Beginner Snorkel on PG

pacheco18

My husband (a former army Ranger!) hates the water but has promised to try snorkeling. He is a pilot (prefers the air to the water). I have only gone snorkeling a couple of times. I know he will not feel really comfortable but I don;t feel all that comfortable in his plane. LOL

What can you recommend in rather shallow water for beginners? Are any of the tours appropriate?

Hmm. You might like the helmet dive on Bora Bora. I haven't done it, but a friend of mine who doesn't snorkel much did it, and loved it. You walk around on the bottom with a helmet on, no snorkeling necessary.

The motu has a very gentle drop-off into deep water so that you can wade around and just put your head in and look at the fish. They also usually have a beginner's snorkel class early in the day on the motu day. When you pick up your snorkel equipment, make sure to get a flotation vest, that will make you feel more secure.

You can walk around on the Bora bora motu as well, up to your chest or so, and just float around, but most of the interesting stuff is further out, in fairly deep water.

Of the excursions, the lagoon snorkel in Moorea is pretty tame. So is the stingray ballet on BB, especially the first part--you don't need to snorkel at all, you're in chest-high water, and you can take your mask and snorkel along and just put your head under to watch the stingrays--no fins required.

Do try it, it's great fun--my husband hates the water (although he's a decent swimmer), but he really enjoys a bit of a snorkel!

Avoid anything that mentions a "drift snorkel". Those are in deep water and generally involve a current.

Only really tough snorkeling is the "drift snorkel" at Taa'ha. Or anything else labelled "drift snorkel" as these require you to be a pretty comfortable swimmer. Doesn't he remember that "Rangers Lead the Way?"

Greg

Archived