Connection in Dulles or Newark or Boston?

Pearl64

I have been looking for several months now for flights for our Baltic cruise this August. I have a price of $2411 for both of us including taxes and fees. My question is where should we connect through--Dulles or Newark or even Boston. The price is the same whichever we choose. The flights I have been looking at are out of Cleveland (are cheaper than out of Pittsburgh). We would be leaving on August 17 to get to our cruise on August 19 out of Tilbury and returning from Oslo on September 10. My Continental options are as follows:

1. Leave Cleveland at 2:55 and get into Newark at 4:45. Flight to LHR leaves at 6:40 and arrives at 6:45 am. There is one other flight to Newark that would get us there in time for the 6:40 flight. There is also another flight to LHR that leaves after the 6:40 one. It gets into LHR at 8:20 am.

2. Leave Cleveland 3:25 and get into Boston at 5:14. Leave Boston on Virgin Atlantic at 7:45 and get into LHR at 7:30 am. this is booked through Continental.

Return options:

1. Leave Oslo (We are spending one week in Norway after our cruise departs Stockholm) 11:25 am and gets into Newark at 1:50; leaves Newark at 3:55 and gets into Cleveland at 5:42.

2. Leave Oslo at 6:55 am to Frankfort via Luftansia; departs Frankfort at 11:20 and arrives in Cleveland at 5:42 with a stop in Newark.

The United option is leaving Cleveland at 2:26 and getting into IAD at 3:46. Leaving iAD at 6:05 adn arriving at LHR at 6:20. The return is leaving Oslo at 11:25 and getting into Newark at 1:50 pm. The flight for Cleveland leaves at 8:30 and gets into Cleveland at 10:30 pm. Long layover at Newark. Thought there should be an earlier flight out of Newark to Cleveland.

My concern is making the connection to either Newark or Dulles. All flights unless I take one at 6 or 7 am have a 60% on time performance. I will be booking directly with the airline. I have about 15000 miles with Continental and about 6000 with United. My gut instinct is to go with the first option of the 2:55 continental flight to Newark out of Cleveland. Coming back doesn't make a great deal of difference as it is on the way home, but how much time do we need to clear customs/immigration in Newark? We have thought about driving to either Dulles or Newark to insure we get to the international flight. If I knew of a hotel that one could stay the night and leave the car for while we are gone, we would do that. Pittsburgh has those options with certain hotels. I didn't know if Newark or Dulles had any of those arrangements as well.

Does it really make a difference which flight? From what I have read no one thinks the prices will go down much before August. i have checked all sorts of combinations and these seem to be the best schedule wise and price.

Those of you who fly a lot--please some advice. It is a lot of money so I want to be sure we get there (I know nothing is for sure any time). I know the East coast can get socked in with low clouds and storms so I thought Washington might be an alternative.

Thank you for all of your help. I need to bite the bullet soon on these flights. IF there are other suggestions out there, please offer those as well.

Pearl

My only experience going to Europe from the east coast is via IAD on UA (seems I’m doing this a lot more lately rather than going directly from the west coast). Not a big fan of IAD but haven’t missed a connection yet (and I stress yet). All your routes seem reasonable but would suggest you stick with the airlines you can add miles to (CO or UA). If you are going economy you might want to consider E+ seats on UA rather than standard E seats on CO.

Your price seems in line with summer travel to Europe so I understand you want to pull the trigger.

Good luck,

John

I know Dulles well, Newark far less, and Boston about the same. I've never connected in Boston. Dulles is a bit of a pain for international-to-domestic, due to the need to use their "mobile lounges" (unless the reformation has changed that), BUT for domestic-to-international, which seems to be the only situation you're considering Dulles for, it's usually very easy, and if it's with the same airline (and probably if with code share partners like United and Lufthansa), you just just walk through a terminal to your gate. Newark a bit bigger in layout, and if you have to go from terminal A to the others, you take a short bus ride. I assume there are no later flights to your final overseas destination if your miss your connection (you only mention LHR but I gather you wouldn't cruise from there). If I read your long post correctly, you might have an 8-hour layover on the way back. A situation where splurging for a day pass at an airline club could be worthwhile (some Continental President's Clubs have showers).

Return options:

1. Leave Oslo (We are spending one week in Norway after our cruise departs Stockholm) 11:25 am and gets into Newark at 1:50; leaves Newark at 3:55 and gets into Cleveland at 5:42.

2. Leave Oslo at 6:55 am to Frankfort via Luftansia; departs Frankfort at 11:20 and arrives in Cleveland at 5:42 with a stop in Newark.

Of these two return choices (not comparing them to anything else), I would go with the 2nd solely because it gives you more time to clear immigration and customs at Newark. 2 hours might be cutting it a little close for immigration/customs.

Archived