Review of our 12 Day E. Mediterranean Cruise aboard the NCL Jade 3/7/2010

AuntieBarb

Debarkation:

This was by far the earliest and fastest disembarkation we have ever experienced. Color codes were being called as early as 6AM. Everyone is requested to be out of their staterooms by 8:30AM and off the ship by 9:30AM. We had a quick breakfast at the buffet and then prepared to leave.

Immediately down the escalator, we quickly found our luggage and off we went. The port area outside the terminal has a nice setup for queuing passengers waiting for a taxi, keeping everything orderly and hassle free.

Barcelona Post-Cruise:

We were back at Hotel Onix Liceo in no time flat, who kindly checked our luggage until our room was ready for early check-in. Meanwhile, we set out to have something to eat.

This time we ended up with an interior room at first, which was too small for our liking. For a small 20 euro upcharge, we were given a terrace room instead, which has an exterior terrace off the back side of the hotel and far more quiet. Very nice!

Then Paul and I were off to spend our day doing our own personal walking tour of La Ramblas, from Place de Catalunya down to the Christopher Columbus Monument and back. We stopped at Hard Rock Café for our Barcelona t-shirts. We also walked through the "St Josep de La Boqueria", a public market, and enjoyed some Mediterranean Clams & Octopus for lunch. What a great afternoon we had!

13305_1354028647552_1136504775_1068.jpg

15725_1356915319717_1136504775_1075.jpg

15725_1356927040010_1136504775_1075.jpg

15725_1356928080036_1136504775_1075.jpg

15725_1356928400044_1136504775_1075.jpg

15725_1356928720052_1136504775_1075.jpg

We finished off our last day there with dinner at the same restaurant we ate at before, a stop for some Churros & Chocolate for dessert, taking in a show “Opera Flamenco” at the Teatre Poliorama and back to the hotel to prepare for our flight home in the morning.

Barcelona, we’ll be back!

Going Home:

With a 10AM flight from BCN to JFK, we requested a taxi for 7AM since the airport is reportedly a ½ hour drive from the hotel. One was waiting for us as requested, but our trip was much quicker than expected; not because the distance was overstated, but because our taxi drove like a “bat out of hell” to get there. The highways were clear, except for other taxis, and we arrived within 15 minutes. LOL

Prior to leaving for our trip, I changed our AA notifications to go to my husband’s cell phone. Much to my dismay, we found out our flight was delayed an hour and Uncle Paulie never received a notification. I knew I should have checked at the hotel. We could have slept in another hour! LOL

American Airlines may not have gone on strike, but as many know British Airways did. Those who chose to stay overnight in Barcelona post-cruise were certainly in a predicament. Subsequently, AA was overbooked. We were offered a bump, but declined. Come to find out a family we met on the cruise were offered a bump the day we debarked for hotel + $400/pp, which they accepted. Then they took another bump the day after for hotel + $600/pp. Not too shabby! Darn, I wish we could have justified staying another day!

Anyways, we had decided to forego breakfast and have a bite to eat at the airport. This was not a problem, but the only place to have typical breakfast faire was McDonald’s. Not! Instead, we chose to eat at an eatery serving pizza & pasta. Much to our delight, the tortellini was wonderful!

As we made our way to the gate, we found that this brand new terminal only had about 40 seats for a flight of approximately 260 passengers. Duh! All the seats were already taken once we arrived, so I sat on my luggage. Then it turned out our gate changed to the one adjacent to ours. Add insult to injury, there was no plane outside. We had to be bused to our plane, sitting out on the tarmac somewhere! Not fun lugging our carry-ons (ya know the ones with wheels?) down metal steps to board the shuttle bus.

Aw, but we did finally board the plane and had an incident free flight home, short of some occasional turbulence. Knowing 2 stewards on the flight made it all that more enjoyable too! Getting over our jet lag took a few days, but we’re well and returned without any Noro, Mummy Tummy, Hepatitis or the like.

It was a trip of a lifetime for us and we had a wonderful trip !!!! Thank you so much for listening!

