Any veterans of Viking River Cruises?

Tee4Travel

Would appreciate more info on Rhine/Danube cruising with Viking. Have booked the Legend for late May departure from Amsterdam heading to Budapest....

What do you wish someone had told you before you went river cruising? Any suggestions regarding packing and touring? Other stuff? Thanks! :)Tee

I was waiting for someone else to reply as it's been five years since we took this trip and the Legend wasn't built yet. We went the opposite direction on the Neptune. We're packing to go on our third Viking cruise a week from today and have another picked out for 2011, so you know we enjoyed it.

This itinerary is probably my favorite cruise ever. It includes the best scenery (castles along the Rhine), interesting stops (Amsterdam, Cologne, Vienna, Budapest), five countries and interesting attractions for an engineer like myself (the locks on the canal, the variety of river traffic, the way the ship was configured to fit in the locks and under the low bridges). We lived beside the Mississippi for 20 years, but the European rivers are entirely different. Each city and town was a highlight in itself.

I missed the "water bridge" on the canal as it was in the middle of the night and I didn't know about it until after we had passed it; had I known I would have set my alarm.

Things you should know --

This is unlike ocean cruises. Fewer passengers so you can get to know many of them. No formal nights, no contests and pool parties, little entertainment. The scenery and the ports are the entertainment. At each port there is an included tour. All the staff and tour guides speak English. We're from NC and were not expecting the weather to be as cool as it was. I didn't realize until we got back and looked at a globe that we were actually about as far north as Minneapolis.

This was our first river cruise and we debated between a one-week and a two-week cruise in case we didn't like it. Now our complaint is the cruises are not long enough.

Enjoy.

Don

Would appreciate more info on Rhine/Danube cruising with Viking. Have booked the Legend for late May departure from Amsterdam heading to Budapest....

What do you wish someone had told you before you went river cruising? Any suggestions regarding packing and touring? Other stuff? Thanks! :)Tee

I would not be on the bottom deck as it is quite noisy. You can hear the engines from all the other ships through the walls of the ship.

Bratislava's tour was the only one that I found a bit of a waste of time; The choo choo train as they called it was just a chance to sit down and not be able to understand and see what they were describing. You were past the site before they told you about it.

Bring you own wine opener with you.

On Sundays everything is closed except for the real tourist spots.

Have extra time in Budapest as the time the ship gives you just isn't enough to see it.

You did not have to be dressed up for anything. Casual pants and a nice shirt will do for the concert in Vienna which was excellent.

The tables by the kitchen are served first and less noisy. You need to walk all the way into the dining room to get to them.

Clothes were very casual. I would bring an umbrella to be safe.

:You will need change for toilets in Budapest if you go wandering on your own.

Enjoy, the bugs have now been worked out of the ship.

Don,

We're thinking of doing the Amsterdam to Budapest in 2011 and would like to know more about your cruise (besides the itinerary which we have already agreed upon). How do you pick Viking? What were the best parts about their ships? We've seen similar itinerary on other cruise lines and are trying to decide which one to book. How far in advance did you book? Though Viking or through a TA?? Thanks for your help.

Shelia,

Found the invisible reply icon. We cruised on Viking this past Spring from Antwerp-Basel. We were on the Viking Sun--198 pax. For us it was too large. 150 seems to be a very comfortable number for tours and for the dining room's one seating. The bottom deck was very noisey plumbingwise. There was one CD and 3 assistants--all to us to be rather ineffective. This was also our 12th river cruise, our second with Viking. The larger of their boats seem to need the industrial areas for berthing. They are long. Viking also does not have an elevators on their boats. The Schumann on the Elbe has a chair likt to all decks. There are better lines out there for the itinerary you are looking at. Even tho that Viking trip was on the bottom of our list we are cruising with them in Russia this Sept. If at all possible try to book on the smaller Viking boats or another line. Pat

Sheila

We chose Viking because of the incredible cruise we had with them in China. We used a TA because it was easier for her contact Viking than it was for us. I honestly felt the Legend was too big a ship for river cruising. The people on the smaller Viking ships seemed to be having more fun than we had on the Viking. We had originally booked on a smaller Viking ship and were changed to the Legend by Viking. For those with walking disabilities, you need to chose your ship wisely. Viking Legend is not for those who cannot manage stairs. We did notice other Viking ships that we crossed over to get ashore did have chairs to assist people from getting from one floor to another.

