El Cid, drinks and food? Gotten sick at Victors?

toezinthesand

I was planning to have the day at El Cid in Mazatlan, but after reading a bad review of it recently, it freaked me out. For those of you who have been there, did you find the drinks and the food good? Would you go back, or skip it and do something else?

After reading the bad review, I thought maybe I would do Randi's Happy Horses, and Victors. But then I read that a bunch of people got sick after eating at Victor's and that it seems very unsanitary.

I'm not a major germ-aphobe. I normally don't worry too much about stuff like that, but it would really ruin my vacation if I got sick!

We did El Cid a couple weeks ago. Overall, my family had a good time. The food and drinks were ok...nothing big deal by any means, but no one got sick or anything like that. In the end, the cost for a family of three was about $125 total (includes the day pass, tips, and cab fare). If they would have charged my son (he was seven years old...at least that is what the guy at the cruise terminal told me...in order to get him in free) it would have been another $25 or so. Personally, I would have rather enjoyed the "free" food on the ship, and just ordered drinks from the pool bar...which would not have even come close to our total bill for El Cid, but it was a different experience than the ship, and the kids liked the pool at the El Cid. I don't think I'll do the El Cid again, but mainly because we have done it twice now, and I am ready for something different.

By the way, there was a lady on our zip line tour who had fallen off a horse at Randi's horses. She was in pretty bad shape the rest of the cruise. I am not trying to say that Randi's horses have problems or anything, just that it would have been a bummer to have half the cruise in pain due to falling off a horse!

We have not had any problems with food in Mexico in over 5 years. The main difference between the El Cid and Stone Island is. You will likely spend less $ and have more sand between your toes during a day at stone island

Stone Island

IMG_8430.jpg

Stone Island

IMG_8503.jpg

El Cid pool

IMG_4213-1.jpg

El Cid beach

IMG_4182-1.jpg

After reading the bad review, I thought maybe I would do Randi's Happy Horses, and Victors. But then I read that a bunch of people got sick after eating at Victor's and that it seems very unsanitary.

We have gone to Victors twice and been fine both times. In fact last time we were with a group of about 20 and everyone was fine.

The food is great, but it is "rustic". Its not Applebees, its a beach restarant in Mexico. That being said both times we ate and the food was great and everyone was fine.

People can sick from a lot of things just traveling can put stress on your body and make people sick. Not to say anyone didnt get sick, i think people just get a bit of a stomach bug and rush to blame it on the Mexican beach restarant when they could have just as easily got sick from not washing their hands, or picked up something on the ship, etc.

By the way, there was a lady on our zip line tour who had fallen off a horse at Randi's horses. She was in pretty bad shape the rest of the cruise. I am not trying to say that Randi's horses have problems or anything, just that it would have been a bummer to have half the cruise in pain due to falling off a horse!

Having done Randi's twice i find it hard to believe anyone could fall off one of her horses on the beach. They were so laid back, gentle and just walked the beach for the most part. But i guess people fall all the time in their houses so i suppose anything is possible.

I was planning to have the day at El Cid in Mazatlan, but after reading a bad review of it recently, it freaked me out. For those of you who have been there, did you find the drinks and the food good? Would you go back, or skip it and do something else?

I'm not a major germ-aphobe. I normally don't worry too much about stuff like that, but it would really ruin my vacation if I got sick!

We've eaten at Victor's several times and find it no more unsanitary than many other places in Mexico. The food is well cooked and have never had a bad lunch there.

Thank you for the info/pictures. If I go to stone island, is there a place to swim? I heard that water is not great...

Is it possible to not buy a day pass at El Cid, but just buy a couple drinks, and use the pool?

I've been to El Cid on a land vaca before and it was OK. Food wasn't that good, though we were on an AI plan, so I don't know what the prices were like.

Last time we went to SI, it was October. The water and beach area were lovely. Very relaxing, with a few waves. I'm going again in May, the week before you and I've read that the water may be a bit chilly, so keep that in mind when planning.

We went to a restaurant next door to Victor's, which is Lety's and had a great meal, drinks and relaxing day. When we got home, my son and I both had the stomach bug, but who knows where we got it from. Also, we didn't feel the effects until several days after our return. We ate in all 3 ports. This time I'll be eating plenty of yogurt to help fight off the attackers:D

If you go to Mexico or anywhere stressing about getting sick, you're not going to enjoy yourself. Have a great time and leave your worries behind.

We went to a restaurant next door to Victor's, which is Lety's and had a great meal, drinks and relaxing day. When we got home, my son and I both had the stomach bug, but who knows where we got it from. Also, we didn't feel the effects until several days after our return. We ate in all 3 ports. This time I'll be eating plenty of yogurt to help fight off the attackers:D

If you go to Mexico or anywhere stressing about getting sick, you're not going to enjoy yourself. Have a great time and leave your worries behind.

We ate at Lety's last week. Great, delicous food and wonderful friendly service. Will definitely go back!!! :D (No tummy issues either.)

Afcj1, I think a stomach bug would come on much quicker, usually within a few hours of eating bad food. So, I doubt that you got sick at Lety's. Most likely you got the bug after arriving home. :( ....We ate in all 3 ports and had no issues, thankfully!

We have not had any problems with food in Mexico in over 5 years. The main difference between the El Cid and Stone Island is. You will likely spend less $ and have more sand between your toes during a day at stone island

Stone Island

IMG_8430.jpg

Stone Island

IMG_8503.jpg

El Cid pool

IMG_4213-1.jpg

El Cid beach

IMG_4182-1.jpg

Please show some of your photos made in the Atrium of your ship. Thanx

Our family rode with Randi's last week and ate at Victors. Had a great time and nobody got sick. The garlic shrimp and coconut shrimp were delicious! Randi's horses are awesome! It was a highlight of our cruise.

Archived