We are on an abbreviated version of this itinerary this summer. As I read your reviews of the ports we have in common, I am taking notes so I follow your lead. We laughed out loud when we read about the Hardrock T-Shirts in Barcelona. We make a point to buy Hardrock T-Shirts for our family every time we visit a place where there is a Hardrock Cafe. You know the joke about someone in the family visits a certain place and all they bring back is a T-Shirt. We have enjoyed the review and the pics. Thanks so much for sharing.

What a wonderfully illustrated and informative review! I have never been so excited about taking a cruise based on one review alone, as I have with yours. Thanks for taking the time to put this together.

We are booked on this same itinerary on the Jade in November and hope to have half the good times you and DH did. Thanks again.

You are very welcome. Glad you enjoyed it!

I can only imagine the anticipation you are experiencing, as we did for over 2 years. I will look forward to hearing about your adventure as well. Enjoy your cruise!

We are on an abbreviated version of this itinerary this summer. As I read your reviews of the ports we have in common, I am taking notes so I follow your lead. We laughed out loud when we read about the Hardrock T-Shirts in Barcelona. We make a point to buy Hardrock T-Shirts for our family every time we visit a place where there is a Hardrock Cafe. You know the joke about someone in the family visits a certain place and all they bring back is a T-Shirt. We have enjoyed the review and the pics. Thanks so much for sharing.

Thanks for reading! Yes, we used to do the "all they bought us was this damn t-shirt" thing too! LOL

:) We try to get Hard Rock Cafe t-shirts wherever we go, but we specifically buy the authentic, can't buy them anywhere else ones with the HC logo stitched on the sleeve. This year's version for Barcelona didn't have the logo, but we still bought them. If ever there was a spot during our visit which made us subject to pick pockets, it was at HRC. The counter for t-shirts was in an area about the size of a bathroom, jammed packed with people!

Sometimes I hesitate to wear them. Unfortunately I had borrowed my husband's from St. Thomas a few years back by accident and stained it. :( So I was to make sure to replace it. The last time we were in St. Thomas we specifically took a taxi to HRC in order to do so. Come to find out they closed down. :eek: Guess who had to give up their t-shirt?

Enjoy your cruise and be sure to let us know all about it! :) What's your itinerary?

Oh my gosh, thank you for the wonderful review and the awesome pictures. My husband and I will be on the Jade 3 weeks from tomorrow and it looks like a beautiful ship. Our first time with a balcony, BB on deck 9 and I'm sure it will be beautiful. Thanks again for sharing your cruise!:o

What a lousy thread hostess I am! I missed your post. My apologies and thank you very much.

Gosh, you must be getting excited! Headed out April 25th? I hope the Iceland volcano ash situation doesn't affect your travels!!!!!

Thanks for the pictures. We were in Barcelona in Nov. of 08. We had to lug our carryons up and down stairs to/from the plane when we got to Barcelona and when we left. I felt sorry for the older people who had large heavy bags. That's when I decided to take as many trips as possible while we can still handle our bags. I think it's common to have to do that in BCE. We were on Delta.

Thanks for the pictures. We were in Barcelona in Nov. of 08. We had to lug our carryons up and down stairs to/from the plane when we got to Barcelona and when we left. I felt sorry for the older people who had large heavy bags. That's when I decided to take as many trips as possible while we can still handle our bags. I think it's common to have to do that in BCE. We were on Delta.

You're welcome and thanks for reading.

Sorry to hear you went through that twice, but have to agree with traveling now while we can! Can't imagine older folks having to lug their carry-on luggage up/down those metal spiral staircases. It didn't appear as if there was anyone to assist either.

All in all, our experience at BCN was about the only downside to the trip. Well, short of my camel ride that is! LOL

I enjoyed your trip...Lovely photos, good descriptions, excellent advice (especially about the camel scam). I had no idea that Malta was so lovely. I will have to add it to my list of places to visit.

Thanks for "cruising" with me! :) It was a very special trip for us. Now I'm wishing for the other Med destinations and hoping hubby jumps on board that idea!

Barb,

Thanks for the wonderful review and pictures. It brought back many wonderful memories as we did the same trip back on 1/3/2010. Very interesting to see the details of your Cairo overnight. We were fogged out of Alexandria, so our Overnight excursion didn't leave until a little after noon. The first day was non stop - and we didn't check into our room until midnight. But what unbelievable sights!

