Any veterans of Viking River Cruises?

Tee4Travel

...A good question I had not thought of about the suitcase. We chose the bottom of the ship this time and yes with the fold up bed/seat where in the world can you put it.

Help each of us with the answer

I have been on five GCT river cruises. Each time there was plenty of room to put suitcases under the "sofa", behind a "skirt". I took the Viking Schumann in April [admittedly a twenty year old ship that is particularly small due to Elbe river conditions] and the underside of the sofabeds was solid, and most suitcases had to be stored by the crew. GCT cabins were about 160 sq. ft, while the older Schumann was in the 120s.

Thom

• 2 weeks later...
I have found that reading the postings really helps you make some decisions, but in the end it is up to you. I have asked questions here and thank ful for the reply I got and was able to research a few things for my boat trip. We have done Viking and feel they were tops, but we were with a group that included our best friend TA.

A good question I had not thought of about the suitcase.

We chose the bottom of the ship this time and yes with the fold up bed/seat where in the world can you put it.

Help each of us with the answer

We were on the Viking Spirit and thinking folks needed a spot for their bags. They(Viking) had bags stored at the base of the stairs on the lower deck. I'm guesing they were from folks in your type cabins.:) We had plenty of room for our baggage in our cabin.

• 3 months later...

We took the Budapest to Amsterdam cruise in July and really liked it. I can't think of anything that I would warn you about except the number of locks that we had to travel through--67 in all. While they were a necessary evil, there were some night that we were awakened by a slight bumping in the lock--ship against wall. Also, if you are a light sleeper, you will hear the change in engine noise when you enter a lock--it is a distinct difference. If you fall in love with the sweet mustard that you will be eating with your never ending offering of sausages, buy it in Germany because you can't get it anywhere else. Enjoy the trip.

Karen, we're booked on Viking for the T&W, March 26, 2011. Please post your thoughts, and anything we should know from your experience. (or e-mail, jimmydear@aol.com). I won't hold you responsible for the weather!!

I’m not Karen, but we are also booked on the 3/26 Tulips & Windmills with Viking. And are really looking forward to seeing all the beautiful flowers at Keukenhof Gardens again. We visited there about 10 years ago. Their color and beauty are hard to imagine. Trying to guess the right time to be there at the “peak” time for the Tulips is almost like guessing what the right numbers will be in the lottery. Everything is dependant on the weather.

Speaking of weather. Our son lived and worked in Amsterdam for 7 years. Over those years we visited many times, during Spring, Summer and Autumn.

In all our visits we never had any real weather problems.

Here’s a link to the weather in Amsterdam.

Amsterdam Weather

Check it out, it will give you what you want to know about the monthly and daily averages for temperature and rainfall during the time we will be visiting. Just remember, a rain jacket just in case, and dress in layers and you should have no problem with the weather. For other places we will be visiting just type in the name.

We have had one prior cruise with Viking on the Yangtze River in China. All I can say about that cruise is that it was first class all the way.

Great information everyone and thanks for sharing! I just booked the Rhine Getaway for March 2011 and getting pumped up about it.

Quick question for the viking vets, i like to have a drink after after dinner and hang out in a chair to watch stuff float by, what time do they shut down the bar service? Don't plan to be up at 1am drinking but I am up normaly to 11pm.

Great information everyone and thanks for sharing! I just booked the Rhine Getaway for March 2011 and getting pumped up about it.

Quick question for the viking vets, i like to have a drink after after dinner and hang out in a chair to watch stuff float by, what time do they shut down the bar service? Don't plan to be up at 1am drinking but I am up normaly to 11pm.

Usually the bar will be open while there is still someone in the lounge wanting a drink. I believe they used to shut down around midnight if there was activity, obviously earlier if everyone has left.

Karen

• 1 month later...
One company that has not been mentioned is Grand Circle Travel (GCT dot com). They sell only directly [do not offer any commission to TAs] and since their marketing is primarily by mail, only to people with a US port office address. Their prices are very competitive, but be aware that they offer only twin beds folding out of the wall [NO double beds]; but for the price I can live with that. They have had some complaints with the Better Business Bureau, but we have always greatly enjoyed our five [sixth in April] river boat cruises with them and their great mostly East European English speaking crew. We are leaving this week for our first Viking trip [on the Elbe - since Peter Deilmann dropped out if you want the Elbe it is pretty much Viking (not a slam on Viking, as I have yet to sail with them)] followed a week later by a GCT Danube cruise. GCT often has extremely good close-out prices on their website [under "Ways to Save" and then "Last Minute Travel Deals"; if you don't go this way you get the regular price] on cruises leaving within the next month - since their base price includes air from NY with generally reasonable add-ons from other cities, last minute bookings do not have extreme costs for last minute air [but your routing may not be the best]. And, No I do not have any ownership in GCT. Which ever way you go, river boats are a wonderful way to travel.

Thom

we are going on the elbe trip in oct 2011 anything you can tell us about viking or the trip would be greatly appreciated mavin

Just booked this today. Will be our first to travel with grand circle.

Anyone on the tread booked also on the July 12,2010

Anyone been on this leg of the Rivers?? any info welcom

you will enjoy this trip. food great,tour directors very good.nothing bad i can think of except the travel.Dont expect the most direct flights

Archived