Review of our 12 Day E. Mediterranean Cruise aboard the NCL Jade 3/7/2010

AuntieBarb

Could you tell me how much $$$ your excursions ran? I looked on the website for NCL and can't seem to get any pricing. We are thinking of going next year. Especially the one to Cairo.

Do you think you would have gone at a different time of year - warmer?-if you knew the kind of weather you were going to have in March?

Also, what kind of preparations for Egypt did you have to make? You mentioned something about the passports.

It's important to us to get to Greece...have you heard that this is a usual thing to cancel Athens?

I'm not Auntie Barb, but we did this same cruise on the Jade a little bit earlier than she did, which put us in Egypt the very first week in February. The temperature there (and in Turkey) was perfect for touring. Much later in the year, and it would be unbearably hot. Yes, it was cool in the rest of the ports (and rainy in Rome), but the crowds were relatively small and I thought the winter was an excellent time for a Med cruise going to such popular ports. Just don't expect to be lounging around the pool on sea days (though we did have one where we could).

An overnight in Cairo is not cheap, but it's more expensive to do it on an NCL sponsored tour than with a private tour, and you'll see less. (Go on the ports of call portion of this board, do a search, and you'll find many recommendations for reputable tour guides in Egypt.) We used a private tour operator in Egypt, stayed overnight in Cairo (at the fantastic Oberoi Mena House), and paid, if I recall correctly, $260 US per person (not including tips). (Visitors need a visa to enter Egypt, but folks arriving by cruise ship are given a "quick trip" stamp in their passports that is put on while you are aboard the ship, your passports having been collected by NCL when you embark in Barcelona and given back before the ship docks in Alexandria.)

Finally, if Greece is "a must," let me pass along advice from others on this board -- if any port on a cruise is "a must," and there's any possiblity the ship could skip it, you should strongly consider a land tour. There are no guarantees with cruises. I've read that ships miss some ports occasionally in the Med because of weather. And with the political problems still going on in Greece, who knows?

While our cruise did dock in Athens (Piraeus, actually), everyone aboard missed being able to enter the Acropolis because 1. we were late arriving in Piraeus because of rough seas on the day between Rome and Athens and, 2. once we docked in Piraeus, Greek authorities would not clear the ship for an entire hour, while they took their sweet old time going through everyone's passport or who knows what else. By the time we were able to go ashore, it was too late for anyone to get to the Acropolis before it closed. (We saw it, of course, but couldn't enter.) We also lost half a day in Egypt, as authorities there held the ship up for five hours while they did a health inspection. (We were on one of the sailings with a nororvirus outbreak.)

My point is that, when traveling, stuff happens... Gotta role with it...

Despite the drawbacks mentioned above, we had a fantastic time. The Jade is a wonderful ship, and this was a terrific itinerary.

• 1 month later...

My apologies for responding so late. I haven't visited this thread in a while!

Hi Barb,

Thank you so much for your detailed adventures & photos. We head off on Nov 21st on the same cruise - only 6mths to go! It is my husband Paul and my first cruise, so we are very excited :)

Cheers,

Bel

You're very welcome, Bel. 4 months now! It was a trip of a lifetime for us and hope you enjoy it every bit as much as we did; even if it rains in Rome!

Could you tell me how much $$$ your excursions ran? I looked on the website for NCL and can't seem to get any pricing. We are thinking of going next year. Especially the one to Cairo.

Do you think you would have gone at a different time of year - warmer?-if you knew the kind of weather you were going to have in March?

Also, what kind of preparations for Egypt did you have to make? You mentioned something about the passports.

It's important to us to get to Greece...have you heard that this is a usual thing to cancel Athens?

I support Turtles06 response to your question.

As for weather, I think the time of year we went was great. If it had been warmer in the beginning of the cruise, no doubt Turkey and Egypt would have been uncomfortably hot. Rain in Rome is a possibility anytime. So it rained on our parade and dampened our enjoyment outside, but we still got to the Vatican! :)

We only booked Cairo with NCL for "peace of mind", given the location and being our 1st time over there. In the future, we'd probably go with a private operator, as there are several mentioned here at CC with great reviews.