I did buy a rug in Turkey, about 9' X 5'. I was able to get them to come down from the original price, to the price I was willing to pay (Which did include shipping costs). I signed the back of the rug with a black marker and back on the ship I wondered if I would ever see that rug again! Well, about 10 weeks after returning home, the rug was delivered - by FedEx - and it looks absolutely beautiful in my living room! I don't regret the purchase at all!

Thanks again for the great review and enjoy your next cruise!

gym2

Very interesting to see the details of your Cairo overnight. We were fogged out of Alexandria, so our Overnight excursion didn't leave until a little after noon. The first day was non stop - and we didn't check into our room until midnight. But what unbelievable sights!

I had read about the port delay. Day 1 must have been exhausting for you! Even at a more leisurely pace, it didn't take us long to drift off once our heads hit that pillow!

I did buy a rug in Turkey, about 9' X 5'. I was able to get them to come down from the original price, to the price I was willing to pay (Which did include shipping costs). I signed the back of the rug with a black marker and back on the ship I wondered if I would ever see that rug again! Well, about 10 weeks after returning home, the rug was delivered - by FedEx - and it looks absolutely beautiful in my living room! I don't regret the purchase at all!

Thank you for the feedback! It's great to hear your carpet made it to you! We had our eyes on an 8X12 with natural thread (not that we needed it) and they did drop the price considerably towards the end of our visit, but we'd heard a few horror stories and were afraid to risk it. Good move on marking the back of the carpet too!

The things I love about cruising; especially with NCL!

Our dinner with Armando DeSilva, Hotel Director

15725_1355853893182_1136504775_1072.jpg

Am I missing something, or does your husband bear a very striking resemblance to Armando? Of course Paul looks much younger!

Am I missing something, or does your husband bear a very striking resemblance to Armando? Of course Paul looks much younger!

ROFL....I'll have to pass that along to Uncle Paulie too. No, I assure you, they are not related. :)

Thanks for the review and pictures. We are going to Egypt in December on Brilliance of the Seas - I can't wait to see the pyramids!

Thank you! I couldn't wait either and still don't believe I was there. It was so surreal!

my husband and I are taking our first cruise and we have decided on the eastern med on the JADE. We leave Jan 23rd, 2011. We were told the weather can be damp and cool but ok with that. Thank you so much for such a detailed review as well as the wonderful pictures and your sense of humour.

my husband and I are taking our first cruise and we have decided on the eastern med on the JADE. We leave Jan 23rd, 2011. We were told the weather can be damp and cool but ok with that. Thank you so much for such a detailed review as well as the wonderful pictures and your sense of humour.

You're welcome! Glad you enjoyed it !

First cruise AND that amazing itinerary all wrapped up into one? Wow, that's like sending a little kid into a penny candy store to get anything they want. I'm excited for you!

My Husband and I are going on this very cruise next April on the Jade. We loved your pictures and review. I think I am more excited than my husband as he has never cruised before. I have been doing so much research on things to do in the ports. Thanks again for the review.

Chonda

My Husband and I are going on this very cruise next April on the Jade. We loved your pictures and review. I think I am more excited than my husband as he has never cruised before. I have been doing so much research on things to do in the ports. Thanks again for the review.

Chonda

You are very welcome!

I do hope your husband joins in on the enthusiasm. Enjoy your cruise!

Hi AuntieBarb!

Welcome home and I'm glad to hear you and uncle Paulie had a fabulous trip! The itinerary sounds amazing! We're still working on Alaska or bust in 2011, but maybe I can convince DH to do the Med later on, and on a cruise may be the only way I'll ever get to see Egypt... And for what it's worth, I have a feeling I'd have been right there with you being terrified of my camel after getting on one considering I already have a habit of panicking at the last second and doing stupid things like not being able to let go of the ladder on the boat while going snorkeling. :p

Curious - did you actually climb the steeple stairs in La Segrada Familia? I was in Barcelona several years ago and it's a beautiful city. The pickpockets however, are plentiful and in many cases are kids. While you won't get harassed or any threats to your safety, it's still not uncommon no matter where you are to find later that you have some things missing despite not being around crowds. We were traveling for a work conference, and my boss had her purse stolen in the hotel lobby while we were all having lunch.

