Just off Legend from 03/14 - 03/21

This was our 8th cruise and 5th with Carnival. We are a family of three - 2 adults and a 2 year old boy.

Embarkation was a breeze and Tampa seems to really have it together. We arrived on the 14th at 11:30am, said our goodbyes and sent the luggage off with the porter. Just then my wife said the dreaded "Where is Kyle's suitcase?" and we had to flag down my dad who dropped us off and head back to the house and retrieve it! We returned to the port for the second time at 1:00pm and was on the ship in less than 20 minutes.

Our room (6143) was a balcony stateroom that was very clean and in perfect order. We were directly above an extended balcony, so we were looking down on someone else and they had no privacy. The balcony was covered in salt which was cleaned twice during port days.

We had Any Time Dining which was GREAT! We did this in Alaska on the Golden Princess and hated it - no personal service, rushed feeling, working for no automated tips, etc., and vowed never to do it again, but opted for it on this cruise so that we could stick to a normal eating time for our son. We got to enter the dining room 15 minutes before the traditional diners, had a great table and team of waiters the first night - so much so, that I requested the same table each night and the hostess said "You got it". So we basically got a traditional dining experience on the anytime schedule. Also, Carnival has it fixed so that your prepaid gratuity goes to the team that waited on you - so you get the service you deserve and pay for.

The ship is in great condition for an 8 year old vessel with a lot of sea miles on her. The Spirit class is easy to navigate, nice decor, spotless from forward to aft, and overall just perfect. The a/c is cold, the water is hot, and pressure is perfect. Also, Carnival's "Tangerine Lemongrass" body wash is great - very "vacationy" and they would do well to sell it in the gift shop. It beats the Bath and Body Works stuff my wife buys (if you ask me).

Grand Cayman was stop number 1 and the tenders were quick with very little wait at all, going and coming. We took advantage of Carnival's Ultimate Undersea Experience (or something like that) which was a hit for the 2 year old. This submarine spends about an hour touring around some wrecks and plenty of fish to see. We were in port with 3 other ships - so the streets and shops were a bit crowded.

Cozumel was stop number 2 and it was cold and rainy (not Carnival's fault obviously). The new port area is clean and has plenty of shops and restaurants. We went on Carnival's Discover Mexico Park excursion which is basically EPCOT at a putt putt golf course. The guide was good, the scale models of Mexico were fine, and the transportation was great. We were in port with 3 other ships and the docks and port area was not crowded at all.

Belize was the third stop and we were there with 2 other ships. Since this is basically a ghetto, we decided to stay in the port area since our son was with us and there is not that much to do with the little guy in Belize like the other ports. After the 20 minute tender, you are dropped off to basically a hugh flea market that they call the Tourism Village. We looked at what the locals had to offer (mostly crappy t-shirts and fake purses and suitcases) and returned to the ship for lunch and a nap. We could do without Belize - fine to dive and cave tube like last time, but not for us this time.

Roatan was the last stop and the best in our opinion. We would have like to have had longer here and less time in Belize. The island is beautiful, plenty of nearby things to do for adventure seekers and families alike. The port is great, people are friendly, and beach was suberb. We will return here again.

The CD Wee Jimmy is a wee bit obnoxious and the Carnival Shopper, Dominica, tells you to visit Diamonds International way too many times, but I guess they all do it since they are getting a cut of the sales. We have had a bad experience with DI, so we might be biased. Oh well - thats our deal, make up your own mind.

Just to dispell some myths and conversations from other posts . . .

Yes - there is a past guest cocktail party

Yes - there are little samples of soap, tooth paste, razors, etc., in the bathroom

Yes - there are little chocolates at night with the towel animal

Yes - the Caper is now the Fun Times

No - there was no lapel pin

No - they do not enforce the dress code in the dining room

Please feel free to ask away!

Very nice review. I didn't realize the extended balcony was set up like that on the Spirit class ships. I would be a little disapointed to have paid for an extended balcony and have little privacy. Been on Freedom & Liberty with standard balcony. Works fine with me. We're on Legend in July in an 8D on same deck you had.

We thought the same thing everytime we went out on the balcony and looked over at the people below us. 3 extra uncovered feet for more money was not a deal to us. Also prevented us from opening door at night to listen to the waves since smoke from smokers below blew in.

Very nice review. I didn't realize the extended balcony was set up like that on the Spirit class ships. I would be a little disapointed to have paid for an extended balcony and have little privacy. Been on Freedom & Liberty with standard balcony. Works fine with me. We're on Legend in July in an 8D on same deck you had.

Hello CJinFLA00, We have an 8D in Oct on the Legend. Same deck. Does your cabin have and extended balcony below? We are in 6218 and I looked at the deck plan and there is just a regular 8C balcony below and above.

Very interesting learning this. I knew some of the other CCL ships had simular privacy issues but this is the first that I have heard about this for the Legend. Thanks for the heads-up. Cari

We have an 8K in April. Never had a balcony before, so I am also wondering about privacy?

Also, you commented that the body wash was great....was there shampoo? If so, how was it? I know that I have to bring my own conditioner for sure.

Also' date=' Carnival's "Tangerine Lemongrass" body wash is great - very "vacationy" and they would do well to sell it in the gift shop. It beats the Bath and Body Works stuff my wife buys (if you ask me).

Roatan was the last stop and the best in our opinion. We would have like to have had longer here and less time in Belize. The island is beautiful, plenty of nearby things to do for adventure seekers and families alike. The port is great, people are friendly, and beach was suberb. We will return here again.