NCL displays the excursion cost per person, but you need to be in the process of booking the excursion - not just the port excursion descriptions section of their website. We paid $499/pp for our overnight excursion to Cairo, which is definitely high compared to SOME private tours but we don't regret one penny of it regardless.

We will be on your sailing, missbelinda77, and it's also our first cruise! Yay for people like AuntieBarb who post such useful and detailed information for newbies like us. Also glad to see you're from Sydney - I went to UNSW!

Happy to hear it was useful to you!

However Sydney? I'm not from Sydney.

AuntieBarb - you are wonderful! That was a fantastic report that we loved reading because it is what we will be doing next April! Thank you!

Glad you enjoyed it and thank you for reading! Enjoy your trip and make sure you come back to tell us all about it!

Hi Barb!

Thanks for the great reviews and pictures. We are planning the same itiniery in November for our honeymoon. This definitely got me excited and antsy for it to get here!

We have been trying to decide if we should book private tours vs. ship tours and I really appreciate your review of the NCL tours. Approx. how many people were in your tour groups? I am not so much concerned about the price of the excursions, but more the number of people detracting from the overall experience.

Thank you!

Sherilyn

Sherilyn, the size of our tour groups varied. Our excursion to Rome was an "Exclusive" group, riding in a mini-bus with perhaps 16? I can't really remember the exact count. Now there were other groups, but they all went about on their own and had lunch at different locations as well.

Our walking tour in Sicily (substitution for Greece) involved bus loads over to Taormina and then 1 guide per bus load. Ephesus and Cairo were 1 guide per bus load as well. The crowds at these ports had no effect on the flow or enjoyment of our tours, except for the museum in Cairo which was packed but thinned out as we got further away from the front entrance.

I'm not Auntie Barb, but we did this same cruise on the Jade a little bit earlier than she did, which put us in Egypt the very first week in February.

Thanks for contributing in my absence! ;)

Thanks for contributing in my absence! ;)

Hi Barb! (and Paul!)

You still don't have a cruise booked? My cruise credit that I bought on the Jade was burning a hole in my pocket so I HAD to use it. :D

Pam

AuntieBarb....I have been agonizing between an itinerary similar to yours and one in the Carib. I did a B2B out of Barcelona 7-day western Med and it was absolutely fantastic and I want to go back. Greece and Egypt are on my list of must-sees. And, I have that cruise credit I need to use up too. (I guess it's an illness to keep purchasing those on board future credits, but a good one)

Thank you so much for the great review and I think you helped me make up my mind. I am looking at an itinerary that starts from either Rome or Barcelona and ends up in Venice...............can not wait!!!

Hi Barb! (and Paul!)

You still don't have a cruise booked? My cruise credit that I bought on the Jade was burning a hole in my pocket so I HAD to use it. :D

Pam

There IS something terribly wrong with that, right? OMG, why do you think I'm back to posting over here? I am suffering from PCD terribly...and we've got not just 1 cruise credit but 2 to book!!!!

The Med cruise - although well worth it and wouldn't have changed a thing - has gobbled up the cruise "reserves" for a spell. We've got 2 in college this fall and well....we've got to recoup before we can set sail again. :(

So where are you headed this time, Pam?

AuntieBarb....I have been agonizing between an itinerary similar to yours and one in the Carib. I did a B2B out of Barcelona 7-day western Med and it was absolutely fantastic and I want to go back. Greece and Egypt are on my list of must-sees. And, I have that cruise credit I need to use up too. (I guess it's an illness to keep purchasing those on board future credits, but a good one)

Thank you so much for the great review and I think you helped me make up my mind. I am looking at an itinerary that starts from either Rome or Barcelona and ends up in Venice...............can not wait!!!

