrong when the general public asks questions about booking, the ship, amenities, etc.)

Boards like this one are good for getting ppl's experiences and recommendations on (even for stuff that isn't disability-related, like finding a reputable tour company/vendor).

Why would it be cost prohibitive. Airlines need to tranport scooters and wheelchairs free of charge. My mom has her own and it goes everywhere with her.

Well, not speaking for the OP, we have no way to get my DH's power chair from our house to the airport. He has MS and can still transfer into the car and out to a manual chair, so that's what we always use when away from home. So perhaps that's the barrier for them taking the power chair on the cruise.

MsWitty - One more point. Even if you do rent a power chair or scooter, make sure to take the manual chair as well. A power chair is great for getting around independently on the ship, and you may even want to take it into some ports. But a manual chair is much more practical if you go to a place where there are no curb cuts.

I think that when it comes to accessible cruising, it's true that most cruise lines really don't have much of an idea of what that entails for people with disabilities. You are best off doing your own research.

However, I have to say on our Panama Canal cruise on Holland America's Zuiderdam last September/October we found the ship excursion staff to be extremely helpful. I have MS, and while I can walk a little bit, I use a scooter to get around. I realized that on this trip there wasn't going to be a lot that was accessible, but the shore excursion staff called ahead to make sure that the bus could accommodate my scooter, and ensured that seats at the front of the bus were reserved for my partner and myself. They recommended trips that I could do, and talked frankly about the problems with other excursions that I was interested in. Many of these staff have done these excursions, and once they see you in person, they are able to make a fair assessment of what is possible for you to do.

They have a much better idea, than someone stuck in Head Office.

Archived