What would it take......

I can't say that anything (non catastrophic) would really ruin a cruise. I've have bad parts of cruises but we generally just dealt with it and went on. The worst out of all our cruises was when we had a bad room (leaking water pipe from above = Mold), poor service (didn't fix leak/finally moved us on the last night), and mediocre food. All in all we still found ways to get over it and have fun.

Typically, after we get home we give our cruise a review number (1-10) and place it in our photo album that way we can remember if we really had a good time or not and know whether or not we'd do that cruise again. So far (fingers crossed) I've never given less than a 5.

Getting sick and being confined to the cabin. And on our first cruise we left our son at home with grandparents, so if something had happened to him while we were gone and I couldn't get to him, that would definitely ruin it for me. Otherwise, most everything can be dealt with. You can move away from bad tablemates, you could treat a storm as an adventure, you can brush off someone elses bad attitude. Although, if the person with the bad attitude was my husband and I had to share a cabin with him, I might be forced to make him sleep on the lido.

Bear with me...

Getting Noravirus and being confined to my stateroom and only limited to plain foods and no alcohol.

I understand being confined to my stateroom, and actually when I am sick with a cold or flu type illness I actually prefer to be by myself.

However, when I am sick, I get these food cravings which I can only describe to being comparable to the food cravings that women report when they are pregnant. To me these are comfort food, so just deliver the food of my choice (i will order of the menu) and a bottle of wine and I would be happy to stay in my room for several days, while catching up on my reading.

Trust me, with norovirus, you wouldn't be having any food cravings!

For me it would be a full-fledged evacuation and/or sinking. Other than that, can't imagine anything ruining my cruise. I always keep this in mind while on a cruise (and vacationing in general):

1. I am not at work.

2. I am not on a conference call for work.

3. I am not at work.

*Note: Items 1 and 3 keep me focused.

on our first cruise, we sailed on the Victory out of NY to canada in July,

The terminal had no AC, we were dripping wet when we got onboard, I had a horrific migraine and almost passed out during muster. They lost our drink coupons when we got re-seated for dinner. When they finally found them, we got charged for drinks even though we used coupons and I spent an hour on the last day atthe Purser's desk going thru receipts before it was all settled.

It rained every day and NOTHING was open on one day we were in port because it was Canada Day. There was virtually no recognition that it was the 4th of July.

We still had a great time and couldn't wait to go again...

Keeping in mind that a cruise like any other vacation is more about the experience and expectations of the individual. Therefore, the old, you can't please everyone comes to mind. There are some that just will NOT have a good time no matter what, or are looking for reasons to be unhappy. On the flip side, those such as myself would be hard pressed to put a string of events together that would RUIN my vacation!

Yeah, pretty much an unplanned swim in the middle of the ocean.

It really blows me away sometimes to see how peoples vacations are "ruined". Life is just too short for things to get to me. Certainly there are times where things are not as planned, but its vacation. Beats the salt mine...

Archived