Glad to hear and I'm excited for you! Did you book it yet? :D

(Yes, cruise certificates obviously serve as our way of dealing with PCD! LOL)

There IS something terribly wrong with that, right? OMG, why do you think I'm back to posting over here? I am suffering from PCD terribly...and we've got not just 1 cruise credit but 2 to book!!!!

The Med cruise - although well worth it and wouldn't have changed a thing - has gobbled up the cruise "reserves" for a spell. We've got 2 in college this fall and well....we've got to recoup before we can set sail again. :(

So where are you headed this time, Pam?

We used it to book POA in Hawaii for my 50th birthday!

I couldn't decide so I booked two cruises next year. 12 Day Eastern r/t from Barcelona that will enable me to enjoy Egypt and a bit of Greece. And then later in the year I am doing a 15 day from Venice to Rome heavy on the Greek Islands! The Jade looks beautiful..........sister to the Gem!

WOW This review is great... I am going on the Jade in March of 2011.. This was very informative and gave my mom a sigh of relief once she saw all of your pictures. I cant wait to go! Thanks so much for taking the time to post this.

• 1 month later...
Egypt continued.......

Day 2: This morning’s agenda was the Step Pyramid Complex of Sakkara, where we also went inside a tomb; then Memphis, where the Limestone "Colossus of Ramses II" is on display.

Note: We never saw the "Colossus of Ramses II". We're parading all around the grounds at Memphis in search of it, but had no clue it was inside a building! Duh!

13305_1354284453947_1136504775_1068.jpg

13305_1354288934059_1136504775_1068.jpg

13305_1354363775930_1136504775_1068.jpg

And then we were on our way to the Giza Plateau! But first we have a special stop in store for us!

My long time dream was to be riding a camel with the pyramids before me. Today was my day, as our guide had arranged rides at $10/pp for those interested. Let me tell you all about it! LOL

13305_1352230002587_1136504775_1064.jpg

There were literally herds of them on top of this hill. Most everyone in our group - including Paul - were already on their camels and lining up for their ride. ... Now it's Barb's turn.

With my left foot in the stirrup, I attempt to swing my right leg over the camel. Well, I had my purse and camera around my neck, which immediately got stuck as I'm trying to mount him! LOL Then the guy assisting me, takes my leg and swings it around for me. (Embarrassing to say the least!)

Now the camel has to stand up. He tells me "Lean back". OMG! I immediately freaked out. You see, I had one stirrup that I could not reach once on this camel. All I had to balance was the peg in the front and back! I started screaming to get me off of him right now! Thankfully our guide was nearby and she made sure the guy got me down. I was shaking once I got off and told them "That's it. I'm done! You can keep my money!" ROFL

Our guide offered my money back, but they did find a camel with 2 stirrups and thankfully my feet could reach them both. So off I went to catch up with the group. (Yeah right!) Paul was laughing and taking pics of me. LOL

As this kid is leading my camel (he had control of two of us), someone else was having difficulty. So what does he do? He lets go of our camels to go and assist. I'm thinking, OMG if this camel takes off I'm going to kill somebody! LOL Thankfully my worries were for naught.

Then the kid (He must have been around 9 years old) looks up at me and asks if I'm American. After which he says to me "Go Obama!". I wasn't going to get into a pissing match with the kid in charge of my ride, so I just frowned. Then he says, "So you liked Bush?". This all from a young Egyptian! Argh!

As I pass Paul, who is now returning on the last leg of his ride, I asked the man beside me if he minded if we cut our ride short. LOL He says "I am so glad you said that! I didn't want to ruin your ride!" LOL With that, we told the kid it was time to turn around. Believe me, I couldn't wait to get down!

But I did get the photo depicting my long time dream! Oh and BTW....After Paul's ride was over, his camel went to bite him (tore his shirt) and knocked him to the ground!

13305_1352009317070_1136504775_1063.jpg

Love this story!