The CD Wee Jimmy is a wee bit obnoxious and the Carnival Shopper, Dominica, tells you to visit Diamonds International way too many times, but I guess they all do it since they are getting a cut of the sales. We have had a bad experience with DI, so we might be biased. Oh well - thats our deal, make up your own mind. [/quote']

We've been on the Legend twice and love this ship.

My husband liked the body wash as well and recently we've actually written to Carnival and asked where we can get it....will let you know when we hear back.:p

Roatan is our favorite stop and always have a great time there. Rented scooters, dolphin swim and the beach. :D

I've also had and incident with DI - won't buy there again. :mad:

Thanks for the reveiw.....heading for Carnival.com to start planning our next cruise on the Legend.

We just got off the Legend today as well....great time, I'll try and write up a full review and include some pics in the next couple of days.

Just a comment on the extended balcony discussion -- we had an extended on the Verandah Deck (7168) and had no privacy issues with the cabins above us on 8, as they were also extended balconies.

Our group had three adjacent balconies, and we had the partitions opened in between, to make one triple-extended balcony. Was very nice for our 4-year old daughter to be able to go from our room to either of her grandparents' rooms. :)

The extended balcony issue that I was originally speaking about was for the ones on deck 5. We were on deck 6 and could look over and see the additional 3 feet of balcony they had. From us on 6 and up, they were normal balconies with privacy and cover. Also, we were in the forward part of the ship, so I do not know about mid and aft extended balconies.

Yes - there is shampoo too. It is also a Tangerine Lemongrass and was great. I'd like to hear what Carnival has to say about where we can buy this stuff at.

Do the cabins have a hair dryer? How about an alarm clock? How do you keep your balcony door open for some fresh air and ocean sounds?

have sailed on Legend twice. The hair dryer is in the top drawer in the desk/mirror area. You can set the alarm clock by using the phone. Very easy. Just follow the prompts. never had a problem. Bring a bungie cord to keep your door open. However, when it's real hot and humid, I would prefer the a/c over the ocean sounds. It's just too darn hot during the summer months out on the Gulf. Hope you have a great cruise. :)

The extended balcony issue that I was originally speaking about was for the ones on deck 5. We were on deck 6 and could look over and see the additional 3 feet of balcony they had. From us on 6 and up' date=' they were normal balconies with privacy and cover. Also, we were in the forward part of the ship, so I do not know about mid and aft extended balconies.

Yes - there is shampoo too. It is also a Tangerine Lemongrass and was great. I'd like to hear what Carnival has to say about where we can buy this stuff at.[/quote']

Thanks for the information, we are cruising in May.

Did they have a Chinese Wok, Deli, etc. in the buffet? I haven't read much about the buffet on any of the reviews. Thanks for the info! :D

Hairdryer in the top right hand drawer in the cabin.

Used phone as the alarm clock.

To prop the balcony door, we use the little black wedge the steward uses to keep the front door open when he is servicing the room.

There is a deli and pizza bar, but no Mongolian Grill like on the Freedom, Glory, etc. There is a daily Asian buffet that has a little fellow cooking behind it all day.

Thanks for the information, we are cruising in May.

Did they have a Chinese Wok, Deli, etc. in the buffet? I haven't read much about the buffet on any of the reviews. Thanks for the info! :D

They have a station with Chinese food. Not a Mongolian Wok like on the Conquest class. No fish and chips area either. The deli is terrific! Pizza 24/7 in aft. Standard buffet like other in the fleet. All the food is pretty good. Have a great cruise. We're back on the Legend in November. Long wait. :D

Can you provide more detail on Roatan? Which beach did you go to? My wife and I will be on Legend in December and have never been to Belize or Roatan so looking for options noy necessarily Carnival excursions.

Carnival and the government of Honduras have built a new cruise terminal called "Mahogany Bay." You walk off the ship into an area of shops/restaurants, and then can make a short (10 minute) walk or take a skilift to Mahogany Beach.

Private, for Carnival passengers only. Hundreds of lounge chairs, smooth white sand, beautiful water, snack bar and drinks with waiter service, canopies/umbrellas/kayaks/snorkel equipment for rent, a playground for the little ones, clean restrooms, etc., etc.

See my review for more details, and pics:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1168662

Carnival and the government of Honduras have built a new cruise terminal called "Mahogany Bay." You walk off the ship into an area of shops/restaurants, and then can make a short (10 minute) walk or take a skilift to Mahogany Beach.

Private, for Carnival passengers only. Hundreds of lounge chairs, smooth white sand, beautiful water, snack bar and drinks with waiter service, canopies/umbrellas/kayaks/snorkel equipment for rent, a playground for the little ones, clean restrooms, etc., etc.

Thanks very much. This is perfect.

What he said :D

Roatan was GREAT - we loved the port and next time will spend the entire day in the Mahogany Bay beach. Boats to rent, water to swim in, etc. It is sort of like a Disney beach resort with stuff to do and play on.

They have a station with Chinese food. Not a Mongolian Wok like on the Conquest class. No fish and chips area either. The deli is terrific! Pizza 24/7 in aft. Standard buffet like other in the fleet. All the food is pretty good. Have a great cruise. We're back on the Legend in November. Long wait. :D

Thanks for the information, my husband will be happy about the Chinese food, he likes this better than the Wok.

We're looking forward to cruising out of Tampa, I'm sure it will be fun!

Thanks for the information, my husband will be happy about the Chinese food, he likes this better than the Wok.

We're looking forward to cruising out of Tampa, I'm sure it will be fun!

Tampa is a great US Port to cruise out of. The only one that we found that was just as efficient and easy to get around was Seattle.

Archived