Norovirus Q&A With Dan Hanrahan

Did 7 weeks onboard ships last year. Various observations; On HAL - lido server, no gloves on, sneezing and wiping nose w. hand. Very little hand sanitizing throughout ship. Constellation; female sommelier picking up used wine glasses by lips(tops) then touching the fresh unused glasses. Told M. D. It never happened again. Connie and Century had more sanit. units but no one enforcing their use. I do remember several yrs. ago on NCL Jewel staff running after those entering restaurants who refused to use sanitizers. Think it worked. Education will lead to prevention. Seniors especially are not washing their hands after using bathroom. I am speaking of ladies. Norwalk is spread from fecal matter. Hot water/soap for 30 seconds minimum. I try not to use public restrooms.

DanL thanks for the tips. I always bring Pepto and Immodium but forgot all about Charcoal. I remember now I did use to always keep them in the house. I will have to pick some up.

Where does one find this charcoal? Tablet or capsule? I've never seen it, but am on the lookout for it now.

I'll be spending the next 5.5 months ensuring that my immune system (and the immune systems of my travel companions) are in tit-top condition.

I never imagined that my daily cruise ritual would include immodium, pepto, and charcoal....:p

Where does one find this charcoal? Tablet or capsule? ....:p

They sell it in the drug store - CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens, etc. It's in the same isle as the pepto.

Luckily we did not need any of the medications I brought with us on Mercury. But better safe than sorry I guess.

Thanks for the info re charcoal, I will add it to my preventative med. bag.

Jackdiamond: we do the same with the pillows, and in addition I purchased one of those sleeping bags advertised in Magellans and other travel publications. Did not like them due to the texture of the material. We did not intend to use them on the cruise, but in pre and post hotels. (the bed bug scare got me to buy them!).

We are going on the Connie in January.

• 1 year later...

Well all though it may not be that level if you look at cruiselaw.com so many people commented from the Feb. 10th sailing saying they lied about how many were actually ill on the silhoutte they are saying about 300 and that it started on the sailing that ended jan. 29th so thats 2 sailings already.

Archived