First Family Cruise, decisions decisions! Any advice appreciated

samnewbie

Hi there,

I previously posted some questions about first time cruising and have had some great comments and advice.

We are now trying to decide from our shortlist as to which will be the best first time cruise experience - I previously cruised once, Oriana, maiden voyage and a Nile cruise, very different of course - husband and daughter never. Our daughter will be 15 when we sail.

We are intending on booking a Med cruise, we live in Lancashire, England.

Whatever option we book we will be spending time prior to the cruise and after either in the embarkation city (Malaga or Barcelona) or along the coast nearby.

We are not having a 'major' holiday this year so that we can have a FAB one next year.

The cruises we have narrowed down are :

RCCL - Adventure Of The Seas- 7 Nights Ex Malaga 20 Aug 2011 which includes 2 days at sea.

NCL - Epic - 7 Nights Ex Barcelona 21 Aug 2011 which includes 2 days at sea.

RCCL - Libetry Of The Seas - 7 Nights Ex Barcelona 20 Aug 2011 which includes 1 day at sea.

The price for the AOS is slightly lower than the other two which are both similar in price to each other.

I quite like the idea of two days at sea for relaxation as long as my daughter isnt bored, though how on those ships i don't know! She is however a little wary of the cruising (she should never of watched Titanic!) so hopefully if we opt for 2 days at sea that wont be a problem as she will be loving it all by then.

We are therefore wondering which in your own opinion would be the best first time experience, obviously i know there are no reviews of the Epic as yet but from experience with NCL in general would be also be great.

I'm wondering if AOS is a good option as slightly smaller but still with a wow factor? If we did Liberty would be just as well doing Epic being that it is newer and full of amazing features.

However would we end up spending a fortune on Epic with all those extra dining options that we will feel compelled to try?

I believe bowling and the Spa are extra with NCL? Whearas the Spa and minigolf etc are all included with RCCL?

I know this is a long rambling post, i do apologise :o any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated though.

Oh and if we opted for AOS would a cabin on the bump deck 9 be a good choice?

Thanks in advance!!

Sam:D

Hi there,

I previously posted some questions about first time cruising and have had some great comments and advice.

We are now trying to decide from our shortlist as to which will be the best first time cruise experience - I previously cruised once, Oriana, maiden voyage and a Nile cruise, very different of course - husband and daughter never. Our daughter will be 15 when we sail.

We are intending on booking a Med cruise, we live in Lancashire, England.

Whatever option we book we will be spending time prior to the cruise and after either in the embarkation city (Malaga or Barcelona) or along the coast nearby.

We are not having a 'major' holiday this year so that we can have a FAB one next year.

The cruises we have narrowed down are :

RCCL - Adventure Of The Seas- 7 Nights Ex Malaga 20 Aug 2011 which includes 2 days at sea.

NCL - Epic - 7 Nights Ex Barcelona 21 Aug 2011 which includes 2 days at sea.

RCCL - Libetry Of The Seas - 7 Nights Ex Barcelona 20 Aug 2011 which includes 1 day at sea.

The price for the AOS is slightly lower than the other two which are both similar in price to each other.

I quite like the idea of two days at sea for relaxation as long as my daughter isnt bored, though how on those ships i don't know! She is however a little wary of the cruising (she should never of watched Titanic!) so hopefully if we opt for 2 days at sea that wont be a problem as she will be loving it all by then.

We are therefore wondering which in your own opinion would be the best first time experience, obviously i know there are no reviews of the Epic as yet but from experience with NCL in general would be also be great.

I'm wondering if AOS is a good option as slightly smaller but still with a wow factor? If we did Liberty would be just as well doing Epic being that it is newer and full of amazing features.

However would we end up spending a fortune on Epic with all those extra dining options that we will feel compelled to try?

I believe bowling and the Spa are extra with NCL? Whearas the Spa and minigolf etc are all included with RCCL?

I know this is a long rambling post, i do apologise :o any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated though.

Oh and if we opted for AOS would a cabin on the bump deck 9 be a good choice?

Thanks in advance!!

Sam:D

Hi Sam,

Based on your choices I would opt for either the Norwegian Epic or the Liberty of the Seas. The Epic looks like a pretty incredible ship with many innovative lounges and public spaces. It will be exciting to sail on a brand new ship.

I've not sailed on the Liberty but, if you enjoy the RCCL ships is very popular and also has many interesting venues aboard.

I highly recommend embarking your cruise in Barcelona over Malaga, Spain. Barcelona is such a thrilling and beautiful city with so much to explore. It will be exciting for your family to spend a couple of days there prior to your cruise.

Enjoy planning your voyage.

Jonathan

Hi Sam,

Based on your choices I would opt for either the Norwegian Epic or the Liberty of the Seas. The Epic looks like a pretty incredible ship with many innovative lounges and public spaces. It will be exciting to sail on a brand new ship.

I've not sailed on the Liberty but, if you enjoy the RCCL ships is very popular and also has many interesting venues aboard.

I highly recommend embarking your cruise in Barcelona over Malaga, Spain. Barcelona is such a thrilling and beautiful city with so much to explore. It will be exciting for your family to spend a couple of days there prior to your cruise.

Enjoy planning your voyage.

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, much appreciated.

Yes, I agree about Barcelona, we love the city and had always said we would love to sail from there after watching ships last time we were there, I have however also researched Malaga and theres quite a lot to see and do from there, its a part of Spain i've not really been to before.

On saying that however I am sort of swinging back to the Epic, just for the sheer amount of dining options and the entertainment really, especially The Blue Man Group, daughter really would love that and as she is a water babe she just loves the water park on baord.

Its a hard decision though as had always thought we would go on RCCL as always loved the look fo the ships (i'm a sucker for mini golf) . I wish my husband would say which he actually prefers, that would be a help lol.

Thanks Jonathan again, great advice

Sam x

I think either would be fine but with a 15 year old I would go with the Liberty of the Seas.

Hi there, many thanks, I must admit i've been sort of putting the LOS in third palce purely because i thought as that and Epic are same price we may as well sail on Epic but as i mentioned in previous reply i've also always loved the look of RCCL ships and i'm a sucker for mini golf.

I suppose i'm sure whichever we opt for will be amazing, just hope i opt for the one my husband and daughter really want too lol.

Many thanks,

Sam :)

I think all 3 of the ships have really excellent kids programs. We were on the Freedom of the Seas in Sept and our teenagers loved the program so well, we almost never saw them. Besides the rockwall, mini golf, swimming, sports, and wave thing, my kids spent lost of time at the wii, playstation and xbox contests, computer games, crafts, scavenger hunts, dances, bingo, trivia and special diners just for the teens. There is a teen meet and greet and the facilitatiors are great and introducing teens to each other. My kids are still myspacing and texting kids they met on the ship. :)

Archived