Hi Pat,

In case I didn't ask you to report back after your September Viking Russia cruise, I'm asking you now. I'm trying to decide between Viking and AMA's new ship (announced yesterday) for 2011. We're on Tauck's Rhine/Moselle river cruise in July 2010.

Hi Host Sheila. Welcome to this River/Canal River Boat Cruise board!!

Sheila (aka Shoshona2)

Thanks, all for your helpful information as we begin our search for just the right cruise for us. I am currently looking at AMAWaterways, Uniworld, Avalon, Viking, etc. Checking all those with similar itineraries - we really want to be able to do Amsterdam and Budapest extensions pre and post cruise. Since this is our first river cruise and a special anniversary celebration, I'm intent on finding the best fit for us.

Sheila, it's unusual for 2 people named Sheila to be anywhere at the same time :) and Scorpios to boot! Fun

Thanks, all for your helpful information as we begin our search for just the right cruise for us. I am currently looking at AMAWaterways, Uniworld, Avalon, Viking, etc. Checking all those with similar itineraries - we really want to be able to do Amsterdam and Budapest extensions pre and post cruise. Since this is our first river cruise and a special anniversary celebration, I'm intent on finding the best fit for us.

Thanks for asking the question.;) We are in the same 'boat'...looking to book a river cruise and wondering which line. I was about to post the same inquiry as you...

Terry

Don,

How do you pick Viking? What were the best parts about their ships? We've seen similar itinerary on other cruise lines and are trying to decide which one to book. How far in advance did you book? Though Viking or through a TA?? Thanks for your help.

We never plan far ahead. My wife decided she wanted to take a river cruise. She got a Viking brochure from a friend and we called looking for a "deal". We were looking at a 7-day cruise since we weren't sure we would like it. The Viking agent asked when we wanted to go. I said "how soon can you make arrangements?" She found a cancellation on the 14-day Budapest/Amsterdam itinerary a few weeks out, offered us a good deal (at least we thought so at the time), and we said "what the heck, we'll try it."

We've now booked four directly with Viking (had to cancel one last year) including air. I know most people on this board book air separately. I've never tried the discount internet sites for air travel, but on these trips going and returning from different cities I find Viking's rates to be OK for me. Plus they arrange for transfers which takes some of the worry out of it.

We like the informality and relaxed atmosphere on the ships, the fact that the tours are included and the fact that they cater to English-speaking guests. I know, Americans are criticized for insulating themselves from other cultures, but I don't care. We're spending our money for a relaxing trip and want to be as comfortable as we can. Cabins are necessarily small but adequate. If the ship were any larger it wouldn't fit through the locks. LITERALLY -- there's about a foot clearance on each side.

Disadvantages: We're not used to gourmet meals at home and you won't get them on Viking. The food is good and presented well -- amazing when you consider it's all prepared by about 4-5 people in a galley about the size of the average American kitchen. We were happy. It's better than we get at home and we didn't have to prepare it and clean up. Some people complain, but after all, you're not on a mega-ship.

As someone else noted there are no elevators and no pool on most Viking ships. On most ships the lower cabins are smaller and may have "Pullman" beds. On most the upper level has windows that open, portholes on the bottom level. On the Amsterdam/Budapest route there are numerous locks and there's a lot of noise and bumping against the locks while travelling at night. Also nearer the rear of the ship the engine noise bothers some people. No problem for me -- we were in the next to last cabin then and are at the rear on our upcoming trip as well.

For us a vacation is to relax, watch the scenery go by and see some places we've never seen before; no glamour and glitz, bingo and pool parties. A Viking cruise fits the bill.