I loved your March 2010 NLC Jade 12 Day E. Mediterrean Cruise review. I am going on the same cruise almost a year (to date) from your cruise and you certainly have given me some insight. I had no idea the weather would be so cool. (I'm a Texan and March weather is not cold.) Most everyone was wearing light waterproof jackets. The camel escapade was hilarious. I am a short female and I am apprehensive about getting on a camel myself. I saw some animal drawn carts in some pictures. I was wondering if that would be another option to getting around besides the camel ride? You did not mention the camel's smell. I have heard they really smell bad. Anyway, it amazed me how you had time to write (in detail) all that you did during your cruise. Keep it up. You are fun to read! Bet46

I loved your March 2010 NLC Jade 12 Day E. Mediterrean Cruise review. I am going on the same cruise almost a year (to date) from your cruise and you certainly have given me some insight. I had no idea the weather would be so cool. (I'm a Texan and March weather is not cold.) Most everyone was wearing light waterproof jackets. The camel escapade was hilarious. I am a short female and I am apprehensive about getting on a camel myself. I saw some animal drawn carts in some pictures. I was wondering if that would be another option to getting around besides the camel ride? You did not mention the camel's smell. I have heard they really smell bad. Anyway, it amazed me how you had time to write (in detail) all that you did during your cruise. Keep it up. You are fun to read! Bet46

Hi Bet: I've been to Cairo and the pyramids so I might be able to answer some of your questions.

The camels do smell. They don't look that clean and I chickened out at the last minute but my daughter rode one and loved it. Our group had no problem having to pay for camels to get off of them. Some other threads mentioned this. The only problem I encountered was taking a picture of my friends on the camel and the guy chasing and hunting me down on the bus for $. I just ignored him.

I plan on doing this cruise in Dec 2012. I really want to get my nerve up to ride the camel. I'm short too and scared of heights, but I'm going to do it!

Feel free to ask me any questions. It's a trip of a lifetime!

I am also short, don't even ride horses, and was a little apprehensive about getting on a camel last Feb. at the Pyramids when we were on this same Jade itinerary. However, there was no way I was going to be in Giza and not ride a camel. So I did it, and of course am totally glad I did.

Just be prepared for the fact that when the camel stands up, it does so from its hind legs first, so you will feel as though you are going to be thrown over its head. Just lean back as it stands up, and hang on. You are up pretty high, and I think I had a death grip on the saddle horn for quite some time, but finally got comfortable and really enjoyed myself. And my camel didn't smell, either. :)

Just do it, you'll be glad you did!

I am also short, don't even ride horses, and was a little apprehensive about getting on a camel last Feb. at the Pyramids when we were on this same Jade itinerary. However, there was no way I was going to be in Giza and not ride a camel. So I did it, and of course am totally glad I did.

Just be prepared for the fact that when the camel stands up, it does so from its hind legs first, so you will feel as though you are going to be thrown over its head. Just lean back as it stands up, and hang on. You are up pretty high, and I think I had a death grip on the saddle horn for quite some time, but finally got comfortable and really enjoyed myself. And my camel didn't smell, either. :)

Just do it, you'll be glad you did!

Good advice. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
WOW This review is great... I am going on the Jade in March of 2011.. This was very informative and gave my mom a sigh of relief once she saw all of your pictures. I cant wait to go! Thanks so much for taking the time to post this.

Thank you...You are most certainly welcome! I'm glad it helped your mom put her fears to rest.

We still talk about returning. It was such a rewarding adventure and a trip we will never forget!

Spring can be so unpredictable. The only time we were really uncomfortable was while touring in Rome. Hopefully your trip will be nothing but blue skies and nice temperatures!

I don't recall any drawn carts as an option for tourists. To my knowledge, they were in use by excavators. Although I could have missed such an opportunity with all my apprehension about the camel! lol (Yes, the camels had a certain odor about them, but not too terrible in my opinion.)

