Ibiza

Smithford

Will be visiting Ibiza on a forthcoming cruise, having not visted the island before, we want to see both San Antonio and Ibiza town. We know that the ship will dock near to Ibiza Town and that you can get a local bus across the island. They appear to run every 30 minutes - but how long does it take for the journey, as we would like to return to Ibiza Town in the afternoon for a look around there to, we are in port from 10am to 5pm - so realistically we will have from 10:30am to 3.30pm

We spent many happy holidays in Ibiza before we discovered cruising and loved the island. IMHO San Antonio is not an appealing resort unless you are in your late teens. The beach is Ok but the town is 'modern tourist'. Ibiza Town, on the other hand, is one of my all time favourite places. It has a wonderful old town where the castle is on the hill top and the seafront area is full of quirky shops, bars etc as well as 'the beautiful people' of all persuasions. There are many pretty resorts along the rugged coast line and busses are cheap, plentiful and reliable – Portinax and Santa Eulalia are very picturesque.

Have a great day there.

We spent many happy holidays in Ibiza before we discovered cruising and loved the island. IMHO San Antonio is not an appealing resort unless you are in your late teens. The beach is Ok but the town is 'modern tourist'. Ibiza Town, on the other hand, is one of my all time favourite places. It has a wonderful old town where the castle is on the hill top and the seafront area is full of quirky shops, bars etc as well as 'the beautiful people' of all persuasions. There are many pretty resorts along the rugged coast line and busses are cheap, plentiful and reliable – Portinax and Santa Eulalia are very picturesque.

Have a great day there.

Thanks for your post, soccerref! Very helpful. I think I will plan NOT to do one of the cruiseline's tours, and do it on our own. I definitely will make Ibiza Town our main stop, per your recommendation.

I'm also interested in Ses Salines -- worth the time? Recommendations?

Thanks!!

Santa Eulalia is very nice - or you could simply take a taxi to Figueretes which is the closest beach to Ibiza town and easy to get to. I agree with Socceref that San Antonio is a bit grim. Fine if you're a British or German Teenager (these seem to make up the majority of holiday makers there) but otherwise keep well away!

Ibiza Town is lovely and well worth making time to explore.

• 5 weeks later...

Our ship will be in Ibiza from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. in August. We are really not beach people. Any pointers on how to spend our day aside from looking around old town?

• 2 years later...

Have a great day there.

we'll be in Ibiza only one day--is it worthwhile to get a local guide or should we just hire a taxi? Thanks, Nancy

Well hiring a taxi in Ibiza Town might have limited usefulness, since the old town itself, as I remember, is quite hilly, with little winding streets. Nice to hear it's still a good place--I was there in 1970, long before Ibiza was discovered, and when San Antonio was pretty much just a beach. I had heard it is an awful place, glad to hear the town of Ibiza has not been totally ruined.

We once stayed in San Antonio Bay and rather than go into San Antonio centre would take the local bus to Ibiza Town most evenings (I seem to recall it took about 25 minutes) I would NOT recommend going to San Antonio - it's concrete and soulless, although quiet during the day as the young ones seem to sleep all day and party all night!

We are also going to Ibiza as a cruise stop and I'm finding it really difficult to get a feel for what we should do.

We will be there in October for a day and a half and, of course, there's no guarantee of good weather at that time. We would like to see the huge yachts around the Marina and perhaps also go to Santa eulilia which looks to be very pretty. There are also lots of small towns which might be interesting?

We don't want to self-drive but I'm wondering whether we should simply take a taxi or whether a guide would be useful. I have a feeling not. I've checked "Tourist guides for Ibiza" on the internet but haven't come up with anyone. Also, are taxis readily available, reasonably priced and how many people would they generally take? 4 or 6?

Lots of questions I know and any help would be very much appreciated.

Archived