Don

Most river companies catering to English speaking people are not geared totally to Americans. On only one of our 13 river cruises have we had only Americans. Both Viking cruises had people from the US, Canada, the UK, Ireland, Australia and NZ. The most culturely diverse was our AMA cruise in Portugal. To the aforementioned countries add, Germany, South Africa, Isreal and Norway--a real United Nations. Pat

I agree with DonfromNC - we traveled on Viking last year on the Romantic Danube cruise. Smaller ship, about 138 people. Our room was one level up from the bottom, in the front of the ship. You heard a little noise at night with the locks, nothing terrible. Found the cabin to be more than adequate to store everything, with a picture window that did not open. We also found the meals to be quite good. Staff was friendly and efficient. Tours were handled well with the cruise director and her staff going along to assist you if necessary. We also booked our air through Viking just to have everything run smoothly. We enjoyed it so much we are leaving in two weeks on the Tulips and Windmills cruise, also on a small ship. Can't wait to go.

Karen

We took the Romantic Danube last November and loved it so much that we just booked the Rhine Gateway for October of this year. The girls were great on the Danube. I am from New York and thought the food was good, we were also offered seconds. I am happy to see that they included free Wine with dinner. Entertainment was enjoyable every night and if we were in port, you were able to go to the city. November was cold but we had beautiful fall days when we were actually able to sit outside. It was beautiful to watch Germany get ready for the holidays. Compared to ocean cruising this was absolutely relaxing.

Pat

Is the largest operator of river cruises on the waterways. 21 boats I believe. In my opinion biggest is never the best. They go by the book. Not bad when you run a big business. All the tours were great but all the ours on any river boat are great they all use the same company's when the arrive in a city. I found the food as A for breakfast B+ for lunch and a C- for dinner. They charge for all drinks including dinner at a hefty price. They offer a package but still very expensive. The help on the boat we were on I give a B+ The boat we were on had a a total of 45 in help with 185 passengers, how they get away with that is amazing. But all river boats run that lean. Steamship company could never get away with that kind of ratio. We went on there newest and it was not at all handicap friendly. One public bathroom one for men one fore ladies not even on the dining room deck. But if your looking for a great package in the way of ptice go for it.

Don,

We're thinking of doing the Amsterdam to Budapest in 2011 and would like to know more about your cruise (besides the itinerary which we have already agreed upon). How do you pick Viking? What were the best parts about their ships? We've seen similar itinerary on other cruise lines and are trying to decide which one to book. How far in advance did you book? Though Viking or through a TA?? Thanks for your help.

One company that has not been mentioned is Grand Circle Travel (GCT dot com). They sell only directly [do not offer any commission to TAs] and since their marketing is primarily by mail, only to people with a US port office address. Their prices are very competitive, but be aware that they offer only twin beds folding out of the wall [NO double beds]; but for the price I can live with that. They have had some complaints with the Better Business Bureau, but we have always greatly enjoyed our five [sixth in April] river boat cruises with them and their great mostly East European English speaking crew. We are leaving this week for our first Viking trip [on the Elbe - since Peter Deilmann dropped out if you want the Elbe it is pretty much Viking (not a slam on Viking, as I have yet to sail with them)] followed a week later by a GCT Danube cruise. GCT often has extremely good close-out prices on their website [under "Ways to Save" and then "Last Minute Travel Deals"; if you don't go this way you get the regular price] on cruises leaving within the next month - since their base price includes air from NY with generally reasonable add-ons from other cities, last minute bookings do not have extreme costs for last minute air [but your routing may not be the best]. And, No I do not have any ownership in GCT. Which ever way you go, river boats are a wonderful way to travel.

Thom

I'm not a Viking veteran yet but we are on the Helvetia in Koblenz right now. This is Day 5 of our first river cruise and we are enjoying the Viking experience. We're on Deck 2 (same deck as the dining room and reception desk); room isn't crowded; picture window opens; plenty of storage space; bathroom is small but adequate. There is some noise when going through the locks but it's not really disruptive. Our tours have been well managed with good guides (we really enjoyed the optional tour last night in Rudesheim to a German restaurant for dinner...lots of fun!) If you have difficulty walking (as I do) some of the tours might be somewhat challenging. I opted not to do the Marksburg Castle today due to the number of steps involved but you may find that to be the case on any of this type cruise since most of these old towns have narrow, cobblestoned streets and you do have to do some walking because you can't get to some of the churches, castles, otherwise.