Sharing our cruise adventures is the type of feedback I've enjoyed here for years. I hope you'll do the same when you return!

Our group had no problem having to pay for camels to get off of them. Some other threads mentioned this. The only problem I encountered was taking a picture of my friends on the camel and the guy chasing and hunting me down on the bus for $. I just ignored him.

I plan on doing this cruise in Dec 2012. I really want to get my nerve up to ride the camel. I'm short too and scared of heights, but I'm going to do it!

Feel free to ask me any questions. It's a trip of a lifetime!

Happy to hear they didn't manage to scam you out of any money. I have found there are a lot of places (not just Egypt) where folks feel the privilege to ask for money when they or their property are involved in photo opportunities. We had a similar experience in Antigua, merely for taking a picture of a woman with a bundle of fruit on her head. Just remember they aren't as fortunate as we are. A small tip will keep them happy.

Hopefully you'll get up the nerve to ride a camel on your next trip. Be sure to come back and tell us all about it! :D

An excellent thread, thank you. We are doing this cruise next March for our fortieth anniversary. I would add that anyone who can do a full tour of Egypt (with all its problems and irritations) should. We had a few days in Cairo (Mena House) followed by Luxor, a Nile cruise and Lake Nasser to Abu Simbal followed by a week of R & R at Sharm al Sheik. It is an utterly overwhelming experience and totally unique.

New Salt

• 2 weeks later...
Egypt continued.......

Day 2: This morning’s agenda was the Step Pyramid Complex of Sakkara, where we also went inside a tomb; then Memphis, where the Limestone "Colossus of Ramses II" is on display.

Note: We never saw the "Colossus of Ramses II". We're parading all around the grounds at Memphis in search of it, but had no clue it was inside a building! Duh!

13305_1354284453947_1136504775_1068.jpg

13305_1354288934059_1136504775_1068.jpg

13305_1354363775930_1136504775_1068.jpg

And then we were on our way to the Giza Plateau! But first we have a special stop in store for us!

My long time dream was to be riding a camel with the pyramids before me. Today was my day, as our guide had arranged rides at $10/pp for those interested. Let me tell you all about it! LOL

13305_1352230002587_1136504775_1064.jpg

There were literally herds of them on top of this hill. Most everyone in our group - including Paul - were already on their camels and lining up for their ride. ... Now it's Barb's turn.

With my left foot in the stirrup, I attempt to swing my right leg over the camel. Well, I had my purse and camera around my neck, which immediately got stuck as I'm trying to mount him! LOL Then the guy assisting me, takes my leg and swings it around for me. (Embarrassing to say the least!)

Now the camel has to stand up. He tells me "Lean back". OMG! I immediately freaked out. You see, I had one stirrup that I could not reach once on this camel. All I had to balance was the peg in the front and back! I started screaming to get me off of him right now! Thankfully our guide was nearby and she made sure the guy got me down. I was shaking once I got off and told them "That's it. I'm done! You can keep my money!" ROFL

Our guide offered my money back, but they did find a camel with 2 stirrups and thankfully my feet could reach them both. So off I went to catch up with the group. (Yeah right!) Paul was laughing and taking pics of me. LOL

As this kid is leading my camel (he had control of two of us), someone else was having difficulty. So what does he do? He lets go of our camels to go and assist. I'm thinking, OMG if this camel takes off I'm going to kill somebody! LOL Thankfully my worries were for naught.

Then the kid (He must have been around 9 years old) looks up at me and asks if I'm American. After which he says to me "Go Obama!". I wasn't going to get into a pissing match with the kid in charge of my ride, so I just frowned. Then he says, "So you liked Bush?". This all from a young Egyptian! Argh!

As I pass Paul, who is now returning on the last leg of his ride, I asked the man beside me if he minded if we cut our ride short. LOL He says "I am so glad you said that! I didn't want to ruin your ride!" LOL With that, we told the kid it was time to turn around. Believe me, I couldn't wait to get down!

