Hmmm, what's with the monkeys??

aim2cruise

Hi all,

I will be in St Kitts in May via the Carnival Victory. In total there wil be 8 of us including my 5 year old daughter- who I would call a "scaredy cat". I was planning on doing Cockleshell beach, but the started reading about the monkeys.....She is not fond of animals/creatures of any kind and I dont think she'd take well to frolicking on the sand and a monkey walking over to her!

So, please tell me that the monkeys arent just playing out in the sand...are they? I think from a distance saying "oh look at the monkey over there." is fine but a wild monkey up close and personal is a bit much.

Thanks!

Khiya

Hi all,

I will be in St Kitts in May via the Carnival Victory. In total there wil be 8 of us including my 5 year old daughter- who I would call a "scaredy cat". I was planning on doing Cockleshell beach, but the started reading about the monkeys.....She is not fond of animals/creatures of any kind and I dont think she'd take well to frolicking on the sand and a monkey walking over to her!

So, please tell me that the monkeys arent just playing out in the sand...are they? I think from a distance saying "oh look at the monkey over there." is fine but a wild monkey up close and personal is a bit much.

Thanks!

Khiya

The monkeys on St Kitt's don't get up close and personel unless you offer them food (or in some cases drink). They play in the trees not the sand.

I was in the rainforest and only saw one - very far away. I dont think you need to be worried. They are wild animals and they are smart. They stay away from humans who threaten to cause them harm in any way.

What tour are you choosing to do?

I think the original question was about Cockleshell Beach and whether the family needed to worry if the monkeys were frolicking in the sand. So to answer your question, I am about to be a bit contradictory:

No, there are no wild monkeys just out and about on the beach. Reggae beach bar, wich is located on Cockleshell Bay does have a couple of "resident monkeys" who seem to be pretty tame. Wilbur the pig is quite an attraction, as well as a goat, who seems to have a companion who does happen to be a monkey. Usually they are kept caged, but I believe they do wander about the beach, especially Wilbur. Kids generally seem to love these resident "pets," so there is no need to fear the "resident pets." Sometimes the wild monkeys do come out from the hills looking for food, but they are pretty shy and will likely run away if you even look at them! There is another beach where the staff of the bar there feed monkeys every day, and tourists like to take pictures of this, but again, the monkeys tend to be afraid of humans, so I've seen where even attempts at trying to take pictures scare them off. Tell your litte 5 year-old not to worry, because the monkeys will be more afraid of her than she of them. I hope this helps.

Which beach is it where the staff feed the monkeys? I would like to avoid that one.

It's South Friars. There is a funky and friendly beach bar there by the name of Shipwreck. No reason to avoid it - the monkeys are not fed ON the beach. They are on the other side of the parking area from the bar. Great fun to watch, and I have not heard of any incidents with humans. The creatures are cute and very shy.

Are you afraid of monkeys?

Feeding wild animals is just another us human beings do so well as we ruin nature and our environment by feeding them.

Sorry, but I don't totally agree with that statement. It may be your opinion, but is not based on fact or good science. At times it is necessary to feed the animals for a variety of reasons. In St. Kitts the vervet monkeys outnumber humans and they destroy crops and fruit from the trees in people's gardens, and so forth. The few that are fed at Shipwreck, are less likely to go looking for food in Frigate Bay by the hotels and in the villa gardens. Blankety-blanket statements about how this or that is bad for our environment are better bandied about if you have some factual information to back yourself up. I thought that is what these boards are for - information.

I hated seeing the little monkeys with a leash around their neck with someone trying to make a buck..Please do not pay this guy to get your picture taken with the monkey! This is captivity...somewhere a mother is missing her baby! Wild monkeys are a different story...although I agree with not feeding wild animals.

Just my opinion...

I totally agree about animals in captivity. I would whole-heartedly encourage everyone to avoid the fellows who keep those monkeys on chains. On the subject of the ones that are fed at Shipwreck, I think you have to be there to understand the environment. Vervet monkeys are not indiginous to the Caribbean, but were brought there from Africa. They do not have a "natural" predator. As a result, they have proliferatated and pretty much eat everything in sight. If they remained in the rainforest, maybe this would not be a big deal, but they have pretty much invaded every part of the island. Please note that the "feeding" at Shipwreck is done in a manner that does not smack of tourism-side shows, but they are given fruit and such by the folks who run the bar. I just wanted to point out that the current environment is not a "natural" one, and as such, sometimes humans have to step in and do something that helps the balance between wo/man and nature.

aim2cruise,

You and your daughter will probably enjoy them (from a distance, of course!) At times, especially on the drive to Cockleshell along the peninsula, you will see troupes of monkeys at the side of the road or actually crossing the road. They generally come out mornings or late afternoons. They actually make for good photo-ops, except for the fact, as I said earlier, they really are quite timid. I think it's fun to watch them, especially how they treat their young. They really are quite intelligent and not too unlike humans!

Monkey's are fine. Check this out... Beach on the other hand is quite bland, water was merky and cold when we were there in November.

Locals were explaining that depending on the direction of the winds this may happen. We are going back in a couple of weeks, going to choose a different beach.

IMG_0866.jpg.9b69785466ec31d04ebc870b3249b790.jpg

IMG_0875.jpg.9199860abb1cb0f59ccbae789fc44b41.jpg

Monkey's are fine. Check this out... Beach on the other hand is quite bland, water was merky and cold when we were there in November.

Locals were explaining that depending on the direction of the winds this may happen. We are going back in a couple of weeks, going to choose a different beach.

Did you pay someone to have the monhkey do that or was it a wild one that just jumped on the boys' shoulder? Just curious because Vervet said they were timid.

I'm pretty sure the wild monkeys don't wear diapers/shorts!!! It looks like this was a paid for by the tourist photo op. As Vervet said, the OP's daughter doesn't have to worry about any wild monkeys approaching her. Just to put that topic to rest.

I totally agree with the above comment. I would rather see them in their own environment even if they are not native to the island. We have seen some pretty big ones during our walk in the rainforest at Ottley's Plantation's trail.

We recently shared a taxi van with a random group to Cockelshell Beach. The cab stopped at a photo opp (w/out us requesting it) where there happened to be a local vendor w/ a donkey and a baby monkey. The rest of our taxi companions were thrilled to see the monkey, and it hopped into the van to take pictures w/ people (and its owner acceppted tips). My husband and I were stuck waiting for this to finish up before we could continue on w/ the ride to the beach. I hate seeing animals in captivity like that.

But this is a warning as your daughter would probably be terrified of the monkey running loose in your taxi. Make sure your driver isn't planning to stop (and that your taxi companions agree).

Archived