Question about the European itineraries - would the excursions been feasible w/ a child/were there families w/ kids on any of them? That might be a factor in when we could consider this trip - whether our munchkin could come with us or if we would need to see if grandma was up for a week or so's visit.

Hi AuntieBarb!

Welcome home and I'm glad to hear you and uncle Paulie had a fabulous trip! The itinerary sounds amazing! We're still working on Alaska or bust in 2011, but maybe I can convince DH to do the Med later on, and on a cruise may be the only way I'll ever get to see Egypt... And for what it's worth, I have a feeling I'd have been right there with you being terrified of my camel after getting on one considering I already have a habit of panicking at the last second and doing stupid things like not being able to let go of the ladder on the boat while going snorkeling. :p

Curious - did you actually climb the steeple stairs in La Segrada Familia? I was in Barcelona several years ago and it's a beautiful city. The pickpockets however, are plentiful and in many cases are kids. While you won't get harassed or any threats to your safety, it's still not uncommon no matter where you are to find later that you have some things missing despite not being around crowds. We were traveling for a work conference, and my boss had her purse stolen in the hotel lobby while we were all having lunch.

Question about the European itineraries - would the excursions been feasible w/ a child/were there families w/ kids on any of them? That might be a factor in when we could consider this trip - whether our munchkin could come with us or if we would need to see if grandma was up for a week or so's visit.

Well hello there, Gigi! How've you been? ;) Thanks for dropping by!

Knowing this was probably our only hope of seeing Egypt was a factor for us too. Quite an expensive trip in comparison to floating around the Carib (or Bermuda :D ), but well worth it in our minds.

We would have enjoyed going inside, but unfortunately we weren't able to do much more than walk around the La Sagrada Familia and take pictures. Otherwise we had other things on our agenda while in Barcelona and never got back there. Hopefully we'll return someday.

The excursions in Turkey and Egypt (and Greece had we gone) would probably be fine with kids, seeing how they get fidgety and need time to burn up pent up energy! LOL They could do that no problem and still be kept in close range. Rome, especially at the Vatican, would probably have tried my patience with "bored kids" and having to keep a watchful eye at all times to keep them close at hand. Then again, there are probably private excursions that can be fine tuned to be more "kid friendly".

Enjoy Alaska! We hope to get there as well in the not so distant future. Actually I originally had Alaska booked before switching to the Med.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Barb!

Thanks for the great reviews and pictures. We are planning the same itiniery in November for our honeymoon. This definitely got me excited and antsy for it to get here!

We have been trying to decide if we should book private tours vs. ship tours and I really appreciate your review of the NCL tours. Approx. how many people were in your tour groups? I am not so much concerned about the price of the excursions, but more the number of people detracting from the overall experience.

Thank you!

Sherilyn

Hi Barb,

Thank you so much for your detailed adventures & photos. We head off on Nov 21st on the same cruise - only 6mths to go! It is my husband Paul and my first cruise, so we are very excited :)

Cheers,

Bel

• 4 weeks later...

Could you tell me how much $$$ your excursions ran? I looked on the website for NCL and can't seem to get any pricing. We are thinking of going next year. Especially the one to Cairo.

Do you think you would have gone at a different time of year - warmer?-if you knew the kind of weather you were going to have in March?

Also, what kind of preparations for Egypt did you have to make? You mentioned something about the passports.

It's important to us to get to Greece...have you heard that this is a usual thing to cancel Athens?

Hi Barb,

Thank you so much for your detailed adventures & photos. We head off on Nov 21st on the same cruise - only 6mths to go! It is my husband Paul and my first cruise, so we are very excited :)

Cheers,

Bel

We will be on your sailing, missbelinda77, and it's also our first cruise! Yay for people like AuntieBarb who post such useful and detailed information for newbies like us. Also glad to see you're from Sydney - I went to UNSW!

Archived