But I did get the photo depicting my long time dream! Oh and BTW....After Paul's ride was over, his camel went to bite him (tore his shirt) and knocked him to the ground!

13305_1352009317070_1136504775_1063.jpg

I was reading Jade reviews and came upon this thread. We will be on the Jade for our Holy Land cruise in Nov 2011. Glad you enjoyed your trip and thanks for the review and thoughts about the ship.

Had so much fun reading your camel story...it was hilarious. Asked my DH if he is planning to ride a camel in Egypt he said "heck yes!". But he did not know that they bite!!! Did you get a picture of Paul when his camel bit him and knocked him to the ground?

Embarkation:

It just so happened that there was a marathon in town this morning, which involved La Ramblas down and around the Christopher Columbus Monument, blocking direct access to get to port from our side of the city. Top it off, Hotel Onix Liceo is on a one way street, which just by luck goes towards La Ramblas! *sigh*. When we asked the front desk clerk to call a taxi for getting to port, he just chuckled and said there was no way that could happen until the marathon was finished. So off we go on foot, with luggage in tow, towards the port area.

In hindsight, we should have waited to hail a taxi until there was sufficient break in the marathon action that police would let us cross over to the port side. Unfortunately our sights were set on getting to the terminal a.s.a.p., so we hailed the first taxi we could. The taxi driver (who didn’t speak an ounce of English) tried to forewarn us by motioning that it would involve all kinds of lefts & rights. Even a kind gentleman passing by, who translated for us, conveyed the same message. Nonetheless, we got in the taxi. You have no idea how far out of our way we had to go to get there – to the tune of 50 euro including tip! Lesson learned….LOL!

Auntie Barb...

Do you know if this is an annual event off hand... I hope I dont have this same problem...

~Dawn

Thank you...You are most certainly welcome! I'm glad it helped your mom put her fears to rest.

We still talk about returning. It was such a rewarding adventure and a trip we will never forget!

Spring can be so unpredictable. The only time we were really uncomfortable was while touring in Rome. Hopefully your trip will be nothing but blue skies and nice temperatures!

I don't recall any drawn carts as an option for tourists. To my knowledge, they were in use by excavators. Although I could have missed such an opportunity with all my apprehension about the camel! lol (Yes, the camels had a certain odor about them, but not too terrible in my opinion.)

Sharing our cruise adventures is the type of feedback I've enjoyed here for years. I hope you'll do the same when you return!

Happy to hear they didn't manage to scam you out of any money. I have found there are a lot of places (not just Egypt) where folks feel the privilege to ask for money when they or their property are involved in photo opportunities. We had a similar experience in Antigua, merely for taking a picture of a woman with a bundle of fruit on her head. Just remember they aren't as fortunate as we are. A small tip will keep them happy.

Hopefully you'll get up the nerve to ride a camel on your next trip. Be sure to come back and tell us all about it! :D

Next time you are on the board can you e-mail me. I have questions about your overnight excursion in Cairo. Your review convinced me to book with NCL! My e-mail is rmartinez1321@hotmail.com

Next time you are on the board can you e-mail me. I have questions about your overnight excursion in Cairo. Your review convinced me to book with NCL! My e-mail is rmartinez1321@hotmail.com

I was reading Jade reviews and came upon this thread. We will be on the Jade for our Holy Land cruise in Nov 2011. Glad you enjoyed your trip and thanks for the review and thoughts about the ship.

Had so much fun reading your camel story...it was hilarious. Asked my DH if he is planning to ride a camel in Egypt he said "heck yes!". But he did not know that they bite!!! Did you get a picture of Paul when his camel bit him and knocked him to the ground?

First off, I am now jealous of your future cruise! The Holy Land itinerary is in my bucket list, but unfortunately still not booked!

No pictures of Paul's camel incident. I was still occupied getting my camel turned around to head back! LOL But he does have the shirt that was torn as a momento. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Archived