We did the dinner optional trip in Rudesheim with Avalon last year ... I still have pictures of my husband and others drinking from that long 'board with shot glasses' ... it was a fun night....

To all veterans of Viking River Cruises who responded to my request for information: Thank you!

Based on your suggestions and/or shared experiences, I have made several revisions in packing and expectations...and will continue to do so, as more is learned about river cruising.

Appreciate you!

Tee

We just completed our first river cruise on GCT -River Harmony and loved it. Amsterdam - Vienna - 14 days. The ship was beautiful - we were the first one of the season and everything was either new or refurbished; spic and span - lovely woods and upholstry. We were pleasantly surprized since the ship was built in 1999.

In contrast, there was a Viking ship docked by us in Amsterdam - which was VERY tired; needed painting; looked in poor repair. That was just the outside - no visit aboard.

But for the price Viking is charging - even their 2 for 1 is more than GCT...I would go for Grand Circle any day.

We did our own extensions pre and post - and only added 3 of the optional tours on the ship - and it was still less than the Viking brochure.

Just my 2 cents...

We did the Viking Legend from Budapest to Amsterdam 5 years ago and loved it. We have done many ocean cruises all over the world but we really enjoyed the small ship and getting to know so many new people. The food was adequate...nothing fancy but tasty. We loved the included shore excursions.

To answer the question about itinerary changes, we were on the Danube during a severe drought. At one point we got off the ship and were bussed to Saltzburg (not on itinerary) for the day with extensive tour and lunch in restaurant. The ship sailed through a shallow spot while we were gone and we returned for the night and continued with the rest of the itinerary. The staff made a seamless adjustment that we all enjoyed immensely.

We just booked a Portugal and the Duoro River Valley and a Paris to Normandy on Uniworld. We have never sailed on them but the boat in Portugal has balconies and a pool and hot tub on the deck. Will let you know our thoughts after July.

Dear PelicanPam,

Your trip five years ago must have been on a different Viking ship. The new LEGEND was only launched last year. It boasts cutting-edge technology--an innovative propulsion system which assures fuel efficiency and reduced emissions while at the same time providing guests with a quieter ride and less vibration.

Past criticisms of guests--noisy location of library near reception and small sun canopy, for examples--have been addressed. Library on the LEGEND is located aft, and shaded viewing area topside is larger. Having no elevator may be a problem for some passengers. For me, however, it is not; I always take the stairs on cruises to burn off extra calories!

These points (plus a few others like the fact that ship is NEW, not tired) resulted in my selecting Viking's LEGEND, despite the higher cost. The old lessons still apply: "It pays to do your homework" and "You get what you pay for." :o AFTER the trip, I shall be able to assess whether the bigger bucks were worth it!

Certainly I am excited about this new adventure and welcome the sharing of any information which may help to better enjoy it. This is sure to be different from any of the dozen+ ocean cruises already experienced....

Thanks for your input.

Tee

Does anyone know a river cruise company that goes to Egypt or Israel?

I have never been on a river cruise but think the smaller ship sounds great.I know Viking covers those itineraries but I ma wondering if there is anything superior to Viking.

Thanks for any help.

Dear PelicanPam,

Your trip five years ago must have been on a different Viking ship. The new LEGEND was only launched last year. It boasts cutting-edge technology--an innovative propulsion system which assures fuel efficiency and reduced emissions while at the same time providing guests with a quieter ride and less vibration.

Past criticisms of guests--noisy location of library near reception and small sun canopy, for examples--have been addressed. Library on the LEGEND is located aft, and shaded viewing area topside is larger. Having no elevator may be a problem for some passengers. For me, however, it is not; I always take the stairs on cruises to burn off extra calories!

These points (plus a few others like the fact that ship is NEW, not tired) resulted in my selecting Viking's LEGEND, despite the higher cost. The old lessons still apply: "It pays to do your homework" and "You get what you pay for." :o AFTER the trip, I shall be able to assess whether the bigger bucks were worth it!

Certainly I am excited about this new adventure and welcome the sharing of any information which may help to better enjoy it. This is sure to be different from any of the dozen+ ocean cruises already experienced....

Thanks for your input.

